ReFx Nexus 3 (N3) Finally here!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nexus

sacer wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:32 pm your Nexus Reloaded Soundset also doesn't work anymore, I am realy f**ked up about reFX.
My komplete Kontrol templates also don't work. Paid 100€ for this update and everything gets worse.
Yeah - that would mean there is no backward compatibility. I edited and saved the presets the way everybody does. But I would be surprised if this is not a bug.

Anyone heard any official word from reFX?

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:44 am
sacer wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:32 pm your Nexus Reloaded Soundset also doesn't work anymore, I am realy f**ked up about reFX.
My komplete Kontrol templates also don't work. Paid 100€ for this update and everything gets worse.
Yeah - that would mean there is no backward compatibility. I edited and saved the presets the way everybody does. But I would be surprised if this is not a bug.

Anyone heard any official word from reFX?

/C
Yes, when I asked about 3rd party presets sounding like the init sound, they said "We do not endorse or support these repackaged versions of our sounds." :smack:

They will work if you re-save each individual preset in nexus 2 though. There are some I have done this with and then they work just fine in Nexus 3 - but yes, I'd imagine it is a compatibility issue - maybe they were originally made on Nexus 1 or something, and N3 doesn't support the fxp until it's saved again in N2. :phew:

commodore wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:56 am Yes, when I asked about 3rd party presets sounding like the init sound, they said "We do not endorse or support these repackaged versions of our sounds." :smack:
Yeah, that sounds like a polite way of saying fck-off :hihi:
You don't need to endorse or support anything. Just ensure backward compatibility.
Anyway. That's the reason why I stopped making anything for Nexus.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Reefius wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:14 pm I still had a backup of the Nexus 2 DLL, so I loaded it up in Komplete Kontrol and played the Axel F preset. After that I switched back to Nexus 3 to play the new 'Crazy Alex' preset.
I made a video of it, with Nexus 2 playing in the first part and Nexus 3 in the second part. I just held one note (F) on my keyboard in both Nexus 2 and Nexus 3. It's quite obvious the new version is 'simplified' to avoid copyright issues:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PMndUr3wi0
I wonder why companies do it the sneaky way instead of informin the customers. U know why. They dont care gor some forums nerdd cause the majority of PR gets more supporters!
We shouldnt stop forgetting and try to spread the word, make news etc cause such moves without telling before are clearly f**ked up and spitting in customers faces. I hate when ppl got no respect. It is something else to be humble and syyung hey we had licensing issues and had to do this instead of silently f**king around.

Posting only in some forum is a start!

And again, legal customers get f**ked instead of rewarded.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Vengeance and licensing issues huh, who knew?

yes they work if you open and save again, with nexus2.
I have the same issue if I open old Ableton sets some years ago. There is the same problen, that Nexus has the Init sound.
So I think this has something to do, how old the nexus version was.
So no REAL backward compatibility.

There is also an other bug, if I switch some presets, it sound like distorted, or bitcrushed. Than I have to switch the plugin off and on again, to let the following presets sounds normal.

yes very old presets (7-8 years old) do not load atm. But reFX is aware of that and will take a look into this.

noiseboyuk wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:13 pm
Removing presets is worrying. It's taking away something we paid for, which is bad enough, but that's not the bigger thing - I'm now slightly alarmed that if they broke copyright these old presets, its something I could be liable for if used in a production (I do have the Core expansion). Highly unlikely unless there was a high profile placement, but the principle feels quite unsettling. What else might be lurking in Nexus expansions that we could get sued for?

We do need a statment on this, we're very much into dodgy legal territory here.
All my presets are still there! I just think they stopped including the TV pack with the plugin for new customers... I don’t see it on the Nexus page anymore. Nexus 3 is really worth it in my opinion.
Last edited by Loudness_Contour on Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reefius wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:17 pm
m-ac wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:52 pm
Reefius wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:43 pm
commodore wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:27 pm Reefius, would you be willing to send those screen shots to refx in a ticket? maybe they can answer quickly.
Ticket created, but I think I can predict the reply... We don't own anything, we only have a license to use the software and the presets, so they can remove whatever they want.
Did you see my post above? It looks like you've got the right numbers now and your library was messed up beforehand.
Yes I did see it. I already got a reply to my ticket and they told me some presets got renamed recently, so I had the old ones and the new ones. This would explain the small differences for some expansions, but not the HUGE difference in the TV Movie Game expansion (from 86 to 44).

I remember playing around with the Axel F preset because it sounded almost exactly like the original theme song from Beverly Hills Cop. This preset, along with many others, is now nowhere to be found. In fact, I now have a preset named 'Crazy Axel' which is still kinda recognisable as the Axel F theme song, but without the typical bass melody from the original.

