Available now: Tone2 Icarus2.5 - Wavetable Workstation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Icarus3

Sampleconstruct wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:42 pm @Markus: have you already sent out upgrade e-mails to existing Icarus 1-customers? I haven't received anything yet.
I also haven't received any email although I jumped in out of enthusiasm and chose the 'update' option of the shop.

The file that I got though, is named:

Tone2_Icarus2_64bit_rc1.exe

Release Candidate 1 ?

Release Candidate 1
Same file I got for upgrading, works perfectly, just install, all good. You can even take the demoverion, its the same, and then just authorize with the keyfile you got sent per email.

I am not sure if this will be possible in anyway but it just came to my mind while playing around with the 1 key presets, which are kind of "song-construction-kits" more then only presets, that it would be absolutely great to have the opportunity to "mix" them in another way.

With the drum no problem you can just load another preset but it would just be great if you could save the oscillators (in this case the "instruments" of the construction kit) as "instruments" with all settings including fx and arp and then load them again as you like.

Hope you get what I mean, so you could as imagined example load the bass from one 1key construction kit which is on osciallator 1 load into a another preset and just replace the "instrument" there. Or just take three "instruments" from three 1key presets, load them into three empty oscialltors and create a completely new 1key preset/construction kit.

Would be helpful for the randomn function to, as this only works on osc1 you could save a good one as "instrument", load it into osc2 and hit randomn for the osc1 again and so on.

No idea if this is possible in anyway, so just forget about it if not, but just came to my mind and I thought just to mention it.

wow i have literally tried everything i can think of and i just can't get ableton 10.1.5 to recognise it, tried it on another computer with 10.0.5 and it shows, im at my witts end :help:
tatanka wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:16 pm

Release Candidate 1
Same file I got for upgrading, works perfectly, just install, all good. You can even take the demoverion, its the same, and then just authorize with the keyfile you got sent per email.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:54 pm I am no expert in playing, but this K-Board wasn't too impressive for me, but I only tested the poly-aftertouch-only version. Seemed to be not too precise. There are not many good MPE controllers available. Seaboard Rise surely is good, and Linnstrument, but both are expensive. Maybe simply try this K-Board yourself, you can send it back.
Seaboard Block is also an option and relatively cheap on sale, I tested two linked together with a friend and it worked fine (although you can't slide from one block to the other). I like the LinnStrument more for the layout and the surface, but both are great imho. Continuumini and the new upcoming Osmose are looking very interesting, too.
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

Sureno, sadly no ideas hear, I am on win 10 and if I got it right you are on mac ? Have tried it now in two of my daw Mulab and Mixcraft, no problem. But as you got it working in Ableton on another computer....only thing I can imagine that maybe the overwriting of the Icarus1 (which really surprised me to be honest) caused some trouble under this special circumstances, but I am afraid apart from Markus nobody will be really able to help you with this :-(

well i think i just stumbled on a small progress in my search,

initially i installed it on my main computer running 10.13.6 with LIVE 10.1.5
no joy
tried endless approaches to make it work and nothing

installed it on another computer running 10.13.5 with LIVE 10.0.5
IT WORKED!!!
NOW here is the interesting part, updated LIVE to 10.1.5
its been seen but i can no longer load the vst
AU is still fine

So im thinking on LIVE 10.1.5 it can't open the vat to initialize/scan it???

Im just hoping some one at ableton or TONE2 can help out
waiting on responses
tatanka wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:57 pm Sureno, sadly no ideas hear, I am on win 10 and if I got it right you are on mac ? Have tried it now in two of my daw Mulab and Mixcraft, no problem. But as you got it working in Ableton on another computer....only thing I can imagine that maybe the overwriting of the Icarus1 (which really surprised me to be honest) caused some trouble under this special circumstances, but I am afraid apart from Markus nobody will be really able to help you with this :-(

I’m using latest Live 10 on Mojave. I can’t see a vst either, there may be glitch there. The au is working fine for me.

You just made my night :clap:

I thought I was going crazy
randygo wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:38 pm I’m using latest Live 10 on Mojave. I can’t see a vst either, there may be glitch there. The au is working fine for me.

Just wanted to say I have never used Icarus and downloaded the new demo today and am really impressed. I found it really easy to dig into and jump into things modulation targeting, wavetables, randomization etc. the Arp and drum stuff is confusing but something tells me that maybe looking at the manual would help. ;)

Still need to decide if I’m going to take the plunge (already have NI Komplete and Dune 3) but am really enjoying it so far. Any plans to do NKS integration? I use a NI keyboard and would love integration. Great work Tone2!

