Any VST Synth VS Oberheim OB-6

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
JunSev
KVRian
817 posts since 14 Sep, 2017

Post Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:46 pm

machinesworking wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:57 pm
JunSev wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:40 pm
machinesworking wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:49 pm
e-crooner wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:37 pm
Regarding backward compatibility, I think most brand names maintain their software products for a decade or so. How far does one have to be able to go back in time with a DAW project?
I have a 1978 Gibson Les Paul Pro I bought in 1998 for $450.
Software fades over time, needs updates that cost money, goes extinct etc.
No I'm sorry you're very wrong here, don't do over generalizations on things that simply are not true in all the cases:
Software fades over time
It doesn't, there are virtual machines and I know I can continue using that software even for decades if needed.
needs updates that cost money
Uh no, some companies offers even lifetime free updates; where is your paid upgrade?

Also again I can continue using the same software with virtual machines if necessary with some not-restrictive OS.
goes extinct etc
No it doesn't, I have my products and my keys saved in my external hard drive and in any case if I want to install the same compatible OS and virtual machine in my future pc It continues being there, is not eternal, but it could outlive me easily.

I had to, with all respect.
Sure, me being able to plug my guitar into any amp and play is just the same as you creating a tenuous at best emulation layer in your modern OS to host some VST and old VST host and use some MIDI program that may or may not be able to talk to the open OS emulating software in your setup and communicate with your modern DAW. Yeah, exactly the same, no issues. :lol:

The fact is software out now is temporary, because none of us do what you're suggesting, we simply move on, replace VSTs with new ones etc. etc. To pretend that software has anything like the longevity of hardware is just hard headed thinking. Now, with a lot of things this isn't an issue. Who wants to use GigiStudio when we have Kontakt? UVI? etc.
You know I really wish to never read any baseless arguments from people that think "they know about stuffs" so I don't have to come again and clarify things so wrong like this one yet again. Here we go:
Sure, me being able to plug my guitar into any amp and play is just the same as you creating a tenuous at best emulation layer in your modern OS to host some VST and old VST host and use some MIDI program that may or may not be able to talk to the open OS emulating software in your setup and communicate with your modern DAW. Yeah, exactly the same, no issues.
This process you're talking about is a little bit exaggerated and you really don't need to do big workaround like this in order to operate "legacy" software or in case the company or developer is not longer there.

I can simplify the process with some OS partition from where I can even start turning on my future PC/laptop all ready to go, no big deals, or even saving the VST files without the installer (perhaps supposing there is a new OS that can't operate those old installers?); even saying that I know there are/will be more compatible options.

You're argument is invalid and exaggerated.
:lol:
Yeah I know... is difficult to take you seriously.
The fact is software out now is temporary
Is not like you're trying to put it and I already told you why is not, come on... you even trying?
because none of us do what you're suggesting
I'm not suggesting to anyone, I'm telling you why your statement is wrong, the specifications necessary for VST longevity, reality and Facts.
we simply
No, please speak for Yourself. I don't think like you and many people don't think like you because your reasoning is wrong and your argument is exaggerated and wrong.
we simply move on, replace VSTs with new ones etc. etc.
If my favorites instruments are still functional why do I need to "replace it with new ones"? maybe you already have heard before: If ain't broke don't fix it. Also what about if I have some old project and the developer/company is not there anymore? and that particular VST is playing an important role in that track, why I would "replace with new ones" if that old one works for me so good and I invested my money on it?.

I don't believe in continuous over-consumerism nonsense, those old vst can do the job pretty well and are important part of projects and continues sounding good enough, I don't need to "replace with new ones".
To pretend that software has anything like the longevity of hardware is just hard headed thinking.
Just that it has that longevity and it can easily outlive many or any hardware instrument.

Again how you support the idea that hardware has more longevity than software? did you at least read what I said and why what you're saying is not true right? I'm still waiting you refute my proves, because you know... "you know about stuffs".
Now, with a lot of things this isn't an issue.
Ok... just that a lot of those "things" (from your argument that doesn't demonstrate anything) doesn't help with any "issue".

I had to again, with absolute respect machinesworking.

Bhan
KVRist
158 posts since 22 May, 2010

Re: Any VST Synth VS Oberheim OB-6

Post Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:27 pm

kvotchin wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:04 am
There isn't a software synth that exists that can hold a candle to that sound. That is why. That, and the nice hardware that comes with it, of course, with its immediacy and workflow.
Bingo - The OP is comparing youtube sonics and making a conclusion. I've had real synths as well. ( including an Obie Two voice.) Nothing in software compares to actual hardware sonic ally or resolution wise. It can't be done. And if you include the price of a decent hardware computer in your calculations ? and the cost of upgrades every 5 years. I sold that OBie 2 voice for 2500.00 about 4 years ago. Try selling your VST in 25 years and tell me how well it held it's value, Oh that's right it had little to no value in the first place.

machinesworking
KVRAF
1893 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Re: Any VST Synth VS Oberheim OB-6

Post Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:21 am

JunSev wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:46 pm
If my favorites instruments are still functional why do I need to "replace it with new ones"? maybe you already have heard before: If ain't broke don't fix it. Also what about if I have some old project and the developer/company is not there anymore? and that particular VST is playing an important role in that track, why I would "replace with new ones" if that old one works for me so good and I invested my money on it?.

