Q: 14-bit MIDI CC messages and plug-ins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm curious:

Who makes effect or instrument plug-ins that can be automated by 14-bit MIDI CC messages? Which plug-ins?

Who makes hardware controllers that can send 14-bit MIDI CC messages?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Ideally the SFZ specification would provide support for combining two 7bit CCs into a 14bit CC but I can't think how it would be done. A modular could, though. Drive v1 between 0v and 0.9v with ccA for the upper 7 bits. Drive v2 between 0v and 0.1v with ccB for the lower 7bits. Sum the voltages to get 14bit precision over 0v to 1v range. (And then you've got your control voltage that you can use for whatever you want.)

Off the top of my head...U-he plugins can receive them and Novation Remote SL MkII can send them.

That's a fairly niche market, then. Any others?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

It's a fairly niche requirement. Many controllers only send 7bit pitchbend, which is a common 14bit message. Not a lot of demand for 14bit CC support. In hosts, VST automation bypasses the whole problem.

Lemur can be configured to send 14 bit and/or NRPN messages, I use it on an iPad to control various synths and effect plugins in Cubase.

I send 14-bit (MSB/LSB) messages to Studio One with a BCR2000. Since Studio One internally uses its own high resolution system for musical data the 14-bit MIDI messages are converted to (part) automation for the controlled parameter of the plugin. So basically every plugin is controllable with 14-bit messages in Studio One.

As soon as you export it as MIDI it will be lost in translation since it automation data.

daw.one -- how are you assigning 14-bit midi messages in studio one? My controllers are sending 14-bit but not able to assign to plugin parameters. (plugin delay time for instance)

Return to “Effects”