Staying organized

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Over a decade of making music with software (and guitars, bass, mics), and I’ve never really sat down to organize my 3rd party vst’s. As far as I’ve gotten is to have the browser (ableton) show two main folders; effects and instruments.
I’m thinking about getting more specific, specially inside the efx folder.

I’d love to see how others do it. How do you keep things organized to speed workflow? Sub folders with compressors, reverb, etc? Company names? Most used vs. really used?

Let’s see....
paz por esos mundos

Ableton Colections.png
That's what I did. "FX" stands for special effects, while "mix" is about specific tools to do the job.
Most used vs. really used?
I only put often used plugins and Ableton racks in these categories, so they're always at hand. Some rare M4L devices or 3rd-party sample packs would only clutter the view.
Company names?
Zodiac sign? Dick size? What does it matter?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:37 pm

Well.....
Depends who you ask.

So is the collections section on the browser a Ableton 10 thing?
paz por esos mundos

pascual wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:32 pm
DJ Warmonger wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:37 pm

Well.....
Depends who you ask.

So is the collections section on the browser a Ableton 10 thing?
Yes ableton 10, very handy. I like the cubase system better though, as it allows unlimited amounts of folders and even different folder configuration profiles.
As for company names, it's sometimes useful. I like to list all of my glitchmachines and melda plugs in their own folders.
Generally organizing by plugin type is best.

It can be done also in Cakewalk by BandLab, since the beginning.

And also in Mulab (since the very recent version 8.3.3). For that, you now click the cog-wheel above the list of plugins at the right side of the screen, then you open the new menu "Open VST plugin manager", and it will allow you to organize all your plugins in any categories that you can create with the button "Options" of that new feature.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

I liked how EnergyXT allowed me to categorize things in regular folders, which I could simply manage with any file manager.
I've been using Reaper for years now, but I miss that feature a lot.

REAPER lets you make custom folders. But rearranging them is annoying. So I use an external tool (the folders are saved as text but the numbering makes it hard to do it manually). https://jahudka.github.io/rearrangefx/

REAPER doesn't let you make sub-folders but I use a slash to emulate it and it's good enough.

I fine-grained where I need it.
FXFolders.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

one folder C/VST64

i dont have enough plugins that requires me to organise it more than that

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”