What are we still lusting for?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FapFilter wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:55 pm Looking at my equipment i came to realize that i have been perfectly happy with what i have for a long time now, which has been unthinkable like maybe 10 years ago.
That sounds like me too.
And it definitely would have been unthinkiable because as just a blind amateur stumbling around, the whole experience of making sound for me was mostly a by product of playing with new toys. The stumbling around was more fun than the music. It still is, but it was, too. 8)
I will always check out new weird stuff, but new releases of utilitarian stuff like eq/comp/filter.. Im too spoiled for choise to look at much these days.

One thing that came up here recently;
Something like Ultraloop/Rhythmiq/etc that has a bunch of live audio inputs, and outs...
Half the fun I have is building chains to that effect, and its pretyt niche for sure, but I am still missing a solid purpose built vst instrument that shuffles live audio like that.
ImageImageImageImage

Non-subscription version of Roland plugins.

Shiek927 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:17 am Roland Cloud to release Cloud version of the JD800/990. Would love to see the V-Synth and JP8000 as well.

Would also love to see vsts of the Nord Lead, Waldorf Q and Novation Supernova. I'd be content with only one, but more or even all three would be fantastic. It's a shame that they're all pretty unlikely since there respective developers just don't seem very interested at all in software plugins. Novation hasn't done anything new since the ancient K-Station vst and Clavia haven't done anything at all.

I suppose a Yamaha AN1x VST would be fun, though I'm really just throwing stuff out now haha. I simply love the 90s/2000's sound and synths from that era have such a great character, which makes it all the more shame that there's hardly any desire to make authentic plugins from that era. It feels like every developer instead is more focused on making cleaner and cleaner wavetable synths when I'm not the biggest fan of either wavetables or cleanliness: it's character that I want from my synth plugins.
hehe, i was wondering too, when the analog craze is over and we're going to see the first meticulously modeled emulations of the Microkorg/MS2000. :party:

Of course it'd “simply“ be porting of code, but some of them might actually have been written in assembly code, as I think is the case with the Virus line that's tied to Motorola 68000 CPUs and as far as i understand can't be ported easily without a more or less complete rewrite from scratch.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

And it definitely would have been unthinkiable because as just a blind amateur stumbling around, the whole experience of making sound for me was mostly a by product of playing with new toys.
Funny thing is: before joining the software party kinda late in 2005, i was using two workstation keyboards (not at the same time... the first from 1992-1998 or so, the other from 1998-2005) and was happy. Ok, the first one just had 128 General MIDI sounds that covered more the bog standard acoustic side of sounds, but when i got the XG MIDI Keyboard in '98 with as far as i remember around 450 sounds or so, many of them synthetic, i was in heaven.

But i also think that, even though some software could sound pretty good back then, it still had to prove itself as a serious option to make fantastic sounding stuff without conpromise.
So you were always chasing for the next big leap that brought salvation. At least i was.
Of course even current software will continue to become even better, making maybe even state of the art analog instruments sound “bad“ in comparison at some point, but it is now perfectly established that you definately won't suffer in sound quality when you're working completely ITB.
Last edited by FapFilter on Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

vurt wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:38 pm
chk071 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:10 pm I still need to buy that thing that will automagically make me pro. It's a life lasting quest...
a baseball cap with "pro" on the front, gets me all the work i need :tu:

Ah so that was you the other day I saw out in the Arndale centre! With the big red MAGA hat on. :tu:

Steady, easy now vurt lad.

:x

Make
Audio
Great
Again

:party:

donkey tugger wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:33 pm
chk071 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:05 pm :lol:

I doubt many natives would actually understand what he said...
Me and him originate from probably about 10 miles apart at most, and I have no f**king clue.

Awww Dude...

The War of the Roses man...

It's so last century like...

Duuudes, just get over it yah!

:hihi:

cryophonik wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:04 pm I'm still waiting for another software compressor. I only have 57 of them now. Tell me how the #*%$ I'm supposed to make phat and sick mixes with only 57 compressors to choose from. TELL ME HOW!!! It's a buncha bulls*** :x :x :x

Don't exaggerate. I bet you only have about 40 (paid for).

