Cubase 10.5 is here now....

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Artist 13 Cubase Elements 13 Cubase Pro 13

LeVzi wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:02 amMaybe it does add something to those who want it, but Cubase users who do just fine haven't had it, and I didn't see an outcry for it.
So because you didn't think of it first, it's not going to be any good? Full of yourself much?
And what you deem should speed things up, doesn't mean it will.
I'm not deeming, I am assessing the available evidence and drawing an objective conclusion.
I've managed without it this far, and will do until I upgrade to V11 and its there anyway.
Yeah and I managed for several years without MIDI, doesn't mean I didn't benefit from it when I finally started using it. There is zero logic to anything you are saying, you are like spoiled child.
Makes me wonder if you even use it. And if you do, drawing straight lines doesn't count :roll: If you think it's perfect and easy and fast to use ? :roll:
I certainly don't use it like that. I press the write button and record my actions. If I need to I'll go in and tidy it u. But the way Cubase records the automation means I only need to do that about one-tenth as often as I had to in Orion and when I do, the operation usually takes about one-tenth of the time. So yeah, I'd rate it as being about 100 times better than my old host, which I used to think wasn't too bad.
Not as simple as that, in this day and age of 4K video recording on smartphones, the format (by default) is not something Cubase can import
I did say "professional" and I don't know any professionals who shoot video on their smartphones (I work in TV production) or anyone who takes raw video footage and tries to do sound design on it. There is a process called "editing" that people go through before they start worrying about that stuff.
Actually, I'd say the same about you
Then you should click on the link in my signature and have a listen to some of my work. Or you can find it on Spotify, Apple Music/iTunes, Google Play Store or you could buy a CD from Amazon if you were really keen. I see from Discogs that you put out a handful of stuff a decade ago but nothing that I can listen to and no credits since.
Well if you want to see other peoples processes and learn from them, wind your neck in, and ask.
I'd ask if I thought there would be any value in your answers but you don't seem to put much thought into your process so it's hard to imagine you'd have anything of value to contribute.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

LeVzi wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:02 am
BONES wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:01 am
LeVzi wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:37 amI am still waiting for them to overhaul the automation system, it is AWFUL right now, and they need a more user friendly approach to it.
I think it's great - intuitive, easy and fast. It's one of the things I enjoy most about Cubase.
Makes me wonder if you even use it. And if you do, drawing straight lines doesn't count :roll: If you think it's perfect and easy and fast to use ? :roll:
I use automation on a daily basis and it works perfectly fine for me, quick and easy.

They overhauled it a few versions ago btw. Made things easier and even more accessible to edit in multiple ways, including easy curve drawing.
More BPM please

One thing that always bothers me, but I put it down to user error, is every time I draw complicated wiggly shapes Cubase always overrules me with straight point-to-point lines.

Is this a “feature” or am I doing something wrong? The snap to grid setting doesn’t affect it, already tried that.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:03 pm One thing that always bothers me, but I put it down to user error, is every time I draw complicated wiggly shapes Cubase always overrules me with straight point-to-point lines.

Is this a “feature” or am I doing something wrong? The snap to grid setting doesn’t affect it, already tried that.
In Automation Panel > Automation settings you can lower the Reduction level to maintain your wiggly shapes.

daw.one wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:13 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:03 pm One thing that always bothers me, but I put it down to user error, is every time I draw complicated wiggly shapes Cubase always overrules me with straight point-to-point lines.

In Automation Panel > Automation settings you can lower the Reduction level to maintain your wiggly shapes.
:tu:

Awesome! Thanks man.

dionenoid wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:58 am
Ah_Dziz wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:14 pm Bones, I mean something that adds small variations to timing, pitch bend, and ccs on a per note basis. Not a generative sequencer.
You can do that with the Logical Editor.
I can do it with the input transformer or the track modifiers too, but It doesn’t work on live midi for whatever reason. It’s been a problem for ages for me.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

dionenoid wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:01 pm
LeVzi wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:37 amI am still waiting for them to overhaul the automation system, it is AWFUL right now, and they need a more user friendly approach to it.
I think it's great - intuitive, easy and fast. It's one of the things I enjoy most about Cubase.
I use automation on a daily basis and it works perfectly fine for me, quick and easy.

They overhauled it a few versions ago btw. Made things easier and even more accessible to edit in multiple ways, including easy curve drawing.
I still find it awkward and it slows me down badly when doing it. I dunno, maybe i'm using it wrongly, but it just seems to be a mess when drawing anything. Points all over the place and never accurate.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

daw.one wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:13 pm

Actually this has made a massive difference. This may have been my issue with it from the start. Thank you.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Ah_Dziz wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:55 pm
Ah_Dziz wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:14 pm Bones, I mean something that adds small variations to timing, pitch bend, and ccs on a per note basis. Not a generative sequencer.
I can do it with the input transformer or the track modifiers too, but It doesn’t work on live midi for whatever reason. It’s been a problem for ages for me.
This is a really good tutorial about the Logical Editor :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYg6CbyXfYw

Hope that helps :tu:
More BPM please

LeVzi wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:12 pm
dionenoid wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:01 pm

I still find it awkward and it slows me down badly when doing it. I dunno, maybe i'm using it wrongly, but it just seems to be a mess when drawing anything. Points all over the place and never accurate.
Saw that the other post helped you, that's great.

If you want points at exact places you can change their position from the status lines (top of project window) too, either type in values or move with the mouse.

Drawing automation points follows your Snap settings in the project window. You can use that to your advantage to draw at exact timing values. Or switch Snap off to draw freely (i draw a lot of micro edits, my snap on/off key is dying of overuse :D )

And i always add stuff i want to Automate to the Quick Controls, this way you can easily write from the Quick Control window, plus at the same time see what's going on, without having to open the plug-in you're automating.
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:05 pm
Ah_Dziz wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:55 pm
This is a really good tutorial about the Logical Editor :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYg6CbyXfYw

Hope that helps :tu:
I know how to program that. It doesn’t work in real time though. I’d love to see that added which was the point. The closest it comes now is having some of the transformations work on playback.

That may be changed in the latest version. That’s really about all I am missing.

Group editing in a folder track is still unusable for reliable comping across multiple tracks. Try comping using lanes and track versions for multi track drums for example and it gets confused very quickly. It also gives erroneous "out of sync" errors. It is so close to being complete it hurts but it has been broken since it was introduced. It must be be very low on their priorities.
Last edited by Scotty on Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'll preface my next comment with the fact I've had a few beers and know I'm up for a fight :D

Junkie XL has several thousand tracks in his template and uses Cubase to score multimillion dollar Hollywood blockbusters so any "issues" you guys are mentioning must be user error.

*Runs for the door*

Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:17 pm I'll preface my next comment with the fact I've had a few beers and know I'm up for a fight :D

Junkie XL has several thousand tracks in his template and uses Cubase to score multimillion dollar Hollywood blockbusters so any "issues" you guys are mentioning must be user error.

*Runs for the door*
I know you are having some fun with the post but for those who seriously use this line of argument just look at each revision for the bug fix list. Steinberg, to their credit, publishes these fixes with each iteration. When someone says that Cubase works perfectly for them it is because they are using a subset of the features like most of us. The program is very deep and most of us don't rely on its full feature set. I haven't found any show-stoppers. Steinberg does a good job of sorting those out but there are certainly bugs which are documented and tracked by Steinberg. Have another beer. I think I'll join you.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”