DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

e-crooner wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:16 pm Dune sounds too spacey for my taste, too bombastic, too modern, too sterile, too EDM. I think it is not for me.
Dune 3 sounds incredibly lush and analog here. Guess it depends on the patches you use..... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

e-crooner wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:16 pm
Dune sounds too spacey for my taste, too bombastic, too modern, too sterile, too EDM. I think it is not for me.
I think...you are correct.

Dune is not for you.
:tu:
바보

GRUMP wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:48 pm
e-crooner wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:16 pm
GRUMP wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:50 pm
Teksonik wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:12 pm
e-crooner wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:49 pm According to your description I could put a bell on voice 1, strings on voice 2, and a choir sound on voice 3, for instance, correct?
[...]

So the Choir won't be a super realistic sampled choir but it's still possible to get some nice vocal sounds.

Bells are quite easy either using the Fm or WT Oscs and Lush Synth Strings are super easy. :tu:
DUNE has superb Qualities to make VOX-Sounds I have not seen in an other Synth before. If you want a real Choir take a Sampler. If you better want to turn your Sample into a Wavetable (or create a Wavetable anyhow!) and make a VOX-Sound / Airy Pad Dune is - i. m. O. - a really advantageous and Time saving Choice.
No no, I meant synth choirs like Fairlight sounds.

Dune sounds too spacey for my taste, too bombastic, too modern, too sterile, too EDM. I think it is not for me.
You mean ARR1. I <3 ARR1. The old Stuff in general. The Music of my Youth and father has left its Traces ...

DUNE - i. m. O. - is the Basis for what you make out of it - and unique Capabilities to make Waves/OSC swing in a very pleasant way.

ARR1 and Stuff like that - I think that is not a Question of the Tool, but of the Source Material.

Depeche Mode "See You" Choir was a PPG - and a PPG was quiet limited. But the People were very creative. Wolfgang Palm is a Master of WT-Creation.

You shouldn´t expect that DUNE can´t produce such Sounds. You should just expect a steep Learning Curve :D

I have started focussing on VOX 1.5 yrs ago and there was "nothing". Today I´m swimming in VOX-Sounds and Wavetables and I´m still learning a lot very Day. Didn´t even touch the Conversion of real Voice yet...

And don´t expect any Synth to be EDM or what ever. It all depends on the User who is tweaking it.

Little Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNpuPbzigsE

My Experience: DUNE itself is "up to date". If you start making your own Waves the 80s will come back faster than you´ll maybe like ;-) I have lots of 80 VOX Sequencers, Basses and so on on my HD that remind me of nothing else than a blue Box called PPG.
Where is this preset available? It is awesome!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

e-crooner wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:16 pm No no, I meant synth choirs like Fairlight sounds.

What synths are you comparing Dune to?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I highly (highly!) recommend trying DUNE with the Acon Verberate 2 reverb plug-in. ;)

I already got the ARR1 preset in Xpand!2.

Unfortunately the demo version comes only with a small selection of presets. 057 and 060 seem promising, though.

v1o wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:05 pm
e-crooner wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:16 pm No no, I meant synth choirs like Fairlight sounds.

The new Xils for instance, it sounds rather different in my view.

Caine123 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:12 am Where is this preset available? It is awesome!
Thank You :) No Availability yet. Product Development takes lots of Time, requires legal Notes, brings Tax-Affairs and so on ... Any Idea or Recommendations?

e-crooner wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:00 pm I already got the ARR1 preset in Xpand!2.

Unfortunately the demo version comes only with a small selection of presets. 057 and 060 seem promising, though.
The VOX/Choir Stuff in XPAND is nice - if played between C2-4 ... but let us be honest - ARR1 is different. Try ROLAND.

Teksonik wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:46 pm
I've gotten some very nice vox sounds from Dune 3 and I'm certainly no genius....... :lol:
Aren´t you?! That is - for me - the fantastic Thing about DUNE. Its USP. With all those OSC and OSC Modes it is easy to get the right Vibrations. Huge Pads, VOX Sounds, additive harmonic Complexity - no Problem with DUNE. It is a real Door opener and Time saver!

An other Quid little Demo. I´d really like to know how they made such Souns in the 80s :?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqSLjOSMS9Y

I really wish people wouldnt always say 'PPG' when they are talking about the wave.

After all PPG have made a lot of stuff back then including some of the most impressive modular systems in synthesizer history, thus when you are talking about the wave (which is written in lowercase) you ought to say wave and not just PPG.

(No offense, but you see that all the time and its just wrong because it is like saying 'The Roland' when you are talking about a Juno or a Jupiter.)

e-crooner wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:02 pm

Xils stuff is pretty vintage. Try Arturia.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I also really like the vox, choir and voice sounds Dune 3 can make....my second favorite synth for it so far. :)
Dune 3 is still a wonderful synth. If it would get microtuning one day it would be heaven. Of course i guess the demand is not very high for this.
I also really love the simple but effective FM synthesis, especially in combination with the envelopes, good filters, unison engine and mod-matrix i use it more than any of my "better" FM synths like FM8 etc. I also hope here one day for a 4-OP FM and especially more waveforms, dedicated envelopes for each FM-OP and some more but as workaround you can do audio rate modulations with another OSC and other great things unique to Dune 3.
Really a good synth and currently my Top Nr. 3 synth (well it is always in my Top 3-5, yes things can change often).

GRUMP wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:22 pm
e-crooner wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:00 pm I already got the ARR1 preset in Xpand!2.

The VOX/Choir Stuff in XPAND is nice - if played between C2-4 ... but let us be honest - ARR1 is different. Try ROLAND.
I don't think I've heard ARR1 played beyond its sweet spot, either :wink:
In my opinion virtually all instruments (synth, electric and acoustic) have a sweet spot, outside which the sound ceases to sound good and characteristic.
Last edited by e-crooner on Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

v1o wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:11 pm
e-crooner wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:02 pm

Xils stuff is pretty vintage. Try Arturia.
Try Arturia for what?

Return to “Instruments”