But I know what you mean. (Reading between the lines in your post)

I felt the same way when I bought Acon Equalize 2 -

https://www.jrrshop.com/acon-digital-equalize

Reduced from 99 bucks to 29 bucks, I'd wanted to get this one for a while so could. not. reeeesist. ahhh..

Actually you get a further discount, and if you use the code 'FORUM' or was it 'GROUP'? (iirc) it gets you down to 25 bucks or so which at the better than usual exchange rates at the moment turned out to be about 20 quid!

:party:

It's why I'll usually buy something from there before anywhere else. Also the serial no. delivery system seems to be sorted out now and is instant (talking from a few years back now).

No, not another Equaliser!

It will get some use though, just like my 57 other compressors!

(ok I only really have about 40 or so [paid for])

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAlDbP4tdqc

codec_spurt wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:50 am

Me and him originate from probably about 10 miles apart at most, and I have no f**king clue.

Awww Dude...

:lol:

We're actually both Lancastrians, though I've lived well over half my life in these 'ere badlands over t'border, whilst m'laddo there has defected to posh Cheshire... :hihi:

FapFilter wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:27 am
Shiek927 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:17 am Roland Cloud to release Cloud version of the JD800/990. Would love to see the V-Synth and JP8000 as well.

Would also love to see vsts of the Nord Lead, Waldorf Q and Novation Supernova. I'd be content with only one, but more or even all three would be fantastic. It's a shame that they're all pretty unlikely since there respective developers just don't seem very interested at all in software plugins. Novation hasn't done anything new since the ancient K-Station vst and Clavia haven't done anything at all.

I suppose a Yamaha AN1x VST would be fun, though I'm really just throwing stuff out now haha. I simply love the 90s/2000's sound and synths from that era have such a great character, which makes it all the more shame that there's hardly any desire to make authentic plugins from that era. It feels like every developer instead is more focused on making cleaner and cleaner wavetable synths when I'm not the biggest fan of either wavetables or cleanliness: it's character that I want from my synth plugins.
hehe, i was wondering too, when the analog craze is over and we're going to see the first meticulously modeled emulations of the Microkorg/MS2000. :party:

Of course it'd “simply“ be porting of code, but some of them might actually have been written in assembly code, as I think is the case with the Virus line that's tied to Motorola 68000 CPUs and as far as i understand can't be ported easily without a more or less complete rewrite from scratch.
There's so many incredible vintage digital synths, I honestly would love to see a craze where all the old classic VA's were brought back!

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:36 am
codec_spurt wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:50 am

Awww Dude...

:lol:

We're actually both Lancastrians, though I've lived well over half my life in these 'ere badlands over t'border, whilst m'laddo there has defected to posh Cheshire... :hihi:

This is getting even more complicated than I'm happy with.

I'm glad it's working out for you both!

:help:

Shiek927 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:20 am ...
There's so many incredible vintage digital synths, I honestly would love to see a craze where all the old classic VA's were brought back!

https://www.behringer.com/Categories/Be ... ans(en|en)

Oh and for DT and vurt:

Hit the North!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5zav2yrC7M

Bingo master's breakout!!!

It is nice to see so many people have hardware on their minds as well as software.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Not lusting after much as far as software goes - other than being able to sell some Kontakt libraries from devs lacking enough customer focus to allow license transfers

And I also wouldn't mind some hardware - maybe https://sensel.com/ and https://roli.com/products/seaboard

yeah, it's funny how it works:
not too long ago, when we only had the occasional Moog Voyager, DSI Evolver, or SE-1X among all the those virtual analogs and other digital synths, everyone was shouting how VA sounded like crap and only analog could sound awesome and now you hear more and more how exactly these ‘crappy sounding‘ synths are having ‘that certain something‘

FapFilter wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:55 pm For me that would be the Berlin Modular project from u-he, even though i am really happy with Bazille in the meanwhile, otherwise maybe a distortion unit that blows everything i have out of the water, or some Fabfilter metering suite would be nice to have, but to be honest, not really a necessity
You are waiting for something thats not happening, something you did not heard, saw, something that does not exist. You only have an image created by your own expectations. Why to wait for something imaginary? How old are you buddy? :-D

Return to “Instruments”