How much does the color/ finish of a guitar matter to you?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ah! Carry on, then!
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:42 pm Ah! Carry on, then!
the funny thing is,if i did intend to, i could ring either his missus or kids and they'd probably say "cool, ill pick you up later when he goes to work" : :lol:

to five you an idea of why, when i was about 8 or 9 he would have been 13/14. him and a couple of his friends, held me down and hog tied my feet. threw the rope over a swing frame, then hung me upside down while battering me with plastic baseball bats, cricket bats and branches.

thunder c**t of the highest order.

or the time we went fishing, he sent me to the shops for snacks. when i came back hed took a shit in my tackle box.

Arsehole. I f**king hate bullies with a passion.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Alder, Basswod and Birch are less expensive woods simply based on lack of grain. Alder has the same tonal characteristics as Ash,

Basswood has a heavy tone but a lighter weight meaning it gives a little more beef to the body tone but it's easy to nick or scratch.

Birch has the tonal character of Spruce.

These slight differences in material costs are boosted into production costs. Even though the laminate or paint that covers them can almost make the production values the same.

In the 80's it was popular to use contact paper as a laminate covering for bodies on guitars to make them look more appealing. This is still going on today. While the grain on my Dinky only looks laminated if you look at it from the side carefully most would not be able to tell. It sounds great, looks great, plays great.

Gloss or satin is all dependent on your personality and what you want to express visually. That being said... Treat your guitar with respect and it will be as visually appealing as it was when you bought it for years to come.

• Before you play guitar, wash your hands.
  • Wipe down the guitar with a moist cloth before and after you play.
  • When you play guitar wear a shirt.
  • Cover your belt buckle and avoid zippers and other metal.
  • If you take a break put the guitar on a guitar stand. Don't just throw it on a couch or chair or lean it up against something.
  • When you are done playing the guitar put it back in the case. If you want it out for show only do so when you have an audience.
  • Give your guitar a thorough cleaning when you change the strings
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Good advice. I tend to take very good care of my guitars. When I bought the first guitar after I got off the street, I was living with a friend, and one day we had company over. I went to my bedroom to pickup the guitar case, and the guitar fell out, leaving an oval chip about 1" in diameter in the finish. This was a week after I bought it, so naturally I put my fist through a wall. Good thing it wasn't cement.

Also, the acoustic I had when I was on the street was pretty much dead 20 years later, and I abandoned it when I moved to Germany. Ironically, I later met a luthier who could've restored it. Doh.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Forgotten wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:34 pm Totally agree on acoustics - they just look terrible when painted.
I can't agree. Couple of years back I picked up a black LAG classical acoustic for £45 (ebay). I was the only bidder. It sounds and plays brilliantly. Looks great too imho.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:03 pm
Forgotten wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:34 pm Totally agree on acoustics - they just look terrible when painted.
I can't agree. Couple of years back I picked up a black LAG classical acoustic for £45 (ebay). I was the only bidder. It sounds and plays brilliantly. Looks great too imho.
I’m sure that playability has nothing to do with how something is finished, but the above is more of a personal statement than something I expect everyone to agree with - I really don’t like the look of painted acoustics at all.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:03 pm Couple of years back I picked up a black LAG classical acoustic for £45 (ebay). I was the only bidder. It sounds and plays brilliantly. Looks great too imho.
These guitars seem to be moderately priced new, way above entry level.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Solid color acoustics are fine. I had a Godin L.R. Baggs. It was a fully chambered telecaster shape and predecessor to the acoustcaster / multiac guitars. Took 6 months to build.

It was stunning and played like butter.

Oddly there was a time when Grand Pianos only came in black. Black was considered "classy" and any color other than black wouldn't move off the showroom floor.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Bombadil wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:54 pm ...I went to my bedroom to pickup the guitar case, and the guitar fell out, leaving an oval chip about 1" in diameter in the finish. ....
I don't always follow my own good advice. Many years back I had lined most of my guitars against a bedroom wall. Just leaned them there. Cats damn Cats. The cats started running around the place and my guitars fell like dominos. All of them suffered small nicks to the bodies and necks as a result.

When I put my guitars in cases I tend to forget about them and go for the last one I played. Which means they don't get the rotation they deserve. More so right now as I tend to think of the Joe Pass Epi as being new and it gets a heavier rotation. I may get into the habit of pulling three different ones out for the week and going from there. Come January (hopefully) I'll be getting my Dangelico EXL-1

tapper mike wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:19 pm When I put my guitars in cases I tend to forget about them and go for the last one I played.
I try to make a guitar case less accessible after I play a guitar to make me go for one I haven’t played for a while. It’s not a perfect system, but it does make me rotate my guitars.

Forgotten wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:23 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:03 pm
I’m sure that playability has nothing to do with how something is finished, but the above is more of a personal statement than something I expect everyone to agree with - I really don’t like the look of painted acoustics at all.
https://youtu.be/uzX2MxIMGVk

clearly given his michelin man appearance these days, cutting heroin with butter is a thing nowadays :shrug:

The Noodlist wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:52 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:03 pm Couple of years back I picked up a black LAG classical acoustic for £45 (ebay). I was the only bidder. It sounds and plays brilliantly. Looks great too imho.
These guitar seem to be moderately priced new, way above entry level.
This is the model I have ...

iirc the mrrp price for a TN66A was around £400 when I bought mine ... they are a bit cheaper now. I'm really happy with mine. It sounds like a much more expensive guitar to my ears, and it got me back into playing after shattering my left wrist.

Return to “Guitars”