One Synth Challenge #130: Phase Plant by Kilohearts (exponent1 Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all! I'm Stu... plugin junkie, the 'guy' behind Audio Plugin Guy, and long-time Kilohearts superfan, since way before Phase Plant! :love:

The Kilohearts team consists of just three Swedish guys who have their hands pretty full between developing updates/products and sorting out support stuff so I'm taking the pressure off a bit by officially helping them out with various online endeavors, including this OSC!

We're all really excited to see what you come up with. I'll be checking in to try and help with any questions anyone has but you can also email support@kilohearts.com with anything really technical.

I'm hoping to get one of the guys to set up special month-long licenses for all entrants sometime today or tomorrow but, in the meantime, if anyone needs a 10-day trial renewed please email me to ask on stu@kilohearts.com and I'll get it sorted.

I hope everyone is enjoying digging into Phase Plant and all the effects... it's quite a playground, isn't it! :)

PS. The guys are in Sweden and I'm in Hungary so we're all in the CET timezone.

Stu, you are everywhere. Omnipresent.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Kongru wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:42 am Stu, you are everywhere. Omnipresent.
I put myself about a bit, it's true... (Where else have you seen me!?)

StuSmith wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:46 am
The Weapons of Audio Production FB page, Audio Plugins, Sales and Freebies page, Twitter, Youtube, reviews on Plugin Boutique, Humble Bundle, and now here. Maybe not omnipresent but you're incredibly busy! :clap:
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Kongru wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:54 am
StuSmith wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:46 am
The Weapons of Audio Production FB page, Audio Plugins, Sales and Freebies page, Twitter, Youtube, reviews on Plugin Boutique, Humble Bundle, and now here. Maybe not omnipresent but you're incredibly busy! :clap:
Ah yeah... that's me!

:hyper:

Behold! Omnipresent Stu!
quick, _ake what you want in life

574X wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:41 pm Behold! Omnipresent Stu!
Lol... not omniscient though as I don't know who anyone from the other platforms is here on KVR!

Taron wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:27 pm ...but currently it couldn't get the factory presets, so it's blank, of course. :( ...but I'll look into it, see if I can make some.
I had the same problem with the factory presets not being installed and neither the factory samples. :x :help: The installer I used was the one that Kilohearts sent me by e-mail. The solution was to open the installer, click on uninstall and then click on install again. This time I found the factory presets installed but not the samples. I went back to uninstall it a second time and then install again and now it did install everything including the samples. :D

I wanted to install the samples also because the curiosity of being able to hear all the factory presets (before installing the samples some presets gave error messages for not being able to locate the necessary samples), but we all know that the samples are not allowed by OSC's rules as Brian and Richard reminded us before. :borg:

I hope this helps. :tu:

Is automating panning with a native DAW plugin allowed? (The sound bouncing from left to right.)

Inguz wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:50 pm Is automating panning with a native DAW plugin allowed? (The sound bouncing from left to right.)
Automating panning for mixing is fine (at least I've seen people doing it quite often and nobody called them out).
People might raise an eyebrow if you're trying to do it at audiorate though :lol:
But I expect panning the sound can be done from within Phase Plant.

The 'spirit of OSC' is that external plugins are used for mixing/mastering and not sound design - the sound design should be done in the synth.

Ranoka wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:35 pm
Inguz wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:50 pm Is automating panning with a native DAW plugin allowed? (The sound bouncing from left to right.)
Automating panning for mixing is fine (at least I've seen people doing it quite often and nobody called them out).
People might raise an eyebrow if you're trying to do it at audiorate though :lol:
But I expect panning the sound can be done from within Phase Plant.

The 'spirit of OSC' is that external plugins are used for mixing/mastering and not sound design - the sound design should be done in the synth.
Ah yes, that makes sense. I'd categorize this effect as mixing because it's not altering anything in the sound itself. The specific panning I have made can't be done within the synth. Never say never, but I can't do it as a beginner producer.

Such a shame though that it's a paid synth for this month, it doesn't encourage me to spend too much time creating sounds that will be rendered unusable after 10 days. It's a good synth on level with Serum in sound, ease of use, and utility, like how creating drum machine sounds wasn't too difficult in just a single instance of the synth even though I can't get them to sound all that impactful.

I wish everyone luck with this month's OSC!

Hello!

All participants who don't already own or subscribe to the Kilohearts collection: Please drop an email to stu@kilohearts.com with your KVR username and an email address for your Kilohearts account and I'll set up a month's free subscription. (Mention OSC in the subject so I know what it's about!).

The Kilohearts guys have set this up separate from the regular subscription system so you won't have to submit any payment details or get renewal reminders when the month is up. :)

FYI new soundcloud policy prevents free users to take part in one synth challenges btw. Gotta find another platform or create alternate accounts.

Anything you upload before December 9th, 2019 when the new upload limit goes into effect will remain on your account, will not be hidden, and will continue to be available to you and all listeners.

On December 9th, if you have more than 3 hours of audio or 15 tracks on your account, uploading will become temporarily disabled. To continue uploading, you will need to make space for new uploads by either deleting older tracks to get under the free limit or unlocking unlimited uploads by upgrading to a Pro Unlimited plan.

Daru925 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:09 pm FYI new soundcloud policy prevents free users to take part in one synth challenges btw. Gotta find another platform or create alternate accounts.

Anything you upload before December 9th, 2019 when the new upload limit goes into effect will remain on your account, will not be hidden, and will continue to be available to you and all listeners.

On December 9th, if you have more than 3 hours of audio or 15 tracks on your account, uploading will become temporarily disabled. To continue uploading, you will need to make space for new uploads by either deleting older tracks to get under the free limit or unlocking unlimited uploads by upgrading to a Pro Unlimited plan.
Oh RIP SoundCloud, this was the final straw. I'm just going to keep it around for OSC until it moves elsewhere and delete the rest of my tracks from there.

… re Soundcloud … but 180 minutes is 36 five minute tracks, so even if you keep them, you can still do 36 or more OSC's in a row! Or am I missing something?

dB

Return to “Instruments”