DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

e-crooner wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:20 pm
AnX wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:12 am
e-crooner wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:57 pm Can't one save and load layer presets? Might be a useful feature...

Since it is not multi-timbral anyway, I think 3 layers would be enough, but each one complete with its own filter (or at least filter routing), envelopes etc. Currently the number of layers implies a flexibility that is not really there as the layers share a lot.
osc, filters and envs are separate for each layer, they are not shared in any way
Ah ok, I had not selected a single layer when I changed things, so I had not noticed. So, basically the entire GUI except for the upper right quadrant is per layer. So it would definitely make sense to use different colors for the different layers. When it all looks the same one might get lost regarding what is on which layer. Sylenth1 only has two layers, but they have different colors.
RTFM

Caine123 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:47 pm I bought the upgrade. Im not back yet. Is dune 3 fully compatible to dune 2 and does it replace dune 2? Thx
Even though I still have Dune 2 installed, but I only use Dune 3 now. It replaced it for sure :) There are also the original Dune 2 presets inside D3.
Don't miss the current important update which you can right click any parameter (well most of them) and modulate them by a modulator :)

Personally, I haven't see the need for more than two voices (layers). I like to program one sound only per track (not a band in a box preset!) I even like to play arpeggios with keys, so I don't use the automated ones. So, two layers with unison and effects is more than enough for me. It also make patches management easier :)

AnX wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:44 pm RTFM
No thanks, a synth needs to be intuitive enough to understand without using a manual :wink:

EnGee wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:30 pm
Caine123 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:47 pm I bought the upgrade. Im not back yet. Is dune 3 fully compatible to dune 2 and does it replace dune 2? Thx
Even though I still have Dune 2 installed, but I only use Dune 3 now. It replaced it for sure :) There are also the original Dune 2 presets inside D3.
Don't miss the current important update which you can right click any parameter (well most of them) and modulate them by a modulator :)

Personally, I haven't see the need for more than two voices (layers). I like to program one sound only per track (not a band in a box preset!) I even like to play arpeggios with keys, so I don't use the automated ones. So, two layers with unison and effects is more than enough for me. It also make patches management easier :)
Yes, 8 layers without multi-timbrality is pointless overkill.

there are genres in EDM where stacking.layering whatever certain sounds (to make leads big & BIGGER) are pretty standard.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

That's why EDM sounds so irritating.

mladi wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:55 pm there are genres in EDM where stacking.layering whatever certain sounds (to make leads big & BIGGER) are pretty standard.
Oh, that explained why EDM "friendly" synths have all many layers. Is the original Virus also has many layers?

Well, Dune 3 is really a good general purpose synth. It can do various sounds. Maybe not that gritty sound, but there are other synths for "sharper/harsher" sounds. I like to use D3 for "clean" sounds mostly :)

e-crooner wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:33 pm
No thanks, a synth needs to be intuitive enough to understand without using a manual :wink:
dont use it then and stop moaning if you're too stupid to work out something so simple

go and polute another thread
Last edited by AnX on Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

e-crooner wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:34 pm

Yes, 8 layers without multi-timbrality is pointless overkill.
multi-timbrality in software is totally pointless

I found a suitable tool for you:

And yes, Dune 3 is simple and intuitive. No fancy and esoteric features on surface, manual only explains some subtle details.
there are genres in EDM where stacking.layering whatever certain sounds (to make leads big & BIGGER) are pretty standard.
I would say that' standard for any modern production, not only EDM. Layering vocals has been a commonplace for decades now.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

EnGee wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:16 pm Well, Dune 3 is really a good general purpose synth. It can do various sounds. Maybe not that gritty sound, but there are other synths for "sharper/harsher" sounds. I like to use D3 for "clean" sounds mostly :)
Virus TI is multitimbral (4 or 16 parts depending on the model) and each part has global unison. They aren't mixed up like in Dune
EnGee wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:16 pm Maybe not that gritty sound, but there are other synths for "sharper/harsher" sounds. I like to use D3 for "clean" sounds mostly :)
Yes, clean/mellow/soft is what it does best, but it can do some really cool acids too.

Regardsing layers in Dune3, they aren't hard to understand but the useability is not the best imo. It happended more than once when I thought I was editing one of the layers but it was actually the global page, or vise versa. SOme sort of colour coding would help. It also cold have at least a basic mixer (volume/pan) for the layers.

In fact I rarely use that "differential unison" thing in Dune for layering. I use it mostly as global unison and when I need a layer with different settings I just add another isntance in my DAW. Furthermore, I when I layer things I actually prefer using different synths for different layers.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Thx a lot. I have still older peojects where i ised d2 thats why i need to check if it loads :)
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

recursive one wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:02 am Virus TI is multitimbral (4 or 16 parts depending on the model) and each part has global unison. They aren't mixed up like in Dune
If I want to buy a hardware synth, it would be between a Virus and Yamaha Modx!
Yes, clean/mellow/soft is what it does best, but it can do some really cool acids too.
Yes. It also can do very nice pads and also it has great brass sound. So, for 80's sounds it is perfect. Anyway, no one synth can fill everything. Sugar Bytes Factory can be a good companion to D3 (It has grittier and punchier sound than Dune 3).

Regardsing layers in Dune3, they aren't hard to understand but the useability is not the best imo. It happended more than once when I thought I was editing one of the layers but it was actually the global page, or vise versa. SOme sort of colour coding would help. It also cold have at least a basic mixer (volume/pan) for the layers.
I think one layer is enough for me! It has a great unison anyway and I don't want just one thick sound that so big dominating the whole spectrum!
In fact I rarely use that "differential unison" thing in Dune for layering. I use it mostly as global unison and when I need a layer with different settings I just add another isntance in my DAW. Furthermore, I when I layer things I actually prefer using different synths for different layers.
I like also to make every sound in its own track. It is easier to mange this way (effects and mixing later).

AnX wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:07 am
dont use it then and stop moaning if you're too stupid to work out something so simple

Ignoring your antisocial tone, it is not intuitive at all. Since they use the wrong term (voice rather than layer) on the GUI, it has nothing to do with stupidity when one doesn't get that GUI.

e-crooner wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:23 pm
AnX wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:07 am

Ignoring your antisocial tone, it is not intuitive at all. Since they use the wrong term (voice rather than layer) on the GUI, it has nothing to do with stupidity when one doesn't get that GUI.
how is this complicated? i find dune a pleasure to work with, and if 'voice' is the term they're using, it takes a second to get used to that.

ppl (am not exluding my own sometime behavior), love to nitpick, argue, and rant on this forum; good that there are saner ppl here too, tho...

Return to “Instruments”