Available now: Tone2 Icarus2

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
7521 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:12 pm

fisherKing wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:58 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:34 pm
Hopefully a VST3 version is made one day. I haven't started using them, but everything will end up eventually going that way.
not in logic... :D ...
Yeah but apple users will have enough other compatibility issues to worry about. At least on PC we know things will keep working in future updates. 64bit was a big jump that won't likely need another update for the foreseeable future. Otherwise on PC we are pretty safe for future compatibility in general, except for the move to VST3. I could see a day perhaps when hosts stop supporting VST2, but it's a long way off I'm sure.On a mac, every OS update seem to create compatibility issues and require active developers to make updates to bring compatibility. I'm glad I'm out of that ecosystem personally.
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1. Bitwig 3.0, Steinberg UR44.

User avatar
fisherKing
KVRAF
2071 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Re: Coming soon: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:40 pm

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:12 pm
fisherKing wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:58 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:34 pm
Hopefully a VST3 version is made one day. I haven't started using them, but everything will end up eventually going that way.
not in logic... :D ...
Yeah but apple users will have enough other compatibility issues to worry about. At least on PC we know things will keep working in future updates. 64bit was a big jump that won't likely need another update for the foreseeable future. Otherwise on PC we are pretty safe for future compatibility in general, except for the move to VST3. I could see a day perhaps when hosts stop supporting VST2, but it's a long way off I'm sure.On a mac, every OS update seem to create compatibility issues and require active developers to make updates to bring compatibility. I'm glad I'm out of that ecosystem personally.
no problems on my macs; all my 3rd-party plugins (& i use mostly 3rd-party synths/effects) are working in catalina. so not sure what your point is... unless it's just another 'pc vs mac' thing, which is so tired...
https://upstatebrooklyn.com
always one plugin short of perfection...

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
7521 posts since 12 May, 2008

Re: Coming soon: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:08 pm

fisherKing wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:40 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:12 pm
fisherKing wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:58 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:34 pm
Hopefully a VST3 version is made one day. I haven't started using them, but everything will end up eventually going that way.
not in logic... :D ...
Yeah but apple users will have enough other compatibility issues to worry about. At least on PC we know things will keep working in future updates. 64bit was a big jump that won't likely need another update for the foreseeable future. Otherwise on PC we are pretty safe for future compatibility in general, except for the move to VST3. I could see a day perhaps when hosts stop supporting VST2, but it's a long way off I'm sure.On a mac, every OS update seem to create compatibility issues and require active developers to make updates to bring compatibility. I'm glad I'm out of that ecosystem personally.
no problems on my macs; all my 3rd-party plugins (& i use mostly 3rd-party synths/effects) are working in catalina. so not sure what your point is... unless it's just another 'pc vs mac' thing, which is so tired...
Not at all. Nothing against macs, they are great computers mostly. You just said that Logic won't be moving to VST3, obviously because it uses AU. And I said that Logic will have other compatibility issues with plugins eventually because Apple more often has updates requiring devs to ensure compatibility. Simple point really: While Logic needn't worry about the VST3 transition, it will have other things to deal with that PCs won't. Simple enough point, balancing your statement right? Don't get offended, I'm not bashing your precious apple computer, I was a long time user. I'm just happy not to have to worry about the surprise compatibility issues with OS updates. No need for Mac vs. PC I agree.
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1. Bitwig 3.0, Steinberg UR44.

User avatar
fisherKing
KVRAF
2071 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Re: Coming soon: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:49 pm

