I was wrong about XLN XO...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When XLN XO was released I was infuriated because I thought that XLN had blatantly ripped off Algonaut's Atlas. I made some vitriolic comments towards XO (I'm a huge fan of Algonaut and Atlas) and XLN pointed out to me that Google had created a 'drum cloud' experiment years earlier. Still, I decided to avoid all XLN products and stick with my beloved Atlas.

Months on, this Black Friday weekend, I saw that XO was recieving much attention so I decided to get over my grudge and try it out. I was completely wrong, XO is not a copy of Atlas at all. It is much more advanced but fills a different role - Atlas is a quick and dirty AI assisted drum machine and XO is a kind of AI drum workstation with a sequencer. I had the embarrasing revelation that XLN actually makes great products and ended Black Friday weekend with Addictive Drums 2 + 3 expansion packs, RC-20, DS-10 and XO!

Anyway, the point of this thread is to say that if you own Atlas, don't be afraid to try XO as well as it is fundementally different. I also wish to apologise to XLN for acting like a bigoted troll when XO was released :ud:
Last edited by Kongru on Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

As a kind of penitence you should buy now SONONYM as the third for your party!

Calenberger wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:16 am As a kind of penitence you should buy now SONONYM as the third for your party!
I'll never try Sononym as they blatantly ripped off XLN XO :tantrum:

:hihi:

Kongru wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:19 am
Calenberger wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:16 am As a kind of penitence you should buy now SONONYM as the third for your party!
I'll never try Sononym as they blatantly ripped off XLN XO :tantrum:

:hihi:
Looking forward to your apology in a couple of months... :lol:

I got atlas but didnt use it much. What offers xo more than atlas?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

And it's still half price atm. Demoed it a while ago, but didn't buy back then. Might do it now.
It's so much better than all that Loopcloud and Adsr "we wanna sell you our samples" organizers based on text-search.
More BPM please

Caine123 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:35 pm I got atlas but didnt use it much. What offers xo more than atlas?
The sequencer is a standout difference, although Atlas is planning to add one in the future so lets see what that's like. The sequencer is pretty clever, it has these beat presets that you can apply per sample - so you can select 4 on the floor or 2 step in a single click, it's a good little time saver. You can also randomise the beat seperately to the samples which can generate some ideas.

You can combine samples in XO. Also the shaping tools for each sample is much more in-depth, with the ability to apply effects and sends within XO.

You can cycle through the 8 next most similar samples within the cloud, in Atlas you just have to click around the samples to find them.

One of my favourite features so far is the ability to preview the presets with your own samples, and then change the samples while previewing.

The main thing that's missing for me at the moment is the ability to create smaller folders of samples, like the maps in Atlas.

XO lets you build a kit while auditioning it in context. So you can tell if the kit pieces work with each other and with an existing track, if it exists. It also does not penalize you for experimenting. You can try out different samples in the kit and always revert to what you started with. You can change the sequence and revert back to the original. You can search the cluster map and if you liked what you heard about 6 samples ago, you can navigate the history to go find it.

The sequencer is really easy to work with. It's got 2 patterns you can chain a couple different ways, enough to audition with. Then you can drag the MIDI out. And start another set of patterns.

You can export the kit many ways. Raw, processed, individual hits, or rendered hit track, or mixed.

Also highly recommend Sononym for a general purpose sample search. The similarity search is unbeatable. Many categories and ways to refine and narrow the search down.

If you want something lightning-fast to sort through existing samples for auditioning and auditing/cleaning, I also recommend Resonic.

Between those three my sample organizing needs are fully met.

Kongru wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:51 pm The main thing that's missing for me at the moment is the ability to create smaller folders of samples, like the maps in Atlas.
If there is an underlying filesystem folder hierarchy, you can search with the folder name up top and it will limit the results to that. Hit the search icon on the top right and you can select specific top-level folders and refine it by hit type and more.

But in terms of your own superset of samples, you are right, it does not have that feature. Best it has is a favorites tag.

so i cannot limit the search? like e.g.
Folder - Drum and bass
Folder - Trap
etc.?
i dont want all from my kits found, a trap snare doesnt fit to my ambient stuff...
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I really wish there was a software - like XO or Atlas - that can also index the samples in proprietary sample packs, like from Reason, Live, Cubase, Studio One. Even if just when running as a VST in this DAW.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Caine123 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:36 pm so i cannot limit the search? like e.g.
Folder - Drum and bass
Folder - Trap
etc.?
i dont want all from my kits found, a trap snare doesnt fit to my ambient stuff...
Open the "Live filter" section, then you can select and de-select as many folders as you like from the list.
Synth Presets and Music
https://linktr.ee/BoBSwanS

bob swans wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:48 pm
Caine123 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:36 pm so i cannot limit the search? like e.g.
Folder - Drum and bass
Folder - Trap
etc.?
Open the "Live filter" section, then you can select and de-select as many folders as you like from the list.
thx im just demoing it, yeah this works, still a bummer you cannot save kits...

bob swans wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:48 pm
Folder - Drum and bass
Folder - Trap
etc.?
Oh awesome, that's good enough for me :D

Return to “Instruments”