Available now: Tone2 Icarus2.5 - Wavetable Workstation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Icarus3

stop the bullshit, two different tangents end here
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I have some questions regarding Icarus 1.6 and v2:

- Can I mute/solo single OSCs somewhere? What about v2? I guess, if you see all OSCs at once, this won't be an issue anymore anyway...

- Will there be a curtis HP / BP filter in V2? I like this filter model, really nicely done

- Will there be undo in the editor in v2? Undo does not seem to work for batch processing and one step back only or so?

- Let's say I have a very sinoid waveform, and now want to add some even harmonics? Which would be the most easy and resource saving way and which is the most exciting way here? I guess "harmonic key morph"?

- Same question for odd harmonics.

- 1.6 does not resolve symbolic links and also doesn't support dir recursion. Will this change for v2? This is not a bummer of course. I simply now copied the other synths' wavetables into the icarus dir. But for sake of organisation, keeping only one copy of a file directory per plugin around, it would help.

- Does the input volume have an effect on the sound of the filters (excluding the distortion now)?

- The limiter sounds great, but like almost all limiters, it has a hard time to limit sinoid rich pulsing sounds without distortion. Any trick to lower the distortion / the peaks then?

- If I have a nice sound, but it sounds too clean, I would like to add some smudge to it. Usually you can do that using another OSC using noise or so, but I am looking for more sophisticated ways. For example I added slightly white noise to the filter cutoff using the matrix, and it sounds good, only that smudge alone now would require a slight highpass. Can I highpass the mod matrix noise somehow? Any other way to add noise? I read v2 will have a bandlimited noise, so then you also will be able to control the noise frequency?

- Though you can set the OSC phase to free, the unison/hypersaw voices seem to always start in sync. Is there a way to make these voices sound more randomly synced?

- Am am still not fully understand the filter routing. If I have filter 1 for osc 1 enabled, disabled for osc2, and then filter 2 disabled for osc1 and enabled for osc2 (parallel mode deactivated in both), will it be then like parallel filters again?

- Would be neat if Icarus was remembering the last save path in the file popup and the last filename.

- Would be nice, if there was also a "move OSC X->Y" option, which also then would fix all the modulations, updating the target OSC.

- What does the morph parameter in cross-OSC-AM mode do?

- Is there another way than using an additional OSC to add a single overtone harmonic to a sound?

Thanks for help and tips!

I'm really happy to hear that Icarus 2 will be out soon and I'm sorry to hear that Markus would no longer be developing synths. He is a genius and one of the best developers out there. I wish him continued success and good health.

Deleted
Last edited by Stefken on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oh man...

Good morning, here another question:

If I use the spectral editing mode in the editor, is there a way to disable that auto-compensation, so it might actually start to clip?

Btw. is this the wrong thread to ask usage questions about Icarus?

Thanks.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:49 am Btw. is this the wrong thread to ask usage questions about Icarus?
Yes. Are you stupid or what? The dev is not going to write a dissertation for you because this is not 'economical', to use his own word. He has serious trouble with the update paths, he has health issues, things went downhill in this thread... - what do you expect of him?

As for other users - some of your questions are so specific it's unbelievable. Some utter bullshit too. Can you mute an oscillator? Can you highpass mod matrix noise? Come on man, get real, please!

Huh, wow so unfriendly... I was asking into this round of experienced Icarus users, not to Markus mainly. I didn't expect anything from anybody. I just was asking to people who may are interested in using Icarus. Also Markus wrote he would like to improve Icarus over time still, so I just added some ideas, too.

I really have no idea what you problem is. Why it is not legit to ask if there could be a way to have bandlimited noise and if this is exactly the feature Markus was announcing (I didn't see v2 so far)?

P.S. Sorry, if anybody felt forced or offended by me. I did not mean anything like that.

If I was a dev I would sure stay away from KVR. So many assholes on here.

I been with Tone2 from the start and only have had the best interactions with the company.

Wish you the absolute best.

Markus Krause wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:04 am I have noted your feedback and did explain the situation for several times now. I did not agree on the sale from best Service for Icarus. All i can do is damage control now. I am aware that it is impossible to do it right for everyone

Please do also note that Icarus2 will be the final synth that i will release. After this one there will be onl free updates and soundsets.

I got serious health problems and need to take medication. I need more time to relax and need more time for my family. That's why i can not longer deal with frequently toxic communities like on kvr.

Thank you for your understanding
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Well, not everybody behaves toxic in here, this is a inappropriate generalization. In the end, it is all about HOW to communicate, this is what a bunch of people here do not seem to understand. Try to formulate in a friendly, respectful manner, then you can communicate about almost any topic. Or at least, there shouldn't be a reason why not. But I guess that is a generation thing, too, at least that is my impression, if I look at Facebook. Manners became rude in general. People tend to think in a very black/white kind of way (including me sometimes). The life actually is lot of grey tones.

