After market guitar hardware modifications

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I need to win the lottery so I can get more guitars and pimp my current stable. These days I always talk but never follow through with mods I want for my guitars.

What have you done and what are you thinking of doing?
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

For electrics - did a couple with this. Good value.
https://bassmusicianmagazine.com/2011/1 ... struments/
https://www.awesome-guitars.com/

'course pots and caps are low cost

For all - bone nuts, plus acoustics - saddles and pins

Supplier standard
https://www.stewmac.com/

I tend not to bother, although I put Texas Specials in my last Strat, and DiMarzio Twang Kings in my current Tele.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

tapper mike wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:22 pm I need to win the lottery so I can get more guitars and pimp my current stable.
or you could learn how to siphon power from neighbours, steal food and loo paper and soap and stuff from work.
i would advise dealing weed but you guys can buy it in shops now sorry.

im still pushing for my warlocksplorer to be built. other than that no real desire to mod stuff. mainly as i get halfway through things and get distracted.
Last edited by vurt on Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bridges on electrics, and pickups is where I have upgraded. Added locking tuners to my Strat, and swapped out pickguards on a few.

vurt wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:19 pm
i would advise dealing weed but you guys can buy it in shops now sorry.

The lines in Ann Arbor are backed up for a miles and sales are brisk
https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/20 ... emand.html

In January a store is going to open near me in Walled Lake. Still there is going to be a huge blackmarket as 87 percent of municipalites in Michigan don't want recreational marijuana stores in their neighborhoods. I haven't bought it since the early 80's I asked how much an ounce would cost and no one I know would tell me. I doubt If I could get solid connections to buyers or upper level dealers for revolving door sales.

I favor Tusq nuts and picks; bone is probably better but barbaric... and not as slippery? I almost always swap pickups (normally for some Duncans of vintage derivation) and magnets (favoring A3 and UOA5). Upgraded pots, caps, switches and alternate wiring schemes offer a ton of bang for the buck; highly recommended! I should probably spring for better tuners and bridges, though.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Acoustics
Metal bridge pins
Bone saddle and nut
Piezo (meh)

Electrics
No load tone pots
Treble bleed
Swap ceramic for Alnico, except EVH Wolfgang copy, upgraded to higher output ceramic 14.5k.
Upgrade to SD humbuckers and Tonerider single coils.
Push pull coil split and series/parallel switching.
Looking into partial split using a shunt resistor for weaker pickups.
Neck blend pot/switch for fake Tele sound along with coil split. 7 Way Strat.
Considered a brass block for FR tremolo.

I try to get more tonal options than the available, all with minimal modding.

Last edited by The Noodlist on Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral: Is boutique the new old?

Jafo wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:14 pm I favor Tusq nuts and picks;
I checked it out after reading your post, I was aware of Tusq, but never really researched it. Looks interesting.

Successfully managed to change strings on a number of occasions.

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:35 pm Successfully managed to change strings on a number of occasions.
:hihi:

Changing strings is a special ritual for me that can take several hours sometimes the entire day.
I'll remove the old strings clean the fretboard lubricate the nut if it's bone. Do a detailed cleaning and polishing. Put the new strings on and stretched and tuned fast fret followed by a a wipe down on the body and neck then I go onto the next guitar. When I'm all done with that phase of all my guitars. I'll start again with some fast fret, tuning, check intonation/action a final wipe down and back it goes to the stand or in the case.

I usually get carried away once I confirm the setup and have to play the guitar. Full Hollow bodies are often more fickle than FR equipped guitars. Even when it's a laminated top the top can bulge or sag. Some guitars can go years without a neck adjustment and some need neck adjustments every three months. At least now I only have seven guitars to deal with (8 in january)

:cry: im on my phone or youd be out of context! by now!

A previous owner added the Bigsby to my Schecter Tempest Extreme ... I added the chrome pick-up switch :hihi:

tcc_schecter_tempest_extreme.jpg

I swapped it for a tatty Opus 3 ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I recently put a new set of Rumplestiltskin pickups in my Fender FSR Telecaster. I'd had been putting it off for a year, but enough was enough. The wiring from the factory was pretty bad, so I replaced mostly everything with 22AWG cloth wiring + a 4 way switch. Surprisingly, the pots were CTS and not mini pots, so those stayed in. I'm glad I did it though because there's really nothing I want to change about it at this point.

Next projects will be a new nut for my Squier J Mascis and better sustain block for my Classic Vibe Strat. Once the holiday craziness is over I'll get to them. maybe. :hihi:

Return to “Guitars”