donkeyt - interference - indie rokk

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some more bizzle for any of then as likes this type of thing.

Started as another FL forum contest entry (incorporating a midi chord progression provided by forum member Clint - the 3 chord thing at the end, with variations throughout in parts). The contest was using FL plug-ins (and your own recordings/samples) only, but since I submitted it I've done another version (this one) which is slightly different in arrangement, also a bit heavier and faster, using some of me other stuff, not just FL effects.

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/don ... erence.mp3

Basically it's a two and a half minute scuzzy song with about a minute of delay gubbins on the end which I liked. Plenty of P Huk stylee bass 6 (in Fiesta Red) action, which is of course, nice. :hihi:

Yay! Another DT track. I think I'm going to download all your stuff and throw it on my MP3 player so I have something to listen to other than my own drivel.

Well done as usual. Though there is something different sounding about your voice on this one. Can't put my finger on it. Distortion? Different reverb? Some other kind of processing? Just doesn't sound as natural as normal.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:13 am Though there is something different sounding about your voice on this one. Can't put my finger on it. Distortion? Different reverb? Some other kind of processing? Just doesn't sound as natural as normal.
Cheers. Made me think about it...There was a distorted vocal track running through much of it, but it was falling probably falling between two stools and being distracting in most of it. I've cut it out except in the bits it provides real emphasis - i.e. the 'share the interference' parts. Works better now I think. :D Same link.

Much better. Now the distorted part really stands out when it comes in.

Really enjoyed this (Pretty much a given, at this point). My only criticism would be in the mixing of the vocals, which I think for most of the track are a bit too loud. It works better when the music amps up a bit (and in the distorted vocals part), but in other sections it is a little over-bearing and really 'in' the mix. But I liked the intro, and the ending was class :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:47 pm Really enjoyed this (Pretty much a given, at this point). My only criticism would be in the mixing of the vocals, which I think for most of the track are a bit too loud. It works better when the music amps up a bit (and in the distorted vocals part), but in other sections it is a little over-bearing and really 'in' the mix. But I liked the intro, and the ending was class :tu:
Cheers, always takes me a bit of tinkering to get vocal automation levels right - I always think that in stuff like this the singing needs to 'fight a bit' anyway! Think this might be a bit more balanced now (same link).

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:23 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:47 pm Really enjoyed this (Pretty much a given, at this point). My only criticism would be in the mixing of the vocals, which I think for most of the track are a bit too loud. It works better when the music amps up a bit (and in the distorted vocals part), but in other sections it is a little over-bearing and really 'in' the mix. But I liked the intro, and the ending was class :tu:
Cheers, always takes me a bit of tinkering to get vocal automation levels right - I always think that in stuff like this the singing needs to 'fight a bit' anyway! Think this might be a bit more balanced now (same link).
I guess. But it felt a bit detached, and more like the music was doing the fighting. It is much better now. Still a bit 'peaky' in parts, but that gives the 'fight' and rawness, while not overpowering the backing, and feeling like a more cohesive band performance...imo, of course :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:36 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:23 pm
I guess. But it felt a bit detached, and more like the music was doing the fighting. It is much better now. Still a bit 'peaky' in parts, but that gives the 'fight' and rawness, while not overpowering the backing, and feeling like a more cohesive band performance...imo, of course :tu:
I was agreeing with you! Singing was too loud and not 'fighting enough was what I was trying to say (poorly..). :lol:

That'll do for now, I'll have another go tomorrow, time for some shit telly.

It's really close. Just some bits might benefit from being tucked in a little. I'm guessing you are only riding the volume, and not using so much compression.

The songwriting and performance is brilliant as usual. The delay outro worked very well. :tu:

Apparently there has been a bit of work on the mix. It is not bad but I felt the frequencies are not balanced across the spectrum. I would love to hear a pro mixer have a go at your tracks.

donkey tugger wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:46 pm Some more bizzle for any of then as likes this type of thing.

Started as another FL forum contest entry (incorporating a midi chord progression provided by forum member Clint - the 3 chord thing at the end, with variations throughout in parts). The contest was using FL plug-ins (and your own recordings/samples) only, but since I submitted it I've done another version (this one) which is slightly different in arrangement, also a bit heavier and faster, using some of me other stuff, not just FL effects.

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/don ... erence.mp3

Basically it's a two and a half minute scuzzy song with about a minute of delay gubbins on the end which I liked. Plenty of P Huk stylee bass 6 (in Fiesta Red) action, which is of course, nice. :hihi:

Simply sublime.

I watched the first half of 'Control' last night. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421082/

You got some of that dark stuff going on but without the wannabee shit as well.

I found you on the FL Forum as well a couple of days ago, unrelated to any stuff.

Making this music with fruityloops! :love:

If there was any justice in this world, you might not be rich and powerful, but you would have a decent audience to listen to your exceptionally good music.

You hit the point.

I'd be happy to buy your music.

As good as it gets.

(I'm hyper critical as well so don't take these words too lightly)

EDIT:
One criticism - I'd turn your vox down a tad if you can. Not that they aren't great and all that. But it would make for a better balanced mix. Just how it came out on my speakers.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:59 pm It's really close. Just some bits might benefit from being tucked in a little. I'm guessing you are only riding the volume, and not using so much compression.
Ah, just read the rest of the thread. Seems old DT knows what time it is.

-2dB on the Vox - Gold!

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:59 pm It's really close. Just some bits might benefit from being tucked in a little. I'm guessing you are only riding the volume, and not using so much compression.
A bit of both, but probably not quite enough compression then -probably needs just leveling out a little more. I'll go and do some stuff to do with transportation for a few hours, then have a go tonight.

Frantz wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:59 pm The songwriting and performance is brilliant as usual. The delay outro worked very well. :tu:

Apparently there has been a bit of work on the mix. It is not bad but I felt the frequencies are not balanced across the spectrum. I would love to hear a pro mixer have a go at your tracks.
I think I can probably cut a bit more of the mids from the guitars - always a bugger with fizzy distorted stuff - cut too much and it sounds weak and lifeless, not enough and it's too harsh. Let me see what I can do. :D

codec_spurt wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:44 am

I watched the first half of 'Control' last night. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421082/

You got some of that dark stuff going on but without the wannabee shit as well.

I used to drink in the same pub as Sam Riley in Leeds and saw his band (10000 things) there a few times. Knew him to say alright to and have a quick chat, nice chap! Never realized at the time he was an ac-tor as well though, so it was a bolt from the blue when he turned up in 'Control' !

Return to “Music Cafe”