What is your practice regiment?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Currently mines terrible, though not nonexistent. I focus in on a song I want to learn. I do a quick transcription of a songs melody, Then I arrange a suitable harmony. Then I re arrange it for either straight fingerpicking or fingerpicking plus tapping then I try to fight my way through learning it. Scoring can be the enemy. Because I'll completely forget sections unless I have the score in front of me. What used to take only an hour to get down to "playable all the way through" now can take a week or more. Once I think I've mastered it I'll play it a few times afterwards and then forget the song because it isn't that committed to memory.

I want to get back to a routine where I.
Workout scales, Play my backlog of songs to internalize them. Get through my latest arrangements. Have some fun improvising.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

Terrible here too if you’re talking guitar, but good with piano. It’s easier with piano as you can get Hanon exercise books (that also help with sight reading), but not sure if they’re available for guitar.

these days.

get high, noodle.

which is slightly different to my old regime
get high.
noodle with enough gain and fuzz that it didn't matter i cant play.

None. I twat around for a bit until I come up with something I like then record it, hopefully having enough useable bits to cut up into a song arrangement. The only time I actually play for playing's sake (rather than to write) is when I turn up the amp to annoy the neighbours with some metel. :hihi:

Don't think I can actually play anything more than the first riff or chords or so of anything I haven't written myself, and I can't remember most of them either. :scared:

donkey tugger wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:48 pm None. I twat around for a bit until I come up with something I like then record it, hopefully having enough useable bits to cut up into a song arrangement. The only time I actually play for playing's sake (rather than to write) is when I turn up the amp to annoy the neighbours with some metel. :hihi:

Don't think I can actually play anything more than the first riff or chords or so of anything I haven't written myself, and I can't remember most of them either. :scared:
do you think this might be why "the north" is a bit f**ked,
we do seem to have an "ive done what needs doing, no point doing more" attitude to most things.

Sounds a bit like the south in the US. “The South will rise again!”

“Maybe we’ll get back to that next week or something” :hihi:

pay! we have no desire to rise.
might encourage southerners to live up here :o

Forgotten wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:40 pm Terrible here too if you’re talking guitar, but good with piano. It’s easier with piano as you can get Hanon exercise books (that also help with sight reading), but not sure if they’re available for guitar.
I used to play some Hanon on keys. On guitar it really doesn't work because of the fretboard layout. If you are into that pattern based motion one is better served up by Coltrane progressions over Soloninsky patters.
https://bibliolore.org/2014/04/27/sloni ... -coltrane/

I walked away from that method as I found there were no easy transitions for chord changes and one really couldn't just run aimless patterns over the head and create something meaningful. (ymmv) I've always preferred modal jazz or Charlie Parker methodologies. I only know two Bird songs. Blues for Alice and Donna Lee. I rarely reach for his licks but I do retain things like aiming for chord tones, neighboring and passing tones and encapsulate.

I might follow Coltrane or Bird if I had better skills on saxophone, but I don’t even read well for sax. I can improvise to lead sheets if they’re simple, but I only know blues scale (minor pentatonic with flatted fifth) in a few keys.

The problem is that I know how to play with varied amounts of skill on different instruments, so can’t focus on them all. I used to be better on guitar because I practiced more, but spend more time on piano now to get better at sight reading and improve technique.

I got back into reading standard notation when I got the linnstrument. It's actually easier than trying to tab things out.

The biggest thing about reading notation is actually doing it. Doing it all the time. If you want to be scared of playing from notation then okay you win, don't read, be scared. People who can read notation are not gods. They simply are those that chose to. Even those who learned it from an early age can unlearn most of it by ignoring it. I learned late (22) It was helpful back then. Almost no songbooks came in tab format, though they would use chord diagrams for the chords oftentimes it was the incorrect position.

Speaking of positions... positional playing and sight reading.
I picked up a few Leavitt books back in the 80's and early 90's
Melodic Rhythms for Guitar
Reading Studies for Guitar
Classical Studies for Pick-Style Guitar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_L ... (musician)

But they all made me a better sight reader in the process. Around 2008 someone in the BIAB user group had transcribed the first one into BIAB format. Very cheesy, made even more cheesy by windows soundcard back then.

Totally agree on sight reading - it’s more daunting than difficult, an no harder to pick up than learning the mechanics of playing an instrument.

I never got on with tabs though, as they simply don’t convey enough information to play something without listening to someone else play it first - I just feel I might as well just figure it out by ear rather than try to follow tabs.

1. Listen to some Steely Dan (or any of the usual suspects, really).
2. Realize how awesome the guitar part is.
3. Try to play said part. Try.
4. Get depressed and angry.
5. Woodshed for days until I can play it half as well.
6. Swear off music for the rest of my life.
7. Listen to some Steely Dan... (GOTO 1, in other words.)

A similar pattern holds for keys and composition, but it's usually that Beato guy instead.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

My whole guitar insanity over the last few months has had one positive outcome: I've played guitar more than I have in a long time. And in that time, it became really clear to me what years of noodling around trying to come up with something decent has done to my skills. They've atrophied. When I was young, I would learn new songs all the time, increasingly difficult, and then...I just stopped. I figured I had enough chops to compose what I wanted, but it hasn't worked out that way.
So, I've promised myself that I'm going back to basics and start growing again as a musician. It's who I am, though sometimes life gets too hectic, rough, depressing, I forget...I am a musician. I'll certainly never equal the ability and knowledge of some here, but I know that I'm perfectly capable of making people happy with my playing. Including myself.

I am learning Travis picking, at least insofar as Lennon used the technique for Dear Prudence and Julia, which are my short-term goals to master.
I have a tut vid by Buster B. Jones, and I am going to seriously apply myself to its exercises. If you've never heard of him, Check him out. It's a damn shame he drank himself to death.
I also want the external reinforcement of playing in front of audiences again. I miss playing for people. If I play for others, I am far more likely to practice my ass off.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

just get a load of pedals :shrug:
the right combination, one schwang! is a 25 minute post rock drone 8)

Can do the same thing with Amplitube or S-Gear. But, you see, I am not 'post-rock.'
I also am learning Pink Floyd's 'Dogs.' How Gilmour came up with the drop tuning and the chord phrasing has been a revelation.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Return to “Guitars”