Any VST Synth VS Oberheim OB-6

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tbf he is thinking about changing his name to "christian genius billionaire kanye west" :shrug:

that's a point wags, you love your prog...

try to imagine emerson stabbing a 25 key midi controller :hihi:

Now I'm offended. It can't get any better than this. No way.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=618e57pWdGw

Every generation thinks the music they grew up with was the greatest. But of course that is only subjective. One guy's sanctum is another guy's junk.

e-crooner wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:02 pm Every generation thinks the music they grew up with was the greatest. But of course that is only subjective. One guy's sanctum is another guy's junk.
Yeah, except I love music going all the way to the 1700s so that doesn't really apply to me. And as for more contemporary music. everything from 40s show tunes to the latest dance tracks, Katy Perry and Taylor Swift. In fact, go and check out my Musical Round Robin thread that I started back in April. I'm up to over 1,700 songs listened to.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=522861&p=7359820#p7359820

You will find just about everything on there.

So no, I don't think the era I grew up in has the best music. I'm still not even sure if I could pick a best era as there was so much great stuff from many eras.

1700s? I.e. classical or religious music, or the jolly MA folklore stuff.
I can't stand any of it because it doesn't have synths in it :hihi:

e-crooner wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:13 pm 1700s? I.e. classical or religious music, or the jolly MA folklore stuff.
im a fan of "rough music" from that period (ish)

e-crooner wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:13 pm 1700s? I.e. classical or religious music, or the jolly MA folklore stuff.
I know you're just trying to be funny, but I believe you. So many people have such a narrow window of what they consider "good" music that it boggles my mind.

And each day I die a little bit more inside.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:18 pm
I know you're just trying to be funny, but I believe you. So many people have such a narrow window of what they consider "good" music that it boggles my mind.

And each day I die a little bit more inside.
Actually, I am almost serious. Even though I do like some songs where synths are rarely used, all my favorite songs have synths in them. I love the contrast of synths and "real" instruments in the same song.

I wouldn't take other people's taste too seriously, you are the only one that needs to like and be happy with what you consider good music. Well, you and your gf/wife, ideally.
Neither is the taste of music a reason for snobbery.

vurt wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:39 pm
excuse me please wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:35 pm Well, this Genesis song sounds like noodling. Same with classical music. Nice tunes, but then they noodle away. That said, I am a simple man who likes simple catchy tunes.
:o
watcher is one of the catchiest tracks ever.
you'll be humming it for days!

babada ba babada baaa baaaaaaa babada ba ba ..
catchiest tracks ever TO YOU, dont forget that, TO YOU :wink:

as some smart person in kvr said, before writing anything as a fact dont forget to write:

in my opinion

Elektronisch wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:58 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:39 pm
excuse me please wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:35 pm Well, this Genesis song sounds like noodling. Same with classical music. Nice tunes, but then they noodle away. That said, I am a simple man who likes simple catchy tunes.
:o
watcher is one of the catchiest tracks ever.
you'll be humming it for days!

babada ba babada baaa baaaaaaa babada ba ba ..
catchiest tracks ever TO YOU, dont forget that, TO YOU :wink:

as some smart person in kvr said, before writing anything as a fact dont forget to write:

in my opinion
tbh it was a joke.
i like genesis, but id hardly call their work "catchy" :)
in my opinion :P

I did some further tests in Diva. If you fire up Diva, pick the Jupiter 8 starter, and change the filter to the Uhbie, you can get in the ballpark of that sound. Also, some 2-pole lowpass filters can get in the ballpark for some sounds. One trick to make the filter sing a bit is to be in the lower cutoff freq range and use lower amounts of filter env, something like 20-40%, while having a relatively high resonance setting. I tried a similar trick with an analog hardware 2-pole and also got in the general ballpark, for that gritty hollow sound. By no means a 1 to 1 but capturing the general character of the sound.

One can kind of emulate the SEM filter sweep behavior with a synth that has two layers with separate filters. It would take more cutoff offset tweaking to get it right, I suppose.
https://app.box.com/s/z947pacc6jfai0vwq9l8cyull3tk3gp2

(The filter sound as such sucks, I know :D I tried Sylenth1 because one can do that sweep with a single control, the global cutoff knob.)

Hard to quantify this, without having an OB-6 in front of you - but there are (not so) subtle timbre differences when you're listening directly to the output of the OB v. compressed video audio (YouTube). An example, if you get a chance to sit down with an OB-6, is to find a lead patch. Listen to it, then try it with Unison and some detune, (if it is not already on - or turn these off, if they are already on). Then listen. It's the same basic timbre, but with a unison detune/spread - is often brought to a completely different level. Seriously, from OK to fricken explosive. This is one little example. It would probably be difficult to hear the difference via YouTube audio - but definitely unmistakable in person. Its the last mile stuff though... the last 15-20% of timbres that are easily squeezed out of an OB-6.

I would be interested in hearing some Wagtunes examples of OB-6 versus soft-synths. I am certain there are some timbres which could be made close. I did em myself. The OB-6 though, has the possibility of taking more things, in greater direction, imo and experience.
chk071 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:43 pm
jdoo wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:33 am Basing opinion of the OB sound on compressed youtube soundbites? Well done.
TBH, i never understood why someone wouldn't be able to judge a synth's base sound by Youtube videos. A Moog sounds like a Moog, a Oberheim sounds like a Oberheim, and a TB-303 sounds like a 303, regardless of 192 kbit/s MP3. Basically, what you are saying is that nobody would be able to judge whether the music he listens to is any good, because, everything on the net comes MP3 encoded these days.

No comprende, really.

Whether or not it is wise to judge before you got your own hands on with the synth is another topic.

Return to “Instruments”