I don't believe in continuous over-consumerism nonsense, those old vst can do the job pretty well and are important part of projects and continues sounding good enough, I don't need to "replace with new ones".
I'm sorry and I absolutely mean this with all due respect but I'm only quoting this, because you must have rushed through most of that, and it's obvious english isn't your first language. I don't want to misquote you because of that.

My point is pretty clear, I'm not talking about overt consumerism here, but simple things. Kontakt 6 is out, I've owned it since version 1.5, same with Komplete, since v2. NI do not offer backwards compatibility. You have to manually change each instance of Kontakt to the new version unless you like having 6 versions of Kontakt in your VST folder, or a spare computer or two around for songs from 2001 etc. This applies to all NI plug ins, and this is one of many. NI have also discontinued plug ins, they aren't the only ones. Freebies from 2005 in songs that have long since disappeared off my computer and the internet.

None of this is at the level of a piece of hardware, it flatly points to the transience of our systems. Couple this with switching DAWs, upgrading your computer and losing a few presets etc.etc.

Don't get me wrong, way more of my money and attention goes towards soft synths and samplers etc, and I really wouldn't even think of buying a FX hardware unit, but the main argument for hardware is that it's not susceptible to the above mentioned issues.

User avatar
JunSev
KVRian
817 posts since 14 Sep, 2017

Re: Any VST Synth VS Oberheim OB-6

Post Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:19 am

machinesworking wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:21 am
JunSev wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:46 pm
If my favorites instruments are still functional why do I need to "replace it with new ones"? maybe you already have heard before: If ain't broke don't fix it. Also what about if I have some old project and the developer/company is not there anymore? and that particular VST is playing an important role in that track, why I would "replace with new ones" if that old one works for me so good and I invested my money on it?.

I don't believe in continuous over-consumerism nonsense, those old vst can do the job pretty well and are important part of projects and continues sounding good enough, I don't need to "replace with new ones".
I'm sorry and I absolutely mean this with all due respect but I'm only quoting this, because you must have rushed through most of that, and it's obvious english isn't your first language. I don't want to misquote you because of that.

My point is pretty clear, I'm not talking about overt consumerism here, but simple things. Kontakt 6 is out, I've owned it since version 1.5, same with Komplete, since v2. NI do not offer backwards compatibility. You have to manually change each instance of Kontakt to the new version unless you like having 6 versions of Kontakt in your VST folder, or a spare computer or two around for songs from 2001 etc. This applies to all NI plug ins, and this is one of many. NI have also discontinued plug ins, they aren't the only ones. Freebies from 2005 in songs that have long since disappeared off my computer and the internet.

None of this is at the level of a piece of hardware, it flatly points to the transience of our systems. Couple this with switching DAWs, upgrading your computer and losing a few presets etc.etc.

Don't get me wrong, way more of my money and attention goes towards soft synths and samplers etc, and I really wouldn't even think of buying a FX hardware unit, but the main argument for hardware is that it's not susceptible to the above mentioned issues.
Ok machinesworking, is nice we have some mutual respect and is also good to discuss those things, the good and bad aspects; I guess my English will be better after this discussion too :D.
My point is pretty clear, I'm not talking about overt consumerism here, but simple things. Kontakt 6 is out, I've owned it since version 1.5, same with Komplete, since v2. NI do not offer backwards compatibility. You have to manually change each instance of Kontakt to the new version unless you like having 6 versions of Kontakt in your VST folder, or a spare computer or two around for songs from 2001 etc. This applies to all NI plug ins, and this is one of many. NI have also discontinued plug ins, they aren't the only ones. Freebies from 2005 in songs that have long since disappeared off my computer and the internet.
Ok I see that's a problem, but this is a problem more related with Version Upgrade without Backward Compatibility; this is not really something general about all companies, new versions of vst, synths, samplers and effects. This point from you is reasonable about some companies that don't offer backward compatibility, but is not a general rule for all because not all companies does moves like this.

All good.
None of this is at the level of a piece of hardware, it flatly points to the transience of our systems.
We are not bound to upgrade, we are not bound to follow everything from any new OS and certainly we also have the option of continuing operating those "legacy" software during a very long time without problems if that is what we want.

My english is not very good but I think that you get what I'm saying. :)
Couple this with switching DAWs
But I don't switch and probably never will, I really don't like the idea to learn a new daw and I'm not interested in any other daw neither, I guess I'm very happy with mine, even if the developers and company disappears I think that I will continue using it. You could
call me one of the most loyal customers.
upgrading your computer and losing a few presets etc.etc.
I don't have problems with upgrading because I have my external hard drive, my laptop hdd died slowly and before it died I took all of the presets I have created from my go-to synths, effects, projects ext. without issues; changed the hhd for a new ssd, all good, all the presets in its respective place, no problem.
Don't get me wrong, way more of my money and attention goes towards soft synths and samplers etc, and I really wouldn't even think of buying a FX hardware unit, but the main argument for hardware is that it's not susceptible to the above mentioned issues.
But this argument is not sustainable in all the cases in first place Because all of those above mentioned issues only are susceptible for reasons related to companies policies, not consideration for backward compatibility from those companies and politics from some OS and at the end The decision of the users.

