Cubase 10.5 is here now....

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Artist 13 Cubase Elements 13 Cubase Pro 13

Edited : You know what, i'd written a bunch of replys, but then thought, why, not gonna make a difference, and gonna keep on going on n on. But let it be known, Bones, my little Aussie buddy, (explains a lot ;) ) none of it was taken personally, its the internet, and guess what, meaningless, unless it's useful information, in which case it's invaluable. But I'm not hiding or ashamed of my music, in fact, the stuff I wrote 10 years + ago is still online, so I went to the trouble of looking so hard to find a bit of it for you to call sh1t so you can feel better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1g7MGCPVZU
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

After the first two-and-a-half minutes I wasn't expecting metal guitars, nice change up. It reminds me a bit of a band/artist who used to get some dancefloor play in the Goth/EBM clubs over here in the mid-90s. I can't think of their name but they used the same giant kick sound and had the same kind of energy as this. Not my cup of tea in any way but well made, for sure.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Anyone who runs Cubase 10.5 on a Windows 7 setup? I know that Steinis do now longer officially support Windows 7 since 10.5, but since I don't plan to change my current Win 7 based setup anytime soon, I wonder whether it's safe to upgrade to 10.5 (I still have an unactivated upgrade license sitting in my account).

I suspect that there aren't too many elemental changes in the code base from 10.x to 10.5, so I guess it should run. I specifically wonder whether plugins like the new Padshop 2 and the current edition of Groove Agents SE work on Windows 7? I'm pretty sure that all the bundled Cubase FX and the instruments / synths should work.

Does anyone run Cubase 10.5 on a Windows 7 machine and if so, what has your experience been like so far?

Try it. You can run multiple Cubase versions simultaneously.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:07 pm Try it. You can run multiple Cubase versions simultaneously.
Thanks, but I cannot try it myself currently, otherwise I would obviously not have asked. Anyone who runs Cubase 10.5 on a Windows 7 setup please share your experience. Thanks!

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:04 pm Does anyone run Cubase 10.5 on a Windows 7 machine and if so, what has your experience been like so far?
There's a topic on the SB forums about it, seems to work fine except for the video handling :
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 3&t=172756
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:49 pm
Izak Synthiemental wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:04 pm Does anyone run Cubase 10.5 on a Windows 7 machine and if so, what has your experience been like so far?
There's a topic on the SB forums about it, seems to work fine except for the video handling :
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 3&t=172756
Thanks, that a very helpful link!

I'm trying to switch over to Cubase 10.5 Pro because my that's what my mixing engineer uses. I'd like to do all the mix prep for him in Cubase, using his mix template in order to save him a bunch of time and mental energy. Any tips for a brand new user? Who makes the best Cubase tutorials? I'm coming from Reaper btw.

Multibomber wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:02 am I'm trying to switch over to Cubase 10.5 Pro because my that's what my mixing engineer uses. I'd like to do all the mix prep for him in Cubase, using his mix template in order to save him a bunch of time and mental energy. Any tips for a brand new user? Who makes the best Cubase tutorials? I'm coming from Reaper btw.
Youtube search Cubase Google Hangouts and Greg Ondo, Chris Selim, Jeff Gibbons

I must be getting old. I bought Artist 10.5 last week, and I still haven't used it in anger yet. Been planning on getting back into music after quite a few years break, so I bought Cubase, in the process of buying a few VSTi's and setting up the studio again (forgot I had so much gear in storage!). Once upon a time I'd be straight in there with new gear, using it right away, but this time I've been buying stuff and just haven't even got around to using it yet (summer's here, the beaches are warming up).

I find it hard to believe I can spend $500 and just let it sit there in the laptop. I did fire it up after I got it registered and f**ked around with the dongle for a few hours (that hasn't got any easier, has it? :roll: ). But first impressions?.......it's all a bit black isn't it? When did Cubase get so dark? Looking forward to playing around with the loopmash thingy though...that's something I really wanted around 10 years ago. Now to buy a Wavestation, a 303 plugin, probably something esoteric and new, then think about the Lexicon PCM s/w and see how long I can ignore those as well.

What's wrong with me? I should be all go-go-gadget hands frothing at the mouth wanting to get stuck in.

kritikon wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:51 am I must be getting old. I bought Artist 10.5 last week, and I still haven't used it in anger yet. Been planning on getting back into music after quite a few years break, so I bought Cubase, in the process of buying a few VSTi's and setting up the studio again (forgot I had so much gear in storage!). Once upon a time I'd be straight in there with new gear, using it right away, but this time I've been buying stuff and just haven't even got around to using it yet (summer's here, the beaches are warming up).

I find it hard to believe I can spend $500 and just let it sit there in the laptop. I did fire it up after I got it registered and f**ked around with the dongle for a few hours (that hasn't got any easier, has it? :roll: ). But first impressions?.......it's all a bit black isn't it? When did Cubase get so dark? Looking forward to playing around with the loopmash thingy though...that's something I really wanted around 10 years ago. Now to buy a Wavestation, a 303 plugin, probably something esoteric and new, then think about the Lexicon PCM s/w and see how long I can ignore those as well.

