E-MU 1616m, 1212m, 1820m, 0404 Audio Interface - Complete Windows 10 (1903 & Above) Installation Guide

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
thank you thank you thank you, I will just try it.

I have another Question to the owner of a 1616m PCI-e and PCMCIA card.

In my Studio PC is the PCI-E Card. With my laptop I use the pcmcia Card.
Both works fine but some time ago it began that every few seconds and some times every few minutes a high loudly piep sound with a peak i can see in Patchmix and Cubase but there is no micor or something else aktiv. Could it be that the box is defekt ? Its like a power impulse. Sometime it is stronger and sometimes less.

Abstract of the longer and in-detail version of the report (that couldn't pass the Spam Filter and that will be gladly sent to all interested parties).

The fix for the E-MU drivers on Win. 10 proposed here was carefully done for several times on two computers. As first, the complete report gives a short description of the behavior of the cards prior the recent problems occurred. After the general update on one (older) computer two weeks ago and the installation of the new Win. 10 on the other (newer) computer, both resulted in the same Win. 10 version (1903), the cards stopped working, showing several serious malfunctions.

After running the fix given here by following is instructions to the letter, clear improvements in the behavior of the cards were noted. But the same fix ran differently on the two computers and the achieved improvements---to our full surprise---also turned out to be different. The worst thing is that both fixes ended in fiascoes, because the desired sound from either ASIO or Windows sources is not audible on the analog output device (in our case the 1616m Micro Dock). On the older computer, it is because the PatchMix interface cannot not recognize (analog) outputs on the remote device (1616m Micro Dock), and on the newer computer, because there is no proper connection between the audio host program (in our case WaveLab) and the E-MU card and its PatcMix interface via ASIO or E-MU WDM drivers.

A detailed description of the procedure and diagnoses is available, but could not be posted here because of the severe Spam Filter. If the editor of this forum allows, this comprehensive report will be published here. Regardless of that, it will be gladly sent to all interested parties and to those who, hopefully, could help that this excellent sound cards survive in the environment of the more and more problematic Windows OS. R.

P.S. This is also a pledge to the editor of the forum to alleviate the Spam Filter which will, obviously, forbid any longer text with more technical details. R.L.
Last edited by RobLeXBreak on Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi there martin, thanks for your tremendous help ! Now i could run my EMU-1820m on my Windows 10 machine :) However your script seems to work but only Asio is missing, i tried the regedit entry changing to that ctasio64.dll but in 2 different DAWs there is no Asio-Device showing up. Anything that i missed here ?

i will repost this in the other thread...
Last edited by auron on Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hello all. I recently installed my Emu 1820m drivers on my new Windows 10 64 bit computer using the ClubHouseKey method. I've had Windows XP and then Windows 7 32 bit for years and have been using my Emu 1820m since around 2005 with no issues. His method worked perfectly! I just keep experiencing audio stopping. Patchmix Dsp doesn't automatically open when the computer starts up, I have to open it manually. When I open up Patchmix Dsp, I see the meters input fully yellow to the top of the meter. My computer also freezes everything which forces me to hold the power button in order to turn my computer off.
I tried changing the regedit to ASIO64, and that hasn't fixed the issue. I also get an error in red when I run the script in safe mode (pictures attached). I also see a pop up on my desktop every time I restart my computer that says "Installing software, please wait".
Does anyone know why I am experiencing audio stopping, computer freezing and the error in red when I run the script in safe mode? And am I supposed to see that "Installing software, please wait" every single time I start my computer? Thank you all in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RobLeXBreak wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:30 pm P.S. This is also a pledge to the editor of the forum to alleviate the Spam Filter which will, obviously, forbid any longer text with more technical details. R.L.
If I remember correctly... 5 posts and the filter is gone... just post some "NVM" posts and then try posting your tech details.

EDIT:
There is also another thread (started many years ago) and has quiet a lot of info on the 1903 win update. Worth a read...

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=371831&start=180

toonertik wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:24 pm
RobLeXBreak wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:30 pm P.S. This is also a pledge to the editor of the forum to alleviate the Spam Filter which will, obviously, forbid any longer text with more technical details. R.L.
If I remember correctly... 5 posts and the filter is gone... just post some "NVM" posts and then try posting your tech details.

EDIT:
There is also another thread (started many years ago) and has quiet a lot of info on the 1903 win update. Worth a read...

Hello. Thank you for the quick reply. My phone died and I wasn't able to charge it until now. I'm new to KVR, so I'm not sure what a NVM is. Also, did you mean that after 5 post on a thread, the discussion is closed?

toonertik wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:24 pm

EDIT:

Thank you for the link to the other thread, I appreciate that! I reposted my question there.

NVM

NVM2

NVM3

NVM4

NVM5

Dear Audio-Professional Colleagues and Fans of High Quality Audio,

MY FULL REPORT ON THE E-MU DRIVERS FIX (after the previous abstract)

I have been maintaining E-MU 1212m cards and one 1010 + 1616m in the audio laboratory of the university where I teach for more than ten years now, in total for about a dozen of the card pairs.
A brief history of the performance of our E-MU cards:
1. EVERYTHING was working fine on Win. XP and Win. 7. That is both ASIO and E-MU WDM playback and recording (except that the ASIO direct monitoring didn't work without latency as advertised, but that was not to be considered as a defect).