I replied to my ticket, asking them if these presets were removed/replaced for copyright reasons, because that's what it looks like.
Do you have the 7 skies expansion? I know they renamed the expansion to « artist » and it appeared twice in my library. Removing it would explain the difference in the number of presets.

Version 3.0.4 has fixed all activation problems for me. Works fine now.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

I've installed version 3.0.4. My activation issues still remain. :x

Loudness_Contour wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:35 pm Do you have the 7 skies expansion? I know they renamed the expansion to « artist » and it appeared twice in my library. Removing it would explain the difference in the number of presets.
Yes I know about the 7 Skies expansion, but my main issue is with the TV Movie Game expansion, which had its preset count reduced from 86 to 44 presets, while support keeps claiming no presets were ever removed, only renamed.

plrdmus wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:38 am
steve.lindqvist wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:27 pm
m-ac wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:52 pm
Reefius wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:43 pm
commodore wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:27 pm Reefius, would you be willing to send those screen shots to refx in a ticket? maybe they can answer quickly.
Ticket created, but I think I can predict the reply... We don't own anything, we only have a license to use the software and the presets, so they can remove whatever they want.
Did you see my post above? It looks like you've got the right numbers now and your library was messed up beforehand.
No, he is right. The following 42 original presets of this particular expansion disappeared:

Code: Select all

BR Real Blade Runner!.fxp
DL Blade Runner Drums.fxp
DL Hart to Hart Beat.fxp
DL Knight Rider Beat.fxp
FX Back to the Future G 160BPM.fxp
FX Max Riff G 140BPM.fxp
LD Knight Rider Lead.fxp
PN Cpt Future Piano.fxp
SQ Airwolf 1 A# 135BPM.fxp
SQ Airwolf 2 A# 135BPM.fxp
SQ Axel F Beat.fxp
SQ Axel F F 117BPM.fxp
SQ Blade G# 136BPM.fxp
SQ Blade Runner C 114BPM.fxp
SQ Capt. Fut Intro F 128BPM.fxp
SQ Capt. Future F 128BPM.fxp
SQ Central Park F 120BPM.fxp
SQ Chipmunks!  C 162BPM.fxp
SQ Das Boot C# 140 BPM.fxp
SQ Ghostbusters B 115BPM.fxp
SQ Halloween F# 130BPM.fxp
SQ Hart to Hart D 145BPM.fxp
SQ Knight Rider F# 114B.fxp
SQ Lost Patrol G 90BPM.fxp
SQ Lotus II D 130BPM.fxp
SQ Lotus II Intro D 130 BPM.fxp
SQ Mac Gyver D# 145BPM.fxp
SQ Magnum E 130BPM.fxp
SQ MaxHeadroom G 140BPM.fxp
SQ Miami Vice A 116BPM.fxp
SQ Missn Impssbl G 95BPM.fxp
SQ Monkey Island E 85BPM.fxp
SQ Neverending Story C 144BPM.fxp
SQ R-Type D# 125BPM.fxp
SQ SledgeHammer A160BPM.fxp
SQ The Addams A# 180BPM.fxp
SQ The Saint G# 150BPM.fxp
SQ The Terminator D 90BPM.fxp
SQ The Tripods A 120BPM.fxp
SQ Turrican 1 D# 185BPM.fxp
SQ Turrican 1+ D# 185BP.fxp
SQ Turrican 2 D# 185BPM.fxp
I downloaded that expansion back in 2018 (I haven't installed reFX Cloud) and those presets aren't on my folder. Nexus 2 ofc.
Definitely were in the xp once. I've redownloaded all xps before n3 came up because I had a bad feeling about future availablity wihtout refx cloud (which came true). I noticed some xps just had a smaller filesize and one of them was the tv movie xp. And indeed those are missing now.

Reefius wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:59 pm
Loudness_Contour wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:35 pm Do you have the 7 skies expansion? I know they renamed the expansion to « artist » and it appeared twice in my library. Removing it would explain the difference in the number of presets.
Yes I know about the 7 Skies expansion, but my main issue is with the TV Movie Game expansion, which had its preset count reduced from 86 to 44 presets, while support keeps claiming no presets were ever removed, only renamed.
Oh you're right! Some presets now sound different. They used to sound more like the actual theme... I remember they sounded pretty much exactly like the original themes. reFX probably tweaked them for copyright issues. But I have to say they were not super useful, unless you wanted to play them just for fun. I don't remember the preset count though... Are you sure it had 86 presets originally? I have a backup of the expansions on another drive from a year ago, and there is only 44 presets in there. It's possible they quietly made the change many months ago, before the N3 release.
Last edited by Loudness_Contour on Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It is quite possible they changed it a while ago. Since I already had the 'old' version I never noticed anything until I installed N3.

I also wonder, if they renamed a bunch of presets and some of these presets were used in any of my projects, will those projects still load properly?

Return to “Instruments”