We disagree in a lot of things, but all good, it was a good discussion.

User avatar
JunSev
KVRian
817 posts since 14 Sep, 2017

Re: Any VST Synth VS Oberheim OB-6

Post Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:52 am

Bhan wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:27 pm
kvotchin wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:04 am
There isn't a software synth that exists that can hold a candle to that sound. That is why. That, and the nice hardware that comes with it, of course, with its immediacy and workflow.
Bingo - The OP is comparing youtube sonics and making a conclusion. I've had real synths as well. ( including an Obie Two voice.) Nothing in software compares to actual hardware sonic ally or resolution wise. It can't be done. And if you include the price of a decent hardware computer in your calculations ? and the cost of upgrades every 5 years. I sold that OBie 2 voice for 2500.00 about 4 years ago. Try selling your VST in 25 years and tell me how well it held it's value, Oh that's right it had little to no value in the first place.
Everything is very very wrong right here in all this comment, I feel tempted... but maybe I will respond later...

User avatar
excuse me please
KVRist
290 posts since 10 Oct, 2018

Re: Any VST Synth VS Oberheim OB-6

Post Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:30 am

I don't get this discussion. It's not what you use, but how you use it.

AnX
KVRAF
5717 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: Any VST Synth VS Oberheim OB-6

Post Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:09 am

excuse me please wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:30 am
I don't get this discussion. It's not what you use, but how you use it.
not at KVR :wink:

User avatar
excuse me please
KVRist
290 posts since 10 Oct, 2018

Re: Any VST Synth VS Oberheim OB-6

Post Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:33 am

AnX wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:09 am
excuse me please wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:30 am
I don't get this discussion. It's not what you use, but how you use it.
not at KVR :wink:
At KVR it is simply: "I don't care what I do, I don't know how to do it anyhow, but I will tell you, and I get anxious when I would do something in such a way that it really leads to regular, steady, improvements as it comes to what I am doing. If I am threatened by 'improvement people' at KVR, then I am about to collapse. I can't handle that. To hell with them. The thing I fear most, yes. That I would become famous some day. Or even somewhat popular. I don't want to be famous. I don't want to excel. I just want to be here at KVR, doing my thing, you know. And let no one dare to stop me!"

chk071
KVRAF
22432 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Any VST Synth VS Oberheim OB-6

Post Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:39 am

Poor developers... imagine we'd all still be using Synth1, because, "it's not what you use, but how you use it". They'd all have to beg on the street, or change the branch. :P

*Opens his DAW and enjoys the sound of his payware synths*

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
17602 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Any VST Synth VS Oberheim OB-6

Post Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:51 am

excuse me please wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:30 am
I don't get this discussion. It's not what you use, but how you use it.
I can't even begin to figure out where to begin to show how blatantly wrong this is. If this were true, there would be no need for different types of instruments. Let's play Beethoven's 5th symphony with kazoos.

The statement is so utterly ridiculous that it almost doesn't even dignify a response. But somebody had to say it.

The statement is utterly ridiculous.

User avatar
excuse me please
KVRist
290 posts since 10 Oct, 2018

Re: Any VST Synth VS Oberheim OB-6

Post Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:52 am

Nvm
Last edited by excuse me please on Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
54515 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Any VST Synth VS Oberheim OB-6

Post Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:04 am

excuse me please wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:30 am
I don't get this discussion. It's not what you use, but how you use it.
... at least, that's what she said'


:hihi:

User avatar
HTT
KVRist
32 posts since 14 Jul, 2019

Re: Any VST Synth VS Oberheim OB-6

Post Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:12 am

excuse me please wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:30 am
I don't get this discussion. It's not what you use, but how you use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjpOVSg_gtM

User avatar
excuse me please
KVRist
290 posts since 10 Oct, 2018

Re: Any VST Synth VS Oberheim OB-6

Post Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:13 am

wagtunes wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:51 am
excuse me please wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:30 am
I don't get this discussion. It's not what you use, but how you use it.
I can't even begin to figure out where to begin to show how blatantly wrong this is. If this were true, there would be no need for different types of instruments. Let's play Beethoven's 5th symphony with kazoos.

The statement is so utterly ridiculous that it almost doesn't even dignify a response. But somebody had to say it.

The statement is utterly ridiculous.
Beethoven wrote 722 works, 9 symphonies, 9 concertos, 32 piano sonatas. But most of his work is written for a few instruments or are songs. Then again, other composers have done the same, with different results. However, when it comes to popularity, Beethoven only needed a single piano to shine.

chk071
KVRAF
22432 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Any VST Synth VS Oberheim OB-6

Post Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:25 am

vurt wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:04 am
excuse me please wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:30 am
I don't get this discussion. It's not what you use, but how you use it.
... at least, that's what she said'


:hihi:
All those penis enlargement and Viagra ads make me a bit doubtful, TBH. :?

Return to “Instruments”