2. Everything continued to work fine on the early Win. 8.

3. Then, after one of the Win. 8 updates, the E-MU WDM recording stopped working. The playback was working, but recording not. However, with E-MU ASIO drivers, all host inputs in the PatchMix worked fine, including the Windows host source -- WAVE. So, when doing our audio exercises, we just forgot the E-MU WDM drivers and turned to the ASIO (though early WaveLab versions advocated WDM for stereo only recordings!?!).

4. On Win. 10 the situation was the same as described in point 3) for a long, long time, till 10 days ago! Meaning that everything was working fine, while in the same time I was reading about how people couldn't work on their E-MU cards for several years now! And I felt sorry for them.

5. 10-15 days ago, after some update of Windows (could be that on November 3, 2019.), everything changed. The diagnostics is as follows:
5.1 The PatchMix have not been finishing its auto run normally, but with a warning that there's not enough hardware to support the software configuration.
5.2 Since then, the blue E-MU icon was crossed with a red line, and in the PatchMix there was no control of the inputs. That is, once deleted, they couldn't be created again.
5.3 Most of the things in the PatcMix were not working, e.g. the Test-Tone Generator could not be installed in the channel strip slots. But the functions under "O" button could be changed, as well as the sampling frequency and the input/output levels (between -10dBV and +4dBu).

6. After some googling, I found the kvraudio.com forum and did everything as explained in this post. The situation improved, but the final outcome was, unluckily, a complete failure. Here are the details after performing the E-MU fix provided on two computers using:
-- EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA drivers (but are they good for the old version of the E-MU 1010 PCI, not PCI-e!?)
-- EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00 PatchMix application (later on, on the other thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=371831&start=180, I learnt that this was meant for PCI-e only?!?)
Computer A (an older one, from 2012)
=================================
Hardware: Intel Core i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHz / 3.30 GHz, RAM 8GB, Device ID: 7643CBC7-BF93-4FA7-91B0-C2BED2691035, System type: 64-bit OS, x64 based processor, No pen or touch input is available for this display.
Win. Specs. Edition: Windows 10 Pro, Version: 1903, Installed on Nov. 3 2019 (the last crucial upgrade), OS build 18362.476

As first, the script execution ended on my computer with two failed steps, the first one and the last one, written in PowerShell in red lettering (while the normal steps were written in yellow).

The cause of this was as follows:
For some, to me unknown reason, after running the BETA drivers my card was named “E-MU E-DSP” (which can be seen in Device Manager) and not with the expected, full name “E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM)”. The names could be checked in Device Manager, and could be altered in the Registry (however, in the registry of this comp, the card name appears in many places in both versions!) And this short name differs from the FriendlyName parameter in the script EMU_Driver_Fix.ps1

So I took two approaches:
-- The first one was to change all the names in the registry to be the longer version, I assume the default one, and left the script as it was. However, after this, the script still didn't pass, and showed the same two wrong steps!?!
-- The second was to leave the registry values as they are, that is, with the short and long card “friendly” names (after another installation of the BETA drivers), and to alter the names in the script in the two statements: -FriendlyName "E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM)" to the: -FriendlyName "E-MU E-DSP".

By this approach the script passed correctly, without the red text.

There are several improvements over the previous state, but the card is still not running correctly, even after I replaced the EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00 with the old one, EmuPMX_PCApp_L6_2_10_00, that previously worked correctly on the 1010 PCI card.

Perhaps the procedure should be repeated once more, by carefully cleaning the Registry of all these 2-version names after the uninstallation and prior installation of anything new, and that my last resort. But after repeating the procedure for dozens of times, in all kinds of combinations, it started to seem like a totally futile job.

Here’s the report of the behavior of the 1010 PCI with 1616m on my comp. A (the old one):

6.A.1 The PatchMix now starts without warning and with the normal E-MU icon (not crossed with a red line, as described in 5.1 and 5.2).
6.A.2 The PatchMix control of the host and other input channel strips is functional, and after being deleted they could be created again. The Test-Tone/Signal Gen. could be installed in the channel strip slots and its functions could be changed.
6. A.3 The output hardware routing (in the case of this testing to the E-MU 1616m Micro Dock) IS NOT controllable and the outputs show only on the outputs on the main (mother) board: PCI card SPDIF, PCI card ADAT 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8. Thus, the analog audio out on 1616m cannot be chosen and there’s no sound of the Test-Tone/Signal Generator.
6.A.4. The WAVE host input channel strip seems to receive the correct signal from the Windows sound-testing window, first on the left and then on the right channel — but only judging by the signal meters, since nothing is heard on output! The same is valid for the signal coming from Win. Media Player and Groove Music.
6.A.5. Turning to WaveLab as the versatile source of audio signals with the possibility of choosing E-MU WDM and ASIO drivers. E-MU WDM seems to play correctly and receive the sginal into the WAVE type channel strip — again judging by the signal meters only, since no sound is output. Recording via this drivers is still problematic (intermittent), as described in point 3. ASIO drivers seems to work OK regarding the connection between WaveLab and E-MU motherboard. Playback signal is visible on the Input channel strips configured to receive ASIO host output source. Also, recording is possible via Send or Send/Return (the SIN test signal was sent from the PatchMix to WaveLab and was recorded correctly).
6.A.6 The change of the ASIO to ASIO64 didn’t help. Anyway, in this case the ASIO connection existed, and also the used WaveLab ver. 6 is a 32-bit application.
6.A.7 Of course, all this is useless since no audio could be routed to the 1616m Micro Dock.

