Available now: Tone2 Icarus2.5 - Wavetable Workstation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Icarus3

Caine123 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:21 pm when i install icarus2 with my icarus1 full version will it be overwritten? i have to wait 1-2 weeks for payment :/ BF was too much...
i wanna check out the randomizer :D
Yes, my Icarus 1 has been overwritten by version 2.

Do not expect too much from the randomization feature except what Markus wrote about it.
I don´t want to make it bad in any way but it is not a full featured, smart randomization engine.
What I would love to see in a future update is:

- lock individual parameters when randomize (without this option, randomization doesn´t make much sense to me)
- randomization affects every OSC, not only the first.
- or what would be even better, give us the option in the settings menu to select what we want to randomize.
The only parameter from the OSC settings that is randomized is Detune.
Every other button like Oct, Wave, Fade, Morph, Pan, Phase, LFO1, LFO2 remains unaffected.
Last edited by enCiphered on Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

enCiphered wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:23 pm
Caine123 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:21 pm when i install icarus2 with my icarus1 full version will it be overwritten? i have to wait 1-2 weeks for payment :/ BF was too much...
thx, oh then i cannot demo :/ i will wait 1-2 weeks, ahhh i need money
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

mevla wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:12 pm There's a lot more choices and flexibility using 'external' effects. They are clearly laid out in the DAW making it possible to see at a glance what the usage is during any stage of the mix, and when one comes back to a mix after a while. It also enables to constantly assess, for instance, if reverb is present or if it's a release stage of the envelope of a synth.

Apart from that, except for some cases I'm usually weary of sound sets that dope their sounds in reverb, to name only that effect. Sounds 'impressive' on their own, becomes more difficult to mix and often, when the 'internal' FX are removed or toned down, say for mixing purposes, what's left is not so glamorous.
I know all that and I agree with it all, but again, regardless, I want to know why.

So can anyone 'please' just give me a straight answer ?

Also about the upgrade options since sellers are still selling version 1 ?

THANK YOU.

RandyEspoda wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:02 pm I know all that and I agree with it all, but again, regardless, I want to know why.
I doubt you are going to get an answer that is more detailed than "that's how it is". It's about 50% more FX slots compared to other Tone2 synths but it seems to follow Markus's usual approach to built-in FX. It's not as if there's a bunch of modulation targets for the built-in FX in any case - which other than being able to slap everything into one preset, is about the only reason to want them integrated rather than just using DAW inserts.
RandyEspoda wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:02 pm Also about the upgrade options since sellers are still selling version 1 ?

THANK YOU.
From the first post of this thread, edited in at the end of November:

"Customers who purchased Icarus1 through a 3rd party reseller after November the 30th 16:00 through a 3rd party reseller will be able to ugrade for the difference price."

First of all: Thanks a lot for all who supported our small company buy purchasing the upgrade or buying Icarus2!

We received lots of very positive feedback and luckily everything is running very smoothly.
Finally i will be able to relax a bit :-)
Are you seeing an optimization update in the future for Gladiator that would make the UI faster in response ?
I will examine if it is possible to optimize this for Gladiator 3.1.
Make sure that you installed the latest drivers for your graphics-card. This can also cause bad performance.
With the virtual keyboard, the white keys only seem to react to the mouse in the lower half of each key. On purpose?
There is a technical reason for this. It difficult to handle buttons that are not rectangular.
Is there any way we can get a larger arp library for Icarus 2?
It is possible to create own your arp patters. They are stored in Icarus_data/Icarus_arps
If there is demand we can create additonal content in the future
'why' are there only 3 effects possible in the chain?
Most synths I've seen offer more. In other words with icarus only 3 effects can be used simultaneously,...
Unlike most other synths Icarus has a real modular effect-section. Here you can load any type of FX to any slot. This is not possible with most other synths.
There is also an additional limiter, an EQ and 10 more effects in the Glitch-unit available.
More FX slots would be technically possible, but the RAM requirement would be very high. This is critical for users who still use the 32bit version.
certain shops still sell a license for Icarus 1
Icarus1 is officially not longer available since today. Looks like some shops need an update
Icarus2 is available exclusively only from our own website www.tone2.com
when i install icarus2 with my icarus1 full version will it be overwritten?
There is no need to keep the old one.
Icarus2 is 100% downwards compatible. You will be able to load all your existing songs and patches without any further steps necessary.
If you want to keep v1.x on PC you can rename the dll to Icarus1.dll . Many (but not all) hosts can handle this.
For doing a test install on PC you can install it to C:\Icarus2test . Then nothing is changed on the existing installation.
If you built own patches i recommend to backup them before doing the installation.
I also recommend unistalling v1.x before you install v2.0