What's wrong with me? I should be all go-go-gadget hands frothing at the mouth wanting to get stuck in.
I bought a couple of seats of Elements earlier in the year and a full on crossgrade to full on cubase pro. Seems they are still doing them as well for 150 bucks. Insane. Just need proof of using Studio One or Ableton or wtf. Didn't even need to provide proof for mine. Full on Cubase for a bit more than a hundred quid. And they are at it again!

I've been pissing about on an old machine with cubase elements 8 - and it's not so great, but fun. I've been holding out to register and when I hook up via internet I'll get Elements 10 and Cubase 10. Point 5. Whatever. And you get to use all versions before that. Steinberg have their own way of doing things. This is just nostalgia for me. Having been one of the early adopters for Pro-24.

In 1986, Pro-16's successor, Pro-24, saw the company shift its focus to the exciting new Atari 520ST platform. With programmer Werner Kracht on board, Steinberg took full advantage of the ST's built-in MIDI capabilities and processing power.

As the name suggested, the Atari's larger memory and faster processor allowed Pro-24 to offer a further eight tracks of sequencing than its predecessor, but it also crucially allowed much more flexibility in terms of track recording and song arrangement.

https://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech ... ase-406132

One of the first people ever to have Cubase 1.0 on the Atari ST in 1989. And certainly one of the first people to ever get VST 3.5 - the first example of hardware int software. Around 1998.

I was there at the beginning man. And their support was a lot more shit way back then. Then again, it had to be because none of us had a clue how to use a computer. We hadn't even seen one before.

The dongle thing really f**ked things up for Steinberg, then again, it really saved their bacon. Any reverse engineer worth his salt knows the HASP was the holy grail. https://sentinel.gemalto.com/software-m ... l-hasp-hl/

But you can move around it. It can be risky though. You need to be on the ball. Steinberg can be the best of worlds or the worst of worlds. It's probably best not to rely on machine based verification, but if you have to, you have to, you can shift it. A story for another day.

It's workable. It's all there is. And you will like it and learn to love it mister. You will be assimilated! :borg:

As for the background darkness and colours - they are flexible. You can brighten your day up a little bit if you want. May not be ideal. But it's doable. Give it a go.

Looking forward to playing around with the loopmash thingy though...that's something I really wanted around 10 years ago. Now to buy a Wavestation, a 303 plugin, probably something esoteric and new, then think about the Lexicon PCM s/w and see how long I can ignore those as well.

Lol. Loopmash was last century. Never mind 10 years ago. Wavestation: Korg do a decent version. 303: Behringer are doing hardware now in a colour of your choice. Have you just woke up from a coma?

Lexicon? Meh, most of us just use Valhalla and it's 'good enough'.

Cognitive Techological Dissonance. I wouldn't worry about it.

You have an absolute cornucopia of software und hardware at your fingertips. It's overwhelming. It's contradictory. And don't look for help or consensus on line! You need to find your own way out of this path...

You have Cubase Artist! One of the most powerful musical softwares ever known to mankind. And better, you probably have a computer you can run it on that doesn't shit out after 10 minutes!

The kids these days don't know what they are doing.

They are too busy taking courses and paying money to find out how 'they too can squareline and top off any dynamic they had left in their waveform' kind of thing.

They say the loudness war has been won. For the better. But music is just white noise these days. And everyone knows it. No one cares.

Good to see you around kritikon my good man.

:hug:

"Cubase 1.0 on the Atari ST in 1989"
Yeah, I remember that. Actually the old midi Cubase was a great sequencer. I ended up making controllers for things like Junos in hex code - bloody great long sysex strings and midi logical editors - it's amazing what could be done just with midi, and I always found Cubase rock solid when it was pre-audio. I remember those chunky old dongles for Ataris. Actually I had a dongle from SX2, but I bought a new one, as I assumed it would have all moved on by now - looked much the same though, just longer.

"Wavestation: Korg do a decent version. 303: Behringer are doing hardware now in a colour of your choice. Have you just woke up from a coma?"
Yeah, the Korg VSTi is what I'm buying - probably the whole bundle. I do still have a real one but dying, almost dead now. Probably buy ABL for the 303, though you're right, there seems to be a good choice of h/w nowadays. I'm sorely tempted by some of the cheapo Behringer analogues coming out, and I can even get them here in NZ - used to be difficult sourcing h/w electronics here without tripling the price.

Coma? Nah, just got bored of music and being stuck in a dingy room in front of screens and keyboards. I got out into the world an awful lot more. I live up in the subtropical north now, so I'd rather be on a beach or out in the bay on my boat with the penguins. Sun and heat aren't conducive to aggressive electronic music, I found - I'll probably be dong some dub, maybe ambient noodlings - my old acid/techno days were likely a product of living in cold, wet, grey Manchester - left all that behind. And I can crank up the volume as my neighbour is several acres of bush.

Must admit the choice and price make it so much easier nowadays though - surprised at the plethora of good s/w and very affordable analogue h/w.

I still have a copy of Cubase 3, I think it's from around 1995. The dongle had to be inserted into the parallel (printer) port.
IMG_20150127_124927.jpg
Too bad I don't have a floppy drive, I would like to know if it still works :hihi:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pro 24.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”