Markus Krause wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:28 pm Unlike most other synths Icarus has a real modular effect-section. Here you can load any type of FX to any slot. This is not possible with most other synths.
There is also an additional limiter, an EQ and 10 more effects in the Glitch-unit available.
More FX slots would be technically possible, but the RAM requirement would be very high. This is critical for users who still use the 32bit version.
Ah, ok Markus, that is the answer I was looking for. I read about it somewhere in one of the Tone2 threads but couldn't find it anymore.

It's just that I use SynthMaster 2 and its FX section is also modular where you can put any effect in any slot, both global and even in group busses though that's to accommodate the 2-layers separately.

That's why I was wondering basically. I'm thinking if it works well for SM it could work at least as well for Icarus. and although it is true that separate effect chains are in general cleaner ways to work, in SM I find its FX section so darned good implemented with highpass filters and eq stages pre/post implemented in almost every effect and internal modulation option to them, it is one of the strongest aspects of that synth, and I truly believe with something like that Icarus would truly be brilliant. That FX section is what I love most about SM2, because it is that strong, and makes a very clean implementation of them possible with added modulation options that are more difficult to set up externally. Having a modular FX section of 5-6 effects, all interchangable with their parameters able to be modulated internally through the mod matrix, and with the needed hpf /lpf and eq controls needed to implement them clean so they don't turn to mush, makes it imo a very good idea to use the internal effects. Limited as they are in Icarus, then of course, anyone will prefer external effects. The effects on icarus are so lush and musical though, that they would definitely shine when taken to the max of their potential, such as has been done in SM2 for instance. You can take up to 20 simultaneous effects (5+5 across two layers and 5+5 globally across two busses) in whatever order you like, and they all have some control to high pass or eq the effect in question, then you can modulate any of their parameters. Those are also fairly pristine FX, so that makes its internal fx actually even better than when trying to achieve similar results externally.

I'm not saying you should implement all those things, I get why you prefer a modest clean FX section without too much fuss, but it could be so much better still, and imo the FX in Icarus do sound SO darned good that they deserve to be 'somewhat' like that where you can 'really' use 4 or 5 of them fully modular and to their full potential. combined with the awesomeness of the synth itself, that would be a flatout winner on all levels, it would be incredible to use, including the effects. At this time SM2 though wins in regards of the FX section, hands down...its synthesis though is not as 'pristine' as in Icarus. Its wavetable synthesis is basic compared to Icarus...
certain shops still sell a license for Icarus 1

Icarus1 is officially not longer available since today. Looks like some shops need an update
Icarus2 is available exclusively only from our own website www.tone2.com
I see. Cool. Thanks for clarifying.
And a good health to you, Markus.

I would've expected the dynamic pitch resynthesis to make use of the new high-precision MSEG instead of the low resolution step LFO. Also, the Osc1 Wave parameter isn't recognized in Logic Pro, even though Osc2 & 3 wave parameters are recognized.

Sounding great, though! And it loads faster than any other wavetable synth I've got, too.

have you already sent out upgrade e-mails to existing Icarus 1-customers? I haven't received anything yet.
Please note that the upgrade is free only for customers who bought it for the regular price till April 2019. You purchased it in August 2018. Check your email ;-)
----
@sureno:
I am further investigating this and will provide a free update if it should caused by our software.
So far it seems to be an incompatibility with software-norarisation + Ableton 10.1.5 + VST. I currently assume that Ableton requires an update. I assume that it affects also other plugins.
I recommend just using the AU version instead of the VST till the problem with Ableton 10.1.5 is fixed.
---
I would've expected the dynamic pitch resynthesis to make use of the new high-precision MSEG

This is something possible for a future update

Markus Krause wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:17 am
have you already sent out upgrade e-mails to existing Icarus 1-customers? I haven't received anything yet.
Please note that the upgrade is free only for customers who bought it for the regular price till April 2019. You purchased it in August 2018. Check your email ;-)
Thank you very much and some :tu:

Thanks Marcus, I’m a beta tester for Ableton and the vst isn’t showing in their latest release, I will flag it with them too if that helps

So far I haven’t run into any other plugins (not Catalina compatible or otherwise) that have this issue, I have a vast array of plugins all running latest versions
Markus Krause wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:17 am
----
@sureno:
I am further investigating this and will provide a free update if it should caused by our software.
So far it seems to be an incompatibility with software-norarisation + Ableton 10.1.5 + VST. I currently assume that Ableton requires an update. I assume that it affects also other plugins.
I recommend just using the AU version instead of the VST till the problem with Ableton 10.1.5 is fixed.
---
I would've expected the dynamic pitch resynthesis to make use of the new high-precision MSEG

This is something possible for a future update

Return to “Instruments”