Have a nice weekend!
Markus

Do not expect too much from the randomization feature except what Markus wrote about it.
I don´t want to make it bad in any way but it is not a full featured, smart randomization engine.
What I would love to see in a future update is:

- lock individual parameters when randomize (without this option, randomization doesn´t make much sense to me)
- randomization affects every OSC, not only the first.
- or what would be even better, give us the option in the settings menu to select what we want to randomize.
The only parameter from the OSC settings that is randomized is Detune.
Every other button like Oct, Wave, Fade, Morph, Pan, Phase, LFO1, LFO2 remains unaffected.
Oh i expected more from the randomizer :/ yeah your suggestions will hopefully be added :)
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

@Markus: have you already sent out upgrade e-mails to existing Icarus 1-customers? I haven't received anything yet.
Thanks.

Caine123 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:25 pm
thx, oh then i cannot demo :/ i will wait 1-2 weeks, ahhh i need money
~~~~~~~~~~
The VST-ID is overwritten but as Markus said you can install it in a diferent folder
You can also rename Icarus.dll to Icarus(1/2/a/b/c/etc.... .dll)
.. if in diferent folders no problems should arise ( if in doubt backup Icarus1 folder....)

Outside DAW Standalone should work regardless, instead of the icon on desktop go to Icarus2 instalation folder and manually double click on IcarusX64.exe (Standalone Application)
Last edited by tasty tatsyn on Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Markus Krause wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:28 pm First of all: Thanks a lot for all who supported our small company buy purchasing the upgrade or buying Icarus2!
Is there any way we can get a larger arp library for Icarus 2?
It is possible to create own your arp patters. They are stored in Icarus_data/Icarus_arps
If there is demand we can create additonal content in the future
I think a larger ARP library will make it more useful and competitive....

enCiphered wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:09 pm
RandyEspoda wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:04 pm Also, why does it only have 3 FX chained instead of say 5 or 6 like you would expect ?

Thnks for answering.
Don´t you think that using external effects is always a better solution? I don´t know how other people think about it but I never use synth-internal effects. I love to sculpt a raw sound out of the synth and then process it with my own effects.
3 effects, plus limiter and a very nice separate Equalizer, so at the end of the day the FX section is not bad at all.

I like to have built-in effects because not seldom are the effects an important part of the patch itself, so I want to save them along with the patch. Also important for professional sound designers selling sound sets.

What I do find a bit strange is the dull gray design of the FX section, it doesn't match the rest of the colorful GUI somehow.

Top notch Update! Programming top, love all the new stuff. And top sound design!

e-crooner wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:21 pm
enCiphered wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:09 pm
RandyEspoda wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:04 pm Also, why does it only have 3 FX chained instead of say 5 or 6 like you would expect ?

Thnks for answering.
Don´t you think that using external effects is always a better solution? I don´t know how other people think about it but I never use synth-internal effects. I love to sculpt a raw sound out of the synth and then process it with my own effects.
3 effects, plus limiter and a very nice separate Equalizer, so at the end of the day the FX section is not bad at all.

I like to have built-in effects because not seldom are the effects an important part of the patch itself, so I want to save them along with the patch. Also important for professional sound designers selling sound sets.

What I do find a bit strange is the dull gray design of the FX section, it doesn't match the rest of the colorful GUI somehow.
~~~~~~~~
~i think it's a compromise for the diferent color schemes available~....
setup -> Set skin colour
(my favourites....., Ocean text and Grandma)

anyone wants to share opinions on MPE?
...If possible... More specifically the Icarus2 experience with MPE keyboard vs non MPE keyboard if you have both?

Side question, anyone has one of these?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQmXboF1q3Y

I am no expert in playing, but this K-Board wasn't too impressive for me, but I only tested the poly-aftertouch-only version. Seemed to be not too precise. There are not many good MPE controllers available. Seaboard Rise surely is good, and Linnstrument, but both are expensive. Maybe simply try this K-Board yourself, you can send it back.

Caine123 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:52 am MATE! what a awesome track, would love to see how you did this one! always love dnb!
recursive one wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:05 pm This sounds dope :tu: Incredible production and also very good musically.
Thank you both very much! I'm happy you like it! Also thanks for the interest in the production on this, I want do some production-related videos together with a few people I'm collabing with, including MPE and also some Icarus-related things, but it will take some time since we are all pretty busy.
enCiphered wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:57 am You should definitely re-master this track. Way too loud, and oversaturated
Thank you! I really appreciate the feedback and agree that it's very saturated - I tend to make my DNB WIPs extremly loud with brute-force premastering ^^
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

Return to “Instruments”