Nexus 3 automating the Features layers

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

New Nexus user, and recently purchased Nexus 3. Wow, really impressed by this instrument!! The last ReFX instrument I owned was Vanguard, so that really dates me. :)

Going through the patches/expansions, and of course in Sequences, it's awesome to be able to build the arrangement by turning things on and off in the Features tab (screenshot attached). However, I haven't figured out how to automate that. Is that even possible in Nexus? I'm using this in Reason 11, so clicking on a "tab" doesn't allow me to automate it's on/off state. Curious if this a feature that I am overlooking..appreciate the guidance from more seasoned Nexus users. Thanks.

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

That's not possible by default as far as I know.
One solution would be to save all (single) layers as user presets and change the presets via CC.
Another workaround and my personal way to get as good as it gets "under the hood" of Nexus is to control layer elements directly via MIDI CC. In the MOD-MATRIX you can assign MIDI CCs or the MW to several interesting destinations including volume of layer 1-16. You can now easily automate CC16 (0 = off 127 = on) via your DAW for example. See screenshot attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Very cool. Now I gotta figure out how to automate midi CC in Reason. :)

Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 5.27.57 PM.png
This doesn't seem to work. Steps I've taken:

- Layer 5 is turned on in features
- Macro1 is set to control the volume of layer 5
- In my DAW, I am sending automation to put Macro 1 in Min or Max (basically to simulate that on/off state)
- I can see it working, but Layer 5 is always audible and on. So nothing is being modulated and controlled via Macro1. Am I missing a step?

Just turn the modulation depth to -127 and use the macro controllers in the opposite direction (fully open = mute, fully closed = full volume). This works more like an unipolar signal modulation.

Perfect!! That worked great. Thank you. :)

Return to “Instruments”