IK MUltimedia UNO Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
UNO Synth

Elektronisch wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:29 am And about Virus ti not working on Windows 10, you shouldnt worry, still works here :)
SLiC wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:58 am +1 - My Virus TI software is more stable under windows 10!
Thanks guys, good to know. Maybe it's indeed the time to upgrade my dinosaur system :)
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 7:32 pm Currently we have native speakers translating pages and we cover English, Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French, and Russian. I'm glad we are able to translate into your preferred language.
Btw, the Russian page for Uno is indeed translated quite well. Good grammar and proper use of technical terms :tu: That's something quite rare in music gear industry.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:11 am
BONES wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:02 am That is correct, you can sequence it from a MIDI track without the editor.
Cool, is there some stuff that is only progammable from the editor?
Yes, a few things are unavailable from the front panel, such as PWM/Shape via Env or LFO, filter keyboard tracking, mod wheel routings and the intensity of the performance buttons on the front panel (Scoop etc.).

However those parameters can also be controlled via MIDI CC's (chart is in the PDF manual), so if you can't use the editor you can assign some knobs on your MIDI keyboard to control them.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:45 pm
BONES wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:02 am That is correct, you can sequence it from a MIDI track without the editor.
Yes, a few things are unavailable from the front panel, such as PWM/Shape via Env or LFO, filter keyboard tracking, mod wheel routings and the intensity of the performance buttons on the front panel (Scoop etc.).

However those parameters can also be controlled via MIDI CC's (chart is in the PDF manual), so if you can't use the editor you can assign some knobs on your MIDI keyboard to control them.
I see, thanks a lot.
I guess I'll need a MIDI cable to sequence Uno without the editor, not USB?

recursive one wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:11 amCool, is there some stuff that is only progammable from the editor?
A couple of things but you may be able to find out their CC no.s from the manual and adjust them via MIDI.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

recursive one wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:29 pm
AdvancedFollower wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:45 pm

I see, thanks a lot.
I guess I'll need a MIDI cable to sequence Uno without the editor, not USB?
You can use either USB or MIDI. The USB connection just shows up as a virtual MIDI Interface in Windows and your DAW. However I'd recommend MIDI and using the USB just for power (from a separate phone charger) since this reduces hum and noise significantly.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:17 am You can use either USB or MIDI. The USB connection just shows up as a virtual MIDI Interface in Windows and your DAW. However I'd recommend MIDI and using the USB just for power (from a separate phone charger) since this reduces hum and noise significantly.
Thanks, I see.

Anyway, I'll pass on Uno. I have Microbrute so Uno doesn't actually seem to give me much that I don't have covered. Better DAW integration could be a factor but it appears I'm not getting it unless I upgrade to Win10 which I still can't be arsed to do.

I'dl rather save up for some of the Behringher clones, most likely K-2 or Pro-1.

One thing Uno gives you is instant recall of 100 patches. You also get a second oscillator, a second envelope, an arpeggiator, a better sequencer and velocity modulation. I'd say Microbrute would have a lot of trouble covering all those bases.

On what are you basing the need for Win10? Have you tried to run the app in W7? I can't imagine it not working.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:48 am One thing Uno gives you is instant recall of 100 patches. You also get a second oscillator, a second envelope, an arpeggiator, a better sequencer and velocity modulation. I'd say Microbrute would have a lot of trouble covering all those bases.
You are correct, but I've also got quite a few decent analogue emulations, like Repro, Diva, Monark. Mainly I got Microbrute in order to finally have at least one 100% analogue device in my setup - just for the sake of it :D It sounds terrific and is very fun to play with but when I need patch recall or velocity modulation I'll reach for a plugin.

Still may get something more advanced than the Brute in the future but most likely not Uno.
BONES wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:48 am On what are you basing the need for Win10? Have you tried to run the app in W7? I can't imagine it not working.
IKM say Win7 is not supported and I think I've read that people indeed couldn't get the app to run on Win7. I may try later on, if it's supposed to be possible to istall it without the synth.

There may have been some able to get it working, but neither Ryan nor myself have seen this directly. Please also note that another reason that Windows 7 would not be supported is that it will be true End Of Life during January 2020, for all versions of it including Pro. That means it won't even be getting security updates, so naturally this absolute EOL OS is not going to be something that our users will be able to safely use, thus we wouldn't be able to support it for our products either.

BONES wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:48 am One thing Uno gives you is instant recall of 100 patches.
Been looking at a few videos of this BONES.. Not been following this thread but is there a software editor to save your own patches etc? I was thinking about hooking this up to the Akai MPC X for sequencing too. Also would it be worth me making new patches for this? So far I'm liking what I hear. £150 seems like a great bargain for this. Sounds pretty cool too, I like :tu:

rob_lee wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:31 pm
BONES wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:48 am One thing Uno gives you is instant recall of 100 patches.
Been looking at a few videos of this BONES.. Not been following this thread but is there a software editor to save your own patches etc? I was thinking about hooking this up to the Akai MPC X for sequencing too. Also would it be worth me making new patches for this? So far I'm liking what I hear. £150 seems like a great bargain for this. Sounds pretty cool too, I like :tu:
There's a standalone Mac/Windows editor, IOS editor as well as a VST editor. I prefer using the standalone editor and upload my patches to the UNO. Patches 21-100 can be overwritten while the first 20 are in ROM. With the VST editor you're only limited by the hard drive space on your computer, but 80 patches is plenty for me on a monosynth like the UNO.

However recently I've mostly used Synthmania's patches since they sound so good
https://youtu.be/H3tZv7VESfc
https://youtu.be/l8qAMuhrePs

AdvancedFollower wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:34 pm However recently I've mostly used Synthmania's patches since they sound so good
https://youtu.be/H3tZv7VESfc
https://youtu.be/l8qAMuhrePs
There are some nice patches in that collection... the Uno does continue to suprise. Thanks for pointing out that collection. I commented on his youtube channel and subscribed. - Scotty

They might be great but who has 40 minutes to waste listening to those videos?

BONES wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:57 am They might be great but who has 40 minutes to waste listening to those videos?
Headphones+Office work = all the time in the world to listen to synthesizer patch demos :tu:

Don't you have any work to do? If I put something on to listen to at work, I hear about the first 30 seconds and then, next thing i know, it's finished and I've missed the rest of it completely.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”