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:08 pm
fisherKing wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:40 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:12 pm
fisherKing wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:58 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:34 pm
Hopefully a VST3 version is made one day. I haven't started using them, but everything will end up eventually going that way.
not in logic... :D ...
Yeah but apple users will have enough other compatibility issues to worry about. At least on PC we know things will keep working in future updates. 64bit was a big jump that won't likely need another update for the foreseeable future. Otherwise on PC we are pretty safe for future compatibility in general, except for the move to VST3. I could see a day perhaps when hosts stop supporting VST2, but it's a long way off I'm sure.On a mac, every OS update seem to create compatibility issues and require active developers to make updates to bring compatibility. I'm glad I'm out of that ecosystem personally.
no problems on my macs; all my 3rd-party plugins (& i use mostly 3rd-party synths/effects) are working in catalina. so not sure what your point is... unless it's just another 'pc vs mac' thing, which is so tired...
Not at all. Nothing against macs, they are great computers mostly. You just said that Logic won't be moving to VST3, obviously because it uses AU. And I said that Logic will have other compatibility issues with plugins eventually because Apple more often has updates requiring devs to ensure compatibility. Simple point really: While Logic needn't worry about the VST3 transition, it will have other things to deal with that PCs won't. Simple enough point, balancing your statement right? Don't get offended, I'm not bashing your precious apple computer, I was a long time user. I'm just happy not to have to worry about the surprise compatibility issues with OS updates. No need for Mac vs. PC I agree.
ok, but, not having encountered 'surprise compatibility issues', am not sure what your point is. either way, we use the tools we choose, and (hopefully) get our work done. am enjoying logic, and my mac, and, for me... that's the whole point. am sure you're good with your choices as well :tu:
https://upstatebrooklyn.com
always one plugin short of perfection...

Markus Krause
KVRist
326 posts since 2 Jul, 2018

Re: Coming soon: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:55 am

sureno wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:52 pm
LOL I really thought it was just me but now I suppose as more users of updated software are finding the same issue I am I can no longer have sleepless nights lol
xmaster wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:08 pm
sureno wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:45 am
Thanks Marcus, I’m a beta tester for Ableton and the vst isn’t showing in their latest release, I will flag it with them too if that helps

So far I haven’t run into any other plugins (not Catalina compatible or otherwise) that have this issue, I have a vast array of plugins all running latest versions
Markus Krause wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:17 pm
have you already sent out upgrade e-mails to existing Icarus 1-customers? I haven't received anything yet.
Please note that the upgrade is free only for customers who bought it for the regular price till April 2019. You purchased it in August 2018. Check your email ;-)
----
@sureno:
I am further investigating this and will provide a free update if it should caused by our software.
So far it seems to be an incompatibility with software-norarisation + Ableton 10.1.5 + VST. I currently assume that Ableton requires an update. I assume that it affects also other plugins.
I recommend just using the AU version instead of the VST till the problem with Ableton 10.1.5 is fixed.
---
I would've expected the dynamic pitch resynthesis to make use of the new high-precision MSEG

This is something possible for a future update
Same here on 10.15.1 (Catalina) with Ableton Live 10.1.5 and Ableton Live 10.1.9b2.
Found a hint in one log file when I was opening a support ticket at Ableton:
error: Code signature verification failed for /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Synths/Icarus.vst with error -67023 (invalid resource directory (directory or signature have been modified))
I was able to fix it. Now it also works in Abtleton 10.1.5. It was caused by some missing .png files and the Software notarisation that was introduced with the recent Ableton version.

Fixes:
- The small and large GUI of the Mac VST version did not work
- Ableton 10.1.15 on the Mac did not detect the VST plugin

Download link:
https://www.tone2.com/update/Tone2_Icarus2_Mac.pkg

Best Regards,
Markus
Tone2 Audiosoftware https://www.tone2.com

Spitfire31
KVRAF
2901 posts since 18 May, 2003 from Sweden

Re: Coming soon: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:36 am

Thank you, Markus … that was quick! Appears and opens fine now as VST, Live 10.1.5, Mojave.
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

xmaster
KVRer
2 posts since 7 Dec, 2019

Re: Coming soon: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:55 am

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Awesome! Working on my system too now.
Thanks a million for this wonderful masterpiece!
Markus Krause wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:55 am

I was able to fix it. Now it also works in Abtleton 10.1.5. It was caused by some missing .png files and the Software notarisation that was introduced with the recent Ableton version.

