One Synth Challenge #130: Phase Plant by Kilohearts (exponent1 Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Taron wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:36 am The "re-install" totally worked! Didn't make no sense, but it worked and I did get to TRY all the other little goodies, too, without which the presets apparently wouldn't have worked anyway. That slicer thing is quite fascinating, but trial won't allow editing, which is a shame. Anyway, loads of magic!
Heya! I'm not totally sure what some of this means... :)

But, just for clarity. You should install everything if you want to use all the FX inside or outside of Phase Plant.

Presets will load and be fully functional without the FX installed but you won't be able to tweak the FX you don't have.

Not sure what the 'slicer' thing is. Trance Gate maybe? Again, with the trial (or free month the guys have set up) everything should be available and fully functional.

574X wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:46 am Wow, how embarrassing… and look at this already.

lol

I mean... the quote still fits the product. :tu:

Stu, I've meant the "Slice EQ", which is really an interesting feature! Check out "Bottle Slice" for that!
As for my installing efforts in the beginning, I only had installed the free plugins (after two times of the installer not even starting up) and then tried installing Phase Plant, which took for ever to even get to the plugin itself and then failed at downloading presets. But as soon as I had the plugin running, I fell in love with it and today all of the rest came together with re-installing the presets... there you have the whole story. All good now! ;)

So, funny things happen, when I try to do pianos... like this one here, which turned out to become a Baritone Sax, hahaha, but a really fascinating one! The clarity of this synth is outstanding, really. :hyper:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Taron wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:44 pm Stu, I've meant the "Slice EQ", which is really an interesting feature! Check out "Bottle Slice" for that!
As for my installing efforts in the beginning, I only had installed the free plugins (after two times of the installer not even starting up) and then tried installing Phase Plant, which took for ever to even get to the plugin itself and then failed at downloading presets. But as soon as I had the plugin running, I fell in love with it and today all of the rest came together with re-installing the presets... there you have the whole story. All good now! ;)
Aaaah... glad it's all sorted then. :hihi:

Medniex wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:21 am I really like most of the factory presets. Got few ideas really fast, but I have to be careful - few of my favorite factory presets involves sample module which is not allowed in this challenge :D
Not allowed in this challenge? Someone clarify this point. If I understand the preface to the current OSC correctly, any modules installed inside the synthesizer can be used. Or not?

Of course, except samples, this is understandable.

Pretty impressed just by browsing around. You don't get a good sense of just how polished this synth is by looking at yt vids, even the good ones.

edit: A lot of presets get you pretty far into a track!

Ok, this is totally raw, but I'm really enjoying that tape stop thing :D

[DELETED]
Last edited by Medniex on Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YT | SC | FB | IG | earror :ud: KO :ud:

re presets … lots of nice sounds there … trouble is the ones with the sampler are great. The piano in the lower register is lovely, but is a no go sadly! Such a shame we can't use/abuse the sampler with the supplied waveforms???

dB

You know what I find odd... this synth is a dream-come-true for programming minimalists, by which I mean someone like me, who likes to use the fewest amount of components to create something interesting or even exciting (to me), and this synth can do UNBELIEVABLE things with the fewest components, creating enormous depth, width and clarity and as much grit and dirt as one might desire at the same time.
Some of the presets (the few I've checked) are so damn heavy, I can't play a chord without my computer taking a dive. That "piano" you speak of is one of those. Can't play more than 4 notes at once. It's a nice sound in a small, low range, but dayum...
At the same time I've just made a sound with two oscillators, two filters and a distortion unit and this thing is unreal... like heaven in a weird way, but heaven no less.
So, yeah, my tip I would give folks is NOT to overdo it! Do it right and with care and you can make this thing bring any house down.

doctorbob wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:24 pm re presets … lots of nice sounds there … trouble is the ones with the sampler are great. The piano in the lower register is lovely, but is a no go sadly! Such a shame we can't use/abuse the sampler with the supplied waveforms???

dB
I had similar thoughts since we used factory samples in Thorn round, but it was in different architecture (mostly because of how noise generation was achieved) and in this case the library with samples are way more bigger.
Taron wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:04 am At the same time I've just made a sound with two oscillators, two filters and a distortion unit and this thing is unreal... like heaven in a weird way, but heaven no less.
And this is also true! :D Routing options are so accessible and easy to understand in this layout. My favorite way on how to illustrate the relationship between parameters so far. Also I found that random modulation module can be really handy in many ways :hyper:
YT | SC | FB | IG | earror :ud: KO :ud:

Yup @Taron - playing a melody line with the piano preset in the lower registers is very nice, lots of nice overtones etc … goes off even around middle C! The higher registers are pretty ropey though, which is a shame given how nice the low registers sound. But, this is all moot, coz we can't use it anyway. But, yes, careful programming can reveal wonderful sound possibilities. But, we STILL have to compose and not spend all our time wondering at the marvel!

dB

Bug: Windows 7/64 bit using it in MuLab (www.mutools.com), any popup window, like editing wavetables, are messed up. They immediately produce a ghost window at top left corner of the desktop before manifesting where they probably should've gone, but only updating the "active component"- waveform display in the wavetable case. All other controls of that window never get drawn!
This seems to be a theme right from the start, because even the installer pops up a command prompt console at 0,0 and leaves its ghost there. This is all 64 bit windows 7 pro, so...might not happen in 10 or elsewhere, but here it's actually a real problem, because I can't do any editing that has to happen in a popup.

Taron wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:40 pm Bug: Windows 7/64 bit using it in MuLab (www.mutools.com), any popup window, like editing wavetables, are messed up. They immediately produce a ghost window at top left corner of the desktop before manifesting where they probably should've gone, but only updating the "active component"- waveform display in the wavetable case. All other controls of that window never get drawn!
This seems to be a theme right from the start, because even the installer pops up a command prompt console at 0,0 and leaves its ghost there. This is all 64 bit windows 7 pro, so...might not happen in 10 or elsewhere, but here it's actually a real problem, because I can't do any editing that has to happen in a popup.
Hi Taron,

This is one for support@kilohearts.com or the "bug" thread in the Discord channel if you're in there?

Return to “Instruments”