Computer B (a new one, from 2019, just 2 PCI slots, which are nowadays not easily found on the new motherboards)
==============================================================================================
Hardware: Intel Core i7-8700K CPU @3.70GHz / 3.70 GHz, RAM 32GB, Device ID: 077DDEE01-DCA7-42E2-AEC7-E5E925C996B0, System type: 64-bit OS, x64 based processor, No pen or touch input is available for this display.
Win. Specs. Edition: Windows 10 Pro Education, Version: 1903, Installed on Sept. 9, 2019 (clean installation), OS build 18362.476

The script execution ends with all steps written in yellow, showing the correct outcome. E.g. the last one, corresponding to the bad outcome described in 6.A reads as follows:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
VERBOSE: Performing the operation "Enable" on target "Win32_PnPEntity: E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM) (DeviceID =
"PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0008&SUBSYS_40041102&R...)".
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

6.B.1 The same as at 6.A.1.
6. B.2 The same as at 6.A.1.
6. A.3 The output hardware routing (in the case of this testing to the E-MU 1616m Micro Dock) is controllable and the outputs on the output device could be selected. The Test Tone/Signal produces the tone/signal on the Micro Dock output.
6. B.4 BUT the WAVE host input channel strip does not get the signal! E.g. when testing the sound from Windows, after choosing the E-MU soundcard as the destination (and not the onboard soundcard), and choosing: Sound/Sound Settings -- Sound Control Panel [Right Click]/Set as Default Device [Right Click]/Properties/Advanced/Test — only a kind of low frequency PULSE waveform is heard instead of the nice two testing tones, and that appears only on the left channel. This is an obvious defect. Also, neither Win. Media Player nor Win. Groove Music, would start playing sound files (PLAY button wouldn't even engage).
6. B.5 EVEN WORSE, ASIO connection could not be established either. I tested it from Steinberg Wavelab (6.1) to the PatchMix. Similarly to WAVE host source, the Wavelab wouldn't even start playing the sound file of wav format to the E-MU ASIO inputs. The program was fully stuck, again with its PLAY function not producing any effect, let alone the expected one. And in the same time, everything works fine when the Wavelab is configured to send digital audio via WDM drivers to the ONBOARD soundcard.
6.B.6 The change of the ASIO to ASIO64 didn’t help. Probably it shouldn’t be used in the first place, because the used WaveLab ver. 6 is a 32-bit application.
6. B.7 Also, no recording could be made in Wavelab through the ASIO connections.

7. Comparison of the fix outcomes on computers A and B. This is really hard to comment. The OSes seem to be the same, except that the newer, computer B, has the education version (but still PRO!?!). But in spite of that the results are, although both defective, quite different. Overall, comp. A had the card showed better (normal) connection to the Win. and WaveLab. On the other hand, it didn’t show the outputs on the 1616m Micro Dock. There’s still some chance that this could be fixed by making the names uniform. On the other hand, the comp B has the registry with only the longer version of the FriendlyName, shows the 1616m analog outputs, but the ASIO sources are stuck, and the WAVE sources are problematic. Quite confusing and frustrating, isn’t it?!

8. In the meantime, while doing the testing, one new Windows update fully destroyed the effect of this fix, returning the situation to the one described in the point 5. It was not the problem to repeat the steps of the fix and run the script again, but the "improvement" went only as far as described in point 6. That is, the final result is a slight improvement of the behavior of the PatcMix, but NOTHING works properly and there’s no desired sound coming “through” the card (as explained in 6.2, only the test-tone/signal is coming out as it should, but it was generated in the E-MU card).

Questions:
I. Has anybody experienced the similar problems?
II. Have you guys, who said that your E-MU cards are now working properly, updated Win. 10 recently, up to the version mentioned in point 5 above?
III. Did you experience that the problem repeats after new Win. 10 updates?
IV. Have you checked both types of host sources for the PatchMix input channel strips: 1) ASIO Output Source and 2) Windows Sources (designated as WAVE), and do they work properly?

Hopes:
V. That the above description could and would help the creators of this fix to improve it.

Thanks in advance for reading this and best regards!

R.L.

Just wanted to send a big thank you. You have kept my DAW alive and even improved it. I used to have to switch soft patch setting to switch between PC sound and DAW sound. Now they work at the same time. Your instructions enabled me to get my 0404 PCI interface working again. Many thanks!

Another note of thanks. This worked like a charm w/ the Windows 10 1909 update.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”