Fixes:
- The small and large GUI of the Mac VST version did not work
- Ableton 10.1.15 on the Mac did not detect the VST plugin

Download link:
https://www.tone2.com/update/Tone2_Icarus2_Mac.pkg (https://www.tone2.com/update/Tone2_Icarus2_Mac.pkg)

Best Regards,
Markus

Hanz Meyzer
KVRian
1435 posts since 20 Oct, 2014

Re: Coming soon: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:07 am

Even more nice. Thanks, Markus.

User avatar
sureno
KVRian
1120 posts since 4 May, 2008 from West London Depot

Re: Coming soon: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:38 am

BIG THANKS @markus

randygo
KVRist
109 posts since 18 May, 2004

Re: Coming soon: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:39 am

Quick patch! Thanks, Markus.

perfumer
KVRian
603 posts since 4 Oct, 2018

Re: Coming soon: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:12 am

Markus Krause wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:55 am
- The small and large GUI
I have a question about sizes: I'm demoing on a monitor with 1600x900 resolution. The Normal and Large sizes are too big for that, and the Small (no keyboard) is a bit too small , looks cluttered and some text is hard to read (e.g. effects section, etc.).

How about introducing an option to further scale a chosen size up or down a bit? That wouldn't spoil the graphics much, and would be of great help by improving legibility.


Have to say I don't like the UI at all. The colors are mostly the same no matter which skin I choose (OK, I could change those by using a resource editor but the colors of the displays are off-limits - oops!), and the animated displays are so animated that with certain patches it's a bit ludicrous, frankly. We had this discussion at the beginning of beta stage, and yes, now it's even worse than version 1. Next to the static displays which look a bit cartoonish this whole thing packs a hard-hitting visual punch. Oh, and did I mention clutter?

perfumer
KVRian
603 posts since 4 Oct, 2018

Re: Coming soon: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:21 am

Oh, and did I mention dark grey text on black background?

FapFilter
KVRist
249 posts since 29 Oct, 2015

Re: Coming soon: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:48 am

I agree that the scaling options don't appear to be perfect yet. (I'm a huge fan of vector based GUIs :love: )
Luckily the size is great on my current 1080p screen.

Regarding the animations:
Massive X gets flack for not being animated enough, this now is supposed to be too animated.
Icarus is my only synth with ‘everything‘ animated (ok, the knob automation is actually not ;) ). Not that i suddenly want all my other synths to do the same now, but i like it on this one and i think it's actually useful.
Of course it's bad if you don't gel with an interface of a synth you actually really like otherwise. It's happening to me with Diva for example, but there's x-thousands of other users that disagree with me on this, so it's simply just me.
You can never please anyone.

I'd like to have a few less ‘unnecessary’ mouse clicks here and there though

mevla
KVRAF
2722 posts since 3 Nov, 2015

Re: Coming soon: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:48 am

I run Icarus 1, Ray Blaster and ElectraX on Linux (Xubuntu 18.04, wine staging, linvst) but Icarus 2 is unusable. It uses so much resources that even all by itself on a track, every sound has crackles and pops while the Bitwig CPU meter just jumps way up. I know, Linux is not supported, but that's not the question nor the observation. Icarus 2 as is is taking a lot of resources. If your productions are using 50+ tracks to start with, of mixed audio and synths, adding such a resource-intensive synth on top can fare well, but it's certainly not the best use of resources. I'd say that a large part of that is due to graphics. Gladiator, which I do not run, shows that all of its UI is updated more or less in one swoop. I'd say there's room for improvement with Icarus 2.

perfumer
KVRian
603 posts since 4 Oct, 2018

Re: Coming soon: Tone2 Icarus2

Post Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:52 am

FapFilter wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:48 am
Regarding the animations:
Massive X gets flack for not being animated enough, this now is supposed to be too animated.
But look, this is not a video game or something. Depending on the patch, things are moving so fast it's extreme! It's a visual drug ok, but combined with the other UI hiccups the effect is actually offputting.

Can't see this becoming the Serum killer by a nautical mile.

Return to “Instruments”