How to make this rolling fuzzy bassline

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvyuYtwOKBM

Starts at the beginning of the track, a Korg MS2000 was used to make it, how can recreate it with a vst synth?

Hi. It's a normal Saw.
Intel I9 9900X / Asus Prime X299-A / 32 GB DDR 4 / NVidia Geforce RTX 2080 / Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 / Win 10 Pro 64 Bit / Ableton Live 11 64bit / Reason 11

Hi, I tried it, it sounds basic and not fuzzy enough, I guess the secret is in Korgs oscillators or the distortion processing. Gotta keep trying

Excellent free Korg emulations:

Full Bucket Music
https://www.fullbucket.de/music/vst.html

There's a bit of vibrato on it too, but it's just a saw with a little distortion/saturation. No secret, just tweak.

To me, it sounds like a saw run through a saturator or light distortion, with a low pass on it. I'd start there, play around until you get something you like.

The distortion or trash you hear is called "Quality loss due to compressed Soundformat".
Or do you own a clean WAV master of that remix?

I had that in past with someone. We tried to rebuild sounds close as possible and he listened to youtube 2003-2008 videos with bad quality... so he heard distortion all the time where no distortion was. :)

i think its a normal saw. maybe a little very quick lfo to finetine..
Intel I9 9900X / Asus Prime X299-A / 32 GB DDR 4 / NVidia Geforce RTX 2080 / Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 / Win 10 Pro 64 Bit / Ableton Live 11 64bit / Reason 11

ReboundAudio wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:14 am The distortion or trash you hear is called "Quality loss due to compressed Soundformat".

I had that in past with someone. We tried to rebuild sounds close as possible and he listened to youtube 2003-2008 videos with bad quality... so he heard distortion all the time where no distortion was. :)

No, it sounds like this even in better quality.

uralianghost wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:43 am
ReboundAudio wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:14 am The distortion or trash you hear is called "Quality loss due to compressed Soundformat".

No, it sounds like this even in better quality.
OK then really try a quick LFO on finetune(cents) that could bring the result.

I think there are multiple layers of sound there that are hard to separate. The fuzziness blends some of the different sounds together a bit.

There seems to be a lower, simple drone with a saturated fuzzy saw where the cutoff frequency of the low-pass filter, with little resonance, is rocked back and forth fairly sharply in a fairly small range of amplitude, probably with an LFO with a nearly square waveform. The volume also seems to me to being modulated with another LFO, this one faster, probably twice the rate of the first, maybe a triangle. It almost sounds like two notes, back and forth, but I think that's the difference in harmonic content from different LP filter cutoff frequencies. There might be some difference of tuning of two oscillators, perhaps one osc tuned a fifth above the other, but with a different waveform, something maybe between a saw and square. I am getting something similar in Serum this way. I might be way off though!

Then there is a higher synth part that is more melodic and seems to have multiple notes played together or two oscillators tuned to different frequencies with some vibrato added.

The higher overtone portion of the saturated bass saw and some of what is happening in the higher, more melodic part, are blending together. It is a little hard to tell what is what exactly. It would take some experimentation to replicate exactly.

It is pretty hard to reverse engineer these things by ear, but it is a good exercise! It might help to take some samples and look at them on a spectrum analyzer to see the harmonic content. This would help to see what partials dominate, maybe better revealing the basic waveforms and the different pitches played together. The timbre of the higher part sounds familiar, seeming to be a popular waveform in EDM. I am not very experienced with that style though, so I don't know without some experimentation what it is exactly.

Just for fun, I gave it a try. My result is not quite the same. I synthesized everything manually, including drums. If I got close to what you want, I'd be happy to describe how I did any part of it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-260326741/c ... ry/s-Pr7P3

hey

In the analog world not every thing was perfect, al those great tips up here are used to recreate that imperfectness of the analog synth. I would like to at one tip, and that's to modulate your pitch of the oscillators at a very small amount but at a very fast rate. This also gives some width to the signal.

besides al those tips to make the digital synth sound more analog, you should also try using analog "imperfect" waves. The next website has a lot of them for free, and they sound amazing.

https://www.dancemidisamples.com/articl ... ue-synths/

Erianvh wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:08 pm hey

In the analog world not every thing was perfect, al those great tips up here are used to recreate that imperfectness of the analog synth. I would like to at one tip, and that's to modulate your pitch of the oscillators at a very small amount but at a very fast rate. This also gives some width to the signal.

besides al those tips to make the digital synth sound more analog, you should also try using analog "imperfect" waves. The next website has a lot of them for free, and they sound amazing.

https://www.dancemidisamples.com/articl ... ue-synths/
Thank you, i will try this))

Return to “Sound Design”