So all the major DAWs got significant update this year. Happy ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

As far as I know all the major DAWs got its update this year. Are you happy with the update with the DAW(s) you use?

I own couple of DAWs but found that Live 10 (my primary DAW) doesn't wow me enough even it got several updates this year but limited to Beta version. Anyone found that the updates in the beta releases got some nice features that help you smooth your work flow or etc ...?

Cubase 10.5, just upgrade from 50% off in summer and activated recently. I could see some features were borrow from S1 but I need to use it more to dig out those new features and functions.

I didn't upgrade Reason 10 to 11. If I do, I will upgrade it to suite cos I love the extra instruments and efxs. As it didn't offer any discount so I will save my money and wait for X'mas and see if there is any other synths/Effects suit my bills.

Cheers!
Cowby

Not Logic.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I'm happy with the updates to Live10 ... it does way more than I actually need already :)

Bombadil wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:49 pm Not Logic.
Maybe because the next one's a biggie :wink: 10.5, perhaps? Or straight to 11 (Time to dust off the Apple credit card). Then...to infinity, and beyond :hyper: :hyper:

Whatever the case, I've been saying since Winter NAMM 2019 that the next one will likely be a paid update.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Having said that, 10.4.8 has apparently dropped. Bug fixes, etc. Nothing big, but let's hope it squashes some annoying buggies.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

cowby wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:52 am...but found that Live 10 (my primary DAW) doesn't wow me enough even it got several updates this year but limited to Beta version...
10.1 and CV Tools pack were released this year and I wouldn't call them both modest - most DAWs would hold them back for paid upgrade.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Haven't activated Cubase since I don't have time to learn it right now. Not sure if I get stuck with the version I registered it at (10) or get upgraded to whatever the current version is when I activate it. But been keeping tabs on the general reaction to the .5 update which indicates it's not that substantial so I guess I'm not missing much.

Very happy with the REAPER update. It's mostly under the hood and the ramifications won't be seen for a while since people need to learn the theme system changes and build the themes, but there's a lot going on in terms of API updates and the script and extension ecosystem. As a user the biggest thing for me is being able to easily export slice data in WAV (fully "Acidized") and AIFF (Apple Loop compatible).

I've been holding off on buying Recycle since I oppose closed standard formats and now I have zero reason to do so. And now I don't need to lobby sample/loop devs to provide REX as long as they supply fully ACIDized samples or Apple Loops. This is good for everyone, not just REAPER users. Well, maybe it's bad for Reason Studios but it's not their only product.

antic604 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:33 pm
cowby wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:52 am...but found that Live 10 (my primary DAW) doesn't wow me enough even it got several updates this year but limited to Beta version...
10.1 and CV Tools pack were released this year and I wouldn't call them both modest - most DAWs would hold them back for paid upgrade.
Totally. I don't get why people are always sniping at Live. They constantly add free stuff completely free right the way through each versions lifetime. Great value imho.

ooops, I forgot this critical update on 10.1! But I didn't enjoy this "benefit" until I buy EuroRack or similar gears.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:38 pm
Totally. I don't get why people are always sniping at Live. They constantly add free stuff completely free right the way through each versions lifetime. Great value imho.
Probably because for example reaper got ARA2 and MPE within one major version? CV tool is significantly weak compared to them.

tooneba wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:30 am
Probably because for example reaper got ARA2 and MPE within one major version? CV tool is significantly weak compared to them.
That's a pretty narrow minded view, you know?

What if someone doesn't do vocals or play keyboard, but instead bases their production on modular system? For my money - although I got it for free - Bitwig's Grid added in 3.0 trumps any ARA/MPE stuff, although Bitwig has supported the latter already...

Sorry, I always gets confused and forget there's only one proper way of making music :dog:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Live 10.1 was a bigger update impact wise for me then the one I paid 299$ for
Those new Automation tools especially.
Absolutely changed my workflow. I love them so
Much I can’t believe I used to be without them. :hihi:

But yea that’s the whole thing with live
Because they stay on one version for 4-5 years every time and make great point updates during that span.
Updates might be pricier but it’s with the knowledge that your unlikely to be needing to pay for a new feature for the next few years.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

antic604 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:18 am

What if someone doesn't do vocals or play keyboard, but instead bases their production on modular system? For my money - although I got it for free - Bitwig's Grid added in 3.0 trumps any ARA/MPE stuff, although Bitwig has supported the latter already...

Sorry, I always gets confused and forget there's only one proper way of making music :dog:
Okay MPE definitely. My NUMBER ONE request for live to put in...but ARA...I mean it’s nice but Ableton isn't exactly that kinda program
Much more ableton users in my eyes are gonna have use for CV tools, given the deep love for live in the hardware synth communities, then ARA2. Ableton is Unapologetically an Electronic Music Composition Program rather then a Audio Recording and Editing one.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

antic604 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:18 am

I'm not narrowing the scenario. It's rather broader perspective. Which is the most requested feature in official forum? Which device is more affordable? The one costs $1200 at most for MPE or the one can cost five figures. This is the reason I called weak when compared. I'm not saying modular equipment user shouldn't have a new feature update.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”