Do you think freebies are good for your business?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This question is for established sound designers and plugin developers especially and people who are trying to make a living out of music.
Do you think that giving away music, soundpacks and sample libraries or even instruments and plugins for free is helping growing your business?
And if yes, how often would you do that? Occasionally? On a regular basis?
Last edited by enCiphered on Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Good question.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Maybe it is only good, if it motivates to buy a product then, aka wanting more.

You mean something like a stripped down version of a plugin for example?

I dont think freebies are the way to go. It kind of cheapens your product in my opinion.
I think if you a have a good, tidy aesthetic online and just make a good product the people will slowly come.
From there large discounts like 80% off are super compelling to get people through the door.
At least those large percentage discounts are what would get me to buy something I wouldn't of otherwise.

joshsolis wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:40 am I dont think freebies are the way to go. It kind of cheapens your product in my opinion.
I think if you a have a good, tidy aesthetic online and just make a good product the people will slowly come.
From there large discounts like 80% off are super compelling to get people through the door.
At least those large percentage discounts are what would get me to buy something I wouldn't of otherwise.
Good point, thanks.

Generally I think not.. Only freebies that have pushed me to buy something, are soundtoys little versions.
(Huge) discount once a year has been the most effective with me :oops:

I have done a loot of freebies and let me tell you that often people don't even say thanks properly, let alone transition to buying anything from me.

My policy with work now is: if the person who hopes to profit from my work but can't return anything of value to me (let alone tell me clearly what they need) then I'm not playing.

People who ask for free samples of my work (on their track) can submit for a Mix Walkthrough or piss the f**k off. After all, I have pages of my work on display so asking for me to do things to prove what is already proven tells me they are the thievin' type. I learned this the hard way after every time I did the work they said they were so delighted with they started using it, they ghosted as soon as I asked for the contract (which I had clearly earned seeing they were using it).

Interestingly, while I use some freebies in my music work, I could lose them with no sense of loss as stock (or paid) units do the job as well or better once I understand what I am after.

:-)

yes of course it is. it helps bring people in for a browse. if nobody is looking at your products nobody will buy them, and giving away free products is a proven way to get people to look at your catalogue.

contrary to popular belief, even cracked software is great for business. thats why a lot of companies let their software get cracked, or some let their lite versions get cracked.

it needs to be done right though, you need to dangle sparkly products in their faces while they get the product. if you just provide a generic blank sign-up page people will happily get their freebies and then move on. the point is to bring in new customers, people who didnt know you existed or have not really looked at your products. returning customers will already have an idea what you are about (so they have earned the freebies anyway!).

the most important factor though, is having quality products. if your products are not desirable then people will download their freebie and walk away (and probably stop using the freebie after no time at all).

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”