Ableton is everywhere...

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
jonljacobi
KVRian
1254 posts since 16 Jan, 2013 from USA

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:04 am

Back on topic, I use Live. Not perfect, but quicker and easier for my purposes than anything of comparable power.

pottering
KVRian
771 posts since 14 Dec, 2014

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:31 am

dupont wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:57 am
pottering wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:32 am

Extremely weak argument.

Mere insults to people's music.
indeed, your reply is helpful and strong.
Yup, it is.

Because you set the bar extremely low.

pottering
KVRian
771 posts since 14 Dec, 2014

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:32 am

dupont wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:02 am
oneway wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:39 am


As many people have stated, that's a big reason why "Ableton is everywhere". If you don't get it, fine, I'm used to more traditional workflows and mixers so I never clicked with it. I just think it's in poor taste to casually say that people doing more routing in their mixer are coming up with worse musical results. The two have nearly nothing to do with each other.
In my opinion it's also due to a clever marketing strategy. How many tutorials done by pretty sexy girls, i would say 70 %.
How many artists payed to say they use Ableton ?
I know how it works because I have been contacted by a daw compagny to say I use there product.

I also agree, Ableton is currently not my favorite DAW but that it can be for other musicians.
I want to understand why they find it so special.
For me this is frustrating DAW.
This is libel.

paradiddle
KVRian
1487 posts since 15 Aug, 2001 from montreal, canada

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:51 pm

I guess to each his own. I find the live's interface simple to use. I just load it, start jamming and then I'll press capture and it's there. It's pretty easy to get something going.

If i wanna do sound design. i load a synth, bunch of effects and just record to another track and then take what I need and put it in a sampler. Just a few clicks to do that.

I find that I do more with very little as opposed to having a huge amount of stuff on screen and just stare at it.
Stuck in Aperture Laboratories for a 2nd time!

reggie1979
KVRAF
1879 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:55 pm

Again, it's odd. I used to use live as my Riker, then for some reason, it fell out of favor. Now, when I tried "lite" it was functionally correct but not what I wanted.

Go figure, to each their own...........

paradiddle
KVRian
1487 posts since 15 Aug, 2001 from montreal, canada

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:06 pm

yes something is odd.
Stuck in Aperture Laboratories for a 2nd time!

reggie1979
KVRAF
1879 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:23 pm

What would Zappa have said????????????

samsam
KVRAF
3007 posts since 9 Dec, 2008

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:27 pm

eyeknow!

paradiddle
KVRian
1487 posts since 15 Aug, 2001 from montreal, canada

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:21 am

ableton isn't dead and it doesn't smell funny.
Stuck in Aperture Laboratories for a 2nd time!

HitEmTrue
KVRist
52 posts since 25 Nov, 2015

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:02 pm

dupont wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:23 am
You can do crazy think on Ableton that are technically impressive but who care if the musical result is poor.
I saw a video from an Ableton certified trainier who explained how to cut an audio loop, spread this loop in several tracks, apply different audio effects and audio gate for each track.
What a mess, who would use that in his song ?
I didn’t see the video you are talking about...but wasn’t he just demonstrating HOW to do certain things? Those techniques are used all the time, on songs heard on a radio near you. It’s up to the producer to put the technique into musical context.

X86
KVRist
52 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:08 pm

tooneba wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:34 pm
The easiest and most idiot-proof DAW. It is born to be popular.
This, and it's probably the sexiest DAW as well.

No surprise it's the daddy of DAWs.

dupont
KVRian
817 posts since 23 Jun, 2007

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:05 am

HitEmTrue wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:02 pm
dupont wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:23 am
You can do crazy think on Ableton that are technically impressive but who care if the musical result is poor.
I saw a video from an Ableton certified trainier who explained how to cut an audio loop, spread this loop in several tracks, apply different audio effects and audio gate for each track.
What a mess, who would use that in his song ?
I didn’t see the video you are talking about...but wasn’t he just demonstrating HOW to do certain things? Those techniques are used all the time, on songs heard on a radio near you. It’s up to the producer to put the technique into musical context.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCoWqJtt3fg

chk071
KVRAF
22446 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:08 am

X86 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:08 pm
tooneba wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:34 pm
The easiest and most idiot-proof DAW. It is born to be popular.
This, and it's probably the sexiest DAW as well.

No surprise it's the daddy of DAWs.
Ew... if that's your definition of "sexy". ;)

dupont
KVRian
817 posts since 23 Jun, 2007

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:17 am

chk071 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:08 am
X86 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:08 pm
tooneba wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:34 pm
The easiest and most idiot-proof DAW. It is born to be popular.
This, and it's probably the sexiest DAW as well.

No surprise it's the daddy of DAWs.
Ew... if that's your definition of "sexy". ;)
perhaps because 70 % of live video tutorials ar done by pretty women ?

User avatar
Enrize
KVRist
370 posts since 18 Jan, 2017

Re: Ableton is everywhere...

Post Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:05 am

Wait...Ableton Live? Is that a DAW with a broken PDC?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”