Best virtual piano?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Actually, I need to ask, does anyone know what and how much of a difference there is between the sample quality between the Additive Keys stuff (Modern Upright and Studio Grand) and the NI Alicia's Keys & Noire offerings?
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Honestly, it's just a matter of personal taste. Both the NI and Xln audio (addictive keys) pianos are high quality and sound amazing, you can check their official websites or youtube for countless demos and decide what suits you best.

NI Noire it's an amazing-little dark sound

After having both NI and XLN, dumped both companies for their pianos. Either one will do for general production, but both have "holes" in their velocity range that make them annoying for full range soloing.
Of course, XLN is cheap enough if bought in the secondhand market ($3-$9 per piano or $30 max for all four.)

Personally have been much happier with Pianoteq 6 and Grand 3.

Pianoteq. Hands down.
Once you go Pianoteq there is no going back to samples.
Pianoteq sounds and feels like you're playing a real piano, not a recording; there is no wall between you and the sound. There is no disconnect between performer and instrument like there is with samples.

If money is no object, get Piantoteq Studio.
You will stop thinking in terms of whether or not your track needs a piano, but rather WHICH piano, modern or vintage, how should it be miked, how hard should the hammers be... or maybe you need a fortepiano, a square piano, an electric piano, a virginal, a harpsichord, a clavichord, a clavinet...
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

The dynamics are usually where sampled pianos fall down for me. I prefer PianoTeq, as a result.

Granted, I thought the 256MB Akai Splendid Grand Piano was nice at one time (with lots of reverb), so samples can be good at times too... but I won’t go back.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

kvotchin wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:50 pm
ramseysounds wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:58 pmBuy a real one.
*sigh* . . .

I used to own one, FWIW. And have played many.

There is no way a piano could be put anywhere, in my current dwelling.

So that would be a no, but thanks for your thoughtful, helpful response nonetheless.
I have been lamenting reading about all these people supposedly giving away pianos because they don’t want them and can’t sell them... because I’ve no space to adopt one.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

it's been on my "buy list" for so long. but i just can't justify 500€ for a piano right now.

I don't know why are you being downvoted

Another vote for pianoteq. It's my go-to 'need a piano'. I still have other samples / products for more 'character' options in the mix for variety, but pianoteq is the one I use for writing or just noodling around and will only be layered or replaced if it doesn't feel like it fits.

Jace-BeOS wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:09 am
kvotchin wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:50 pm
ramseysounds wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:58 pmBuy a real one.
*sigh* . . .

I used to own one, FWIW. And have played many.

There is no way a piano could be put anywhere, in my current dwelling.

So that would be a no, but thanks for your thoughtful, helpful response nonetheless.
I have been lamenting reading about all these people supposedly giving away pianos because they don’t want them and can’t sell them... because I’ve no space to adopt one.
yeah. lots of free piano ads in my area. they are usually just cheapo pianos. but bechsteins. you have to pay for moving them and tuning. but they are okay for free. lots of organs also given away for free.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

oof i just demoed it. It's so... A L I V E. They really improved it. When you switch from Pianoteq to samples is like listening to a corpse. I need to buy this baby soon

NI Noire is where it's at.
You are currently reading my signature.

Do this with Pianoteq:

Hold a chord down in the bass using your left hand. Press the notes gently so they do not sound, but keep them held.

Now stab the same chord with your right hand a few octave up, fast and hard, pulling your hand from the keys quickly. Keep holding down the chord in you left hand.

Try that with a sampled piano.

Now understand that that is at work with every note you play on Pianoteq. It’s called sympathetic resonance, and real pianos have it. This is why you are wasting your time if you are using samples.
Last edited by jamcat on Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I like NI The Grandeur. As has been mentioned though, it really depends on your personal preference. So many different pianos.

jamcat wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:28 pm Now understand that that is at work with every note you play on Pianoteq. It’s called sympathetic resonance, and real pianos have it. This is why you are wasting your time if you are using samples.
A lot of sampled pianos have sympathetic resonance samples.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”