Is Soundcloud still the best option for posting One-Synth-Challenge tracks?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:35 pm an outsider so just a query...

why is the comments on sc so important?
can comments not be made within the thread if it's not available on whatever site the audio is posted?
That's certainly an option, although having the comments in context while you listen to the track is for me a hugely better workflow. There would be no way to see all the comments for any given track easily and they would also be difficult to associate with a particular part of the track.
So - yes, could be done, but I think it would be a big step backwards!

The simplest 'solution' is that if you don't want to pay for SoundCloud (which I completely understand) then you just delete / move old tracks to make room for new OSC tracks, as other's have said. There will always be some limit to storage on a free service I imagine!

zarf wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:05 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:35 pm an outsider so just a query...

why is the comments on sc so important?
can comments not be made within the thread if it's not available on whatever site the audio is posted?
That's certainly an option, although having the comments in context while you listen to the track is for me a hugely better workflow. There would be no way to see all the comments for any given track easily and they would be difficult to associate with a particular part of the track.
So - yes, could be done, but I think it would be a big step backwards!

The simplest 'solution' is that if you don't want to pay for SoundCloud (which I completely understand) then you just delete / move old tracks to make room for new OSC tracks, as other's have said. There will always be some limit to storage on a free service I imagine!
i can certainly see the benefits :)
just thought it may offer a few more possibilities.
hope you all get something sorted.
be a shame if kvr lost the osc because of this (if it fizzled out due to difficulties i mean)

vurt wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:08 pm i can certainly see the benefits :)
just thought it may offer a few more possibilities.
hope you all get something sorted.
be a shame if kvr lost the osc because of this (if it fizzled out due to difficulties i mean)
pesky 'outsiders' come around here trying to help out :D
Thanks for your input and well wishes :)

metaside wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:55 pm Hearthis.at might be another option. It can be a bit laggy, but in my experience it's reliable and you can even import your soundcloud and mixcloud tracks with a click.
I just tried to get an EP on Audiomack, but something went wrong during the first upload and since then I got multiple very strange and partly incomplete error messages when editing, replacing tracks was not possible and so on. Deleted the whole EP in the end and closed the site. The site looks very nice though, will try again at some point ^^
i use hearthis.at. i dont understand why it never really gained any traction. it functions almost exactly like sc.....but i have completely abandoned my sc account, and it STILL gets many many more plays than hearthis.at does.

currently my completely abandoned sc account gets around 400 plays a year...my hearthis.at has only got 177 plays since i opened the account like 3 years ago or whenever it was.

hearthis.at is a total ghost town...im surprised its still around at all.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:55 pm
i use hearthis.at. i dont understand why it never really gained any traction. it functions almost exactly like sc.....but i have completely abandoned my sc account, and it STILL gets many many more plays than hearthis.at does.

currently my completely abandoned sc account gets around 400 plays a year...my hearthis.at has only got 177 plays since i opened the account like 3 years ago or whenever it was.

hearthis.at is a total ghost town...im surprised its still around at all.
Yeah it's really strange, HT even brought back the SC group feature and it didn't get anywhere close to the activity level I had hoped for... It's not dead though, I get plays and activity in groups, just much less activity than you would expect for the features...
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

https://hearthis.at/richardsemper/richa ... rney-isle/

Testing hearthis. Seems well featured and easy to use.
Not sure if comments are visible without premium account? When I uploaded it the option for Allow/Show comments says requires Premium account.

RichardSemper wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:06 pm https://hearthis.at/richardsemper/richa ... rney-isle/

Testing hearthis. Seems well featured and easy to use.
Not sure if comments are visible without premium account? When I uploaded it the option for Allow/Show comments says requires Premium account.
Afaik the premium option here is just to hide comments.
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

If OSC entrants delete old entries from SC, would that break any of the archives for entry lists? At a glance, the only lists of submissions I'm seeing for the last few months of competitions are the SC playlists in the forum threads. It would be sad for those tracks to start going missing.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

Yeah... missing tracks in OSC playlists will be sad side-effect. I agree on that.
YT | SC | FB | IG | earror :ud: KO :ud:

Soundcloud appears to have blundered unrecoverably. It was only a matter of time. Soon they will be as forgotten as myspace so I won't bother going into the business theory here. Regardless of intent, and without access to their precise analytics, the artist demographic they are attempting to craft is very unorthodox, to say the least.

Bandcamp is one of the most ethical platforms for independent artists.

There are ways to embed Bandcamp tracks on forums, but it seems to require a bit of fiddling.

OSC could also operate as a record label via bandcamp, publishing the entrant's work. Imagine that.

Facebook is also a cornerstone of hope in a world that just tries to datamine you and profit from your private data. Or were they a pioneer of that? I'm certain it's one of the two...

Audius seemed familiarly constructed but the servers seem... undeveloped. Small, test uploads have failed twice, but this may be browser related. They should charge users, especially the ones with the least money. Oh wait.
quick, _ake what you want in life

https://www.orfium.com/track/949467/3am ... ardsemper/

Trying out Orfium:
High quality uploads. No upload limits. Has commenting. Downloads work
Looks like the no in-line player for the forum - see link above

FrogsInPants wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:36 pm If OSC entrants delete old entries from SC, would that break any of the archives for entry lists? At a glance, the only lists of submissions I'm seeing for the last few months of competitions are the SC playlists in the forum threads. It would be sad for those tracks to start going missing.
Do we really need to delete any old uploads? I would like to quote soundcloud email excerpt:
SoundCloud wrote:To make lossless HD file management free to all, starting December 9th, our free upload limit will change from 3 hours of audio, to 3 hours or 15 tracks. This will not impact existing uploads.
I think no one needs to delete old tracks, so, old OSC playlists will have no impact.

In my forum is not displayed to the player. Comments are tied to a specific time in the track? I see the possibility of loading the track. Overall looks good. Nice track by the way! Dexed is one of my favorite synths)

In General, the SoundCloud policy can be an excuse for many to move their main work to another service. But if we consider OSC separately from the main creativity of the artist (although for some it may be part of the main creativity), it might not be very difficult to get one account for 15 tracks only for OSC, if SoundCloud is more convenient than the rest or is rigidly connected to the voting system. I will switch to whatever service the OSC community chooses, however I am very inspired by the comments left in important places of my track!

Dee.P.Tree wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:43 pm
FrogsInPants wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:36 pm If OSC entrants delete old entries from SC, would that break any of the archives for entry lists? At a glance, the only lists of submissions I'm seeing for the last few months of competitions are the SC playlists in the forum threads. It would be sad for those tracks to start going missing.
Do we really need to delete any old uploads? I would like to quote soundcloud email excerpt:
SoundCloud wrote:To make lossless HD file management free to all, starting December 9th, our free upload limit will change from 3 hours of audio, to 3 hours or 15 tracks. This will not impact existing uploads.
I think no one needs to delete old tracks, so, old OSC playlists will have no impact.
The point of deletion was raised for the following scenario - You have exceeded the free limit on your account and you still want to use the same account to submit a track to OSC. In that case you'd either need to delete the old uploads or get a PRO subscription.

In case you have not exceeded the limit, you can still use your previous basic account to submit tracks (till you exceed the limit) without the need to delete old uploads.

Dee.P.Tree wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:43 pm
Uploading is disabled if your old tracks take you over the limit.

Return to “Instruments”