One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (mmGhost wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zarf wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:41 pm But I know that some people seem to insist that a score below 3 means that there is a 'problem' with the track, or it is 'bad'.
I guess I'm one of them. But for my own part I should probably clarify that I don't insist on anything. It's just an intuitive feeling, and I'm pretty sure that goes for all of "us." :)

My interpretation of a numerical scale is simply shaped by the ones that I've encountered in my past: The 0-6 scale at school, where 6 was the top grade - 3 or less was a disaster. At university, a 1-4 scale with 1.5 as the (realistic) top grade - anything below 2.5, unacceptable. Papers throwing the dice on movies and records - 3 or less definitely a signal that something doesn't ain't right in the critic's eye... the list goes on and on.
Last edited by schiing on Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

What? I can give a rating to all the tracks? I'm sorry I misunderstood the system. I thought I had to pick the top five. Next month I will definitely figure it out! Thanks a lot for the clarification! I'm surprised I didn't get disqualified for that... Thanks anyway, I'll fix it.

zarf wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:41 pm I believe I tend to vote out of 'love' - if we use these terms :) In fact, that is why I don't want to give a score that somebody else will 'take the wrong way'. I must say I am a little confused by your idea that 2 motivations leads to a 2 point scale :-?
Regarding "I like her therefore I give 1 point more" - I can say with some confidence that I don't think I ever do that. I give points based on the music, not the person :wink: At least, that's what I think I do with my current level of self awareness :D
But you have fear a low number will make the person who created the music think its bad. On the one hand its just a mirror of your own fear (nobody loves me (my music)), on the other hand a 4 in that 1-7 range could have (and probably will have) exact the same effect as a 2 now... more numbers don't help that problem they would only hide it from your own consciousness...
Its easier for someone who gets a 2 now to think its could be at least close to a 3. A 4 is almost a 5... To deal with low rates for your own music is easier with a 1-5 choice...
In the end we do need feedback. If I get only low numbers and no 4 or 5 at all, I know I need to change something to get better. I am very happy if I get at least one 5, as I do more experimental music and also love to take a risk those 2s I get as well don't hurt then, because there are also people who understand what I am after...
I only participated 2 times yet, as often I start to play with the OSC synth but I am not convinced with what I come up myself and then let it go...
Btw. you can also give a 2 out of love... Feedback would make no sense if it isnt honest...

Warning - nerdy detailed discussion follows - please skip if not of interest to you :)
Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:10 pm But you have fear a low number will make the person who created the music think its bad.
No! I do not think I have a fear of that! I have an expectation that some of the time the person receiveing the '2' will think that I think that means the track is 'bad'.
I don't fear this. I think it will happen (because of how people tend to interpret that score, as Schiing just evidenced, for example, if I read that right). I do not fear it, but I do choose to avoid it sometimes.
Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:10 pm On the one hand its just a mirror of your own fear (nobody loves me (my music))
Maybe... But I wouldn't assume that feeling on the part of someone else :o
Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:10 pm , on the other hand a 4 in that 1-7 range could have (and probably will have) exact the same effect as a 2 now... more numbers don't help that problem they would only hide it from your own consciousness...
Wow. Maybe you are right. I don't tend to think so, but I don't know, of course. There seems to me to be a perception that 'below the midpoint' means 'bad'. This is not true for my-scores-according-to-me, but it does seem to be a way people interpret it sometimes! So I'm not sure that what you say is true - I would like to find out!
I am seriously considering your suggestion that I am hiding things from my own consciousness though. It sounds plausible. People do that kind of thing without knowing it... and I am a person :D
Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:10 pm Btw. you can also give a 2 out of love... Feedback would make no sense if it isnt honest...
Absolutely. I agree completely that honesty is vital! And all the times I have given a 2 have been out of love, to the best of my self-knowledge, so I agree with that too :tu:

schiing wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:07 pm
zarf wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:41 pm But I know that some people seem to insist that a score below 3 means that there is a 'problem' with the track, or it is 'bad'.
I guess I'm one of them. But for my own part I should probably clarify that I don't insist on anything. It's just an intuitive feeling, and I'm pretty sure that goes for all of "us." :)

My interpretation of a numerical scale is simply shaped by the ones that I've encountered in my past: The 0-6 scale at school, where 6 was the top grade - 3 or less was a disaster. At university, a 1-4 scale with 1.5 as the (realistic) top grade - anything below 2.5, unacceptable. Papers throwing the dice on movies and records - 3 or less definitely a signal that something doesn't ain't right in the critic's eye... the list goes on and on.
That makes perfect sense to me and I totally get why that is a reasonable and normal way to interpret the scale!
I didn't mean any judgement by saying some people 'insist'. Sorry if it came off that way.
All I really meant is that, despite the normality of that way of thinking, it is certainly not the only way to approach it. As evidenced at least by me, but I think others have said they view the scale as relative rather than absolute too...

No problem, zarf - just putting my opinions in the right 'bin' :D

But you're right - if someone gave me a 1 or a 2 I'd definitely go 'huh, why don't they like my track...??' [tear ducts exploding]

But I never open the scoresheet, so please feel free to give me any score you like - there'll be no crying! :lol:
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Rellik wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:11 am Congrats everyone on a great round! I’ll take the second copy of Discovery please - most of my music output is OSC so I barely use commercial stuff, but I’ve wanted Discovery for about half my life :pray:
As a happy owner of a Nord Lead II, I have always been a fan of Discovery Pro and have used it expensively for years.
I no longer touch the Nord Lead anymore since Discovery replaced it. I must have created a thousand presets for it, including presets that I created on the Nord Lead.

voting: math says: the fact _that the same people who enter the contest each month are the same people who vote_ leads the system to a "convergence" that can't be avoided, whatever the voting system.
A weak "correcting rule" could be that who won in a month will not be allowed to vote in the next round. So those five can still partake but can't vote until they loose again. (But I really doubt that you would approve such rule, LOL)

Return to “Instruments”