Acid Loops: Still relevant?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)

Are Acidized Loops important to you when buying a sample library?

yes
26%
no
74%

Total votes: 34

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think we need a distinction between acidized as in chunk 1 or with slice information, which Rex won. All I'm asking for is the chunk 1 metadata.

YellowMix is absolutely spot on in his analysis.

It is REALLY unfortunate that Recycle files, with it's proprietary format, has lasted this long, but we (the public) have only ourselves to blame. Recycle was First To Exist, and "REX" is easy to remember and a moniker. But there is no practical difference, at all, between Recycle and ACID and AppleLoops. They are all ONLY a piece of sound data with previously detected transient points embedded into the file, so any slice engine can play it - the magic being faster or slower without pitch change. But ACID and AppleLoops are OPEN formats, while REX is not.

In the normal world, Recycle would be history. For some reason, Recycle hangs on. My company has tried, tried, and tried over the last two decades to dissuade loop developers from releasing in Recycle, in order to shift the market properly. Unfortunately, most of them felt it too risky, so Recycle keeps living on, though it makes life tougher for just about everyone. Reason Corp (formerly Propellerhead) still refuses to make the REX file format open, and also does not make their slicing tool (Recycle itself) any better.

To the end user, every slice engine (well, except Reason itself) accepts ACID and AppleLoops as legitimate slice formats,a s well as Recycle. If you as a user want to make a change, just in your own Private Idaho, convert all your Recycle files to ACID or AppleLoops and use and buy them exclusively.

Thanks YellowMix for your great and timely information.
Garth Hjelte
Chicken Systems, Inc.
support@chickensys.com
http://www.chickensys.com

Thanks, Garth.

REAPER 6 can create sliced Acid and Apple Loops. It is done using stretch markers/transient guides, then render selected media items. The BWF lists REAPER as the originator, and for Acidized WAV, the second chunk contains the slice information. It is similar for AIFF. So from here on, Recycle can be abandoned more easily.

yellowmix wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:02 am Thanks, Garth.

REAPER 6 can create sliced Acid and Apple Loops. It is done using stretch markers/transient guides, then render selected media items. The BWF lists REAPER as the originator, and for Acidized WAV, the second chunk contains the slice information. It is similar for AIFF. So from here on, Recycle can be abandoned more easily.
That's really interesting! I'm going to take a look at Reaper 6 then, I use the older version and didn't see any reason to upgrade, until now. :tu:

I'd definitely use ACID Pro over REAPER for Loop Construction. It's just easier. The workflow is custom tailored for this type of work, and the support is 100% complete.

Wasn't ACID Pro 8 on HB for like $25, and I think AP9 was recently on sale for $19.99?

Also, if you do this for a living, then REAPER is $225, so not super cheap in the grand scheme of things ($60 License is for people who make a poverty wage with the software).

This is the only reason why I keep ACID Pro around.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

yellowmix wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:02 am Thanks, Garth.

I'm not sure you can. If I use ACID Pro to create a loop - say a little piano 2 bar phrase -using its chopper to create the slices and set the root key - when you look at the properties of that file imported into Reaper you get:

Beats number and Tempo
Slices number
Root Key

If you use Reaper to do it you can create or detect some transient markers, select the item - render selected item and tick to include transient markers, tempo, meta but when you import into Reaper you will only get (in item properties):

BPM
Slices Number.

Unless I am doing something wrong in Reaper?

But as someone who creates loops the 'key' thing for me is that the loops I make in ACID Pro stand up much better to tempo change and transposition. Whereas with the Reaper made ones, the artifacts appear very quickly when you move away from the origianal BPM and key.

And as a Reaper fan, I would much rather work in Reaper for the whole process, as I create the loops there. However I import my mastered loops into ACID to do the beat detection / transients - slices or whatever it is called in ACID - because they def sound better when pulled around.

Looking at some the properties of the loops I have purchased commercially - in Reaper they look like ACID Pro files to me because of the same info listed: Beats Number / BPM, Slices and Root info.

But I may have missed something...

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”