Hello Hanz,

there are free demo versions available on our website:
https://www.tone2.com/download.html

You can find the manuals here:
https://www.tone2.com/manual.html

Icarus2 manual:
https://www.tone2.com/handbook/Tone2_Icarus2.pdf

Our support forum can be found here:
https://www.tone2.org/forum/

- Can I mute/solo single OSCs somewhere? What about v2? I guess, if you see all OSCs at once, this won't be an issue anymore anyway...
Yes. You need to click on the ON button on top.
- Will there be a curtis HP / BP filter in V2? I like this filter model, really nicely done
Yes. It's the Analog LP 12db, Analog BP 12dB, Analog HP 12dB
- Will there be undo in the editor in v2? Undo does not seem to work for batch processing and one step back only or so?
There is an Undo function available for the Wavetables. A general undo for all parameters does not work for performance reasons. Icarus2 is very complex and got over 2000 parameters + wavetables +samples . The RAM and CPU use would be too high.
- Let's say I have a very sinoid waveform, and now want to add some even harmonics? Which would be the most easy and resource saving way and which is the most exciting way here? I guess "harmonic key morph"?
Open the wavetable editor. Click on SPectrum. Draw some harmonics. Then click on spectrum->square harmonics to filter the harmonics. Only even ones will remain.
or
Select PW as morphmode and set Morph to 0.
- 1.6 does not resolve symbolic links and also doesn't support dir recursion. Will this change for v2? This is not a bummer of course. I simply now copied the other synths' wavetables into the icarus dir. But for sake of organisation, keeping only one copy of a file directory per plugin around, it would help.
Subdirectories for the wavetables are supported.
I have not tested if symlinks work.
- Does the input volume have an effect on the sound of the filters (excluding the distortion now)?
Yes for the analog types. No for the digital types - digital filters are LTI systems.
- The limiter sounds great, but like almost all limiters, it has a hard time to limit sinoid rich pulsing sounds without distortion. Any trick to lower the distortion / the peaks then?
It is technically impossible to build a limiter that has no lookahead time (delay) and no distortion at the same time. That's why i try to avoid them in general.
- If I have a nice sound, but it sounds too clean, I would like to add some smudge to it. Usually you can do that using another OSC using noise or so, but I am looking for more sophisticated ways. For example I added slightly white noise to the filter cutoff using the matrix, and it sounds good, only that smudge alone now would require a slight highpass. Can I highpass the mod matrix noise somehow? Any other way to add noise? I read v2 will have a bandlimited noise, so then you also will be able to control the noise frequency?
There is a special morphmode Lofi->Spirit available for this purpose.
The fractal filters also give such a result.
- Though you can set the OSC phase to free, the unison/hypersaw voices seem to always start in sync. Is there a way to make these voices sound more randomly synced?
You can switch off the sync by turning the phase knob to 0.
- Am am still not fully understand the filter routing. If I have filter 1 for osc 1 enabled, disabled for osc2, and then filter 2 disabled for osc1 and enabled for osc2 (parallel mode deactivated in both), will it be then like parallel filters again?
If you want a parallel routing you must enable the 'parallel' button.
- Would be nice, if there was also a "move OSC X->Y" option, which also then would fix all the modulations, updating the target OSC.
You can copy OSCs with Tool->copy. It is not properly possible to include the matrix stuff, because the synth can't know the intention of the sound-designer.
- What does the morph parameter in cross-OSC-AM mode do?
I blends the harmonic content.
- Is there another way than using an additional OSC to add a single overtone harmonic to a sound?
Open the wavetable editor. Click on Spectrum. Then draw your harmonic.
- If I use the spectral editing mode in the editor, is there a way to disable that auto-compensation, so it might actually start to clip?
The DC component is always removed automatically, because it can destroy the mix or in the worst case even subwoofers.

Best Regards,
Markus

Thanks a lot for your time and these pro tips! The v2 manual impresses me a lot. Also reads nicely imo.

Markus Krause wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:52 am Hello Hanz,

there are free demo versions available on our website:
https://www.tone2.com/download.html

You can find the manuals here:
https://www.tone2.com/manual.html

Icarus2 manual:
https://www.tone2.com/handbook/Tone2_Icarus2.pdf

Our support forum can be found here:
https://www.tone2.org/forum/

Best Regards,
Markus
--------------------------------
not sure this helps because i can't know what you're looking for, anyhow, just made a nice (imo :hihi: ) rain like sound using this method e.g.

select one of the Hipass Morphs on OSC
in mattrix:
white noise -> cutoff
Step LFO -> X [value] _ [Icarus 2 is going to have MSEG's but in 1.6 you can use Step LfO]
[One of the X Modulators] -> OSC Morph

Thanks!

perfumer wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:35 am
Hanz Meyzer wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:49 am Btw. is this the wrong thread to ask usage questions about Icarus?
Yes. Are you stupid or what? The dev is not going to write a dissertation for you because this is not 'economical', to use his own word. He has serious trouble with the update paths, he has health issues, things went downhill in this thread... - what do you expect of him?

As for other users - some of your questions are so specific it's unbelievable. Some utter bullshit too. Can you mute an oscillator? Can you highpass mod matrix noise? Come on man, get real, please!
1. No need for personal attacks especially just a few posts after my request for it to stop.

2. You have absolutely no right to speak for a developer

3. You were wrong, obviously Markus cares a lot about his customers and he seemed to have no problems answering the questions.

Here's the deal, you're done in this thread...even a response to this is gone, any post you make is gone even if it helps someone...stay out of this thread.

Anyone else who fails to respect my request will see their posts gone too. You see every time this comes up someones says things along the line of typical KvR WE need to change that because as noted it's not the majority of members.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Instruments”