So all the major DAWs got significant update this year. Happy ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tooneba wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:58 amWhich is the most requested feature in official forum?
Comping and VST3 support - the latter was added in 10.1
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:19 am
tooneba wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:58 amWhich is the most requested feature in official forum?
Now you added VST3 to the table to change the course. Nice.
tooneba wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:58 am
antic604 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:18 am
tooneba wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:30 am
thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:38 pm
antic604 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:33 pm
cowby wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:52 am...but found that Live 10 (my primary DAW) doesn't wow me enough even it got several updates this year but limited to Beta version...
10.1 and CV Tools pack were released this year and I wouldn't call them both modest - most DAWs would hold them back for paid upgrade.
Totally. I don't get why people are always sniping at Live. They constantly add free stuff completely free right the way through each versions lifetime. Great value imho.
Probably because for example reaper got ARA2 and MPE within one major version? CV tool is significantly weak compared to them.
That's a pretty narrow minded view, you know?

What if someone doesn't do vocals or play keyboard, but instead bases their production on modular system? For my money - although I got it for free - Bitwig's Grid added in 3.0 trumps any ARA/MPE stuff, although Bitwig has supported the latter already...

Sorry, I always gets confused and forget there's only one proper way of making music :dog:
I'm not narrowing the scenario. It's rather broader perspective. Which is the most requested feature in official forum? Which device is more affordable? The one costs $1200 at most for MPE or the one can cost five figures. This is the reason I called weak when compared. I'm not saying modular equipment user shouldn't have a new feature update.

tooneba wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:50 am
What 'course'?! We're talking about if 10.1 was a substantial release and it was IMO because it addressed one of the 2 most requested feature request of Ableton community. It was YOU who asked for which features are most requested :o

I'm sorry this doesn't fit to your narrative :D

And lastly - introducing ARA without any pitch-edit feature first doesn't make sense. ARA is just a platform for synchronising DAW and audio / pitch editing tool(s).
Music tech enthusiast

Live 10.1, Reaper 6, and DP 10.1 so yeah all DAWs I use got major updates. DP10.1 released today already steals the show though.

DP10 got Clips, 10.1 makes them super useful, the list of improvements in 10.1 is 5 pages long! :o A huge variety of things that were missing from DP improved. Clips is big for me, along with Chunks and the whole performance aspect of that, it's going to end up being my goto for live performance.

I've used Live for years, and 10.1 is great, Push 2 is super useful and the new plug ins are great. I'm just not a DJ, never was, never will be. I'm not saying Live is only for DJs but the performance aspect of Live is not geared around backing tracks and VSTi's that switch between songs to other VSTi's etc.

It's just interesting to look at how this has all panned out, I've wanted Live to become a full fledged DAW with all the odd little features and instead DP has become more like Live. :arrow:

The biggest improvements to me in Live and Reaper came from integration with Push, Möss is killing it with the Reaper script and Ableton has made Push 2 useful with 10.

cowby wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:52 amSo all the major DAWs got significant update this year. Happy ?
I can't believe I have to read something like that on this forum. :hihi:

Obviously, I'll only ever be happy when my DAW has all the features I will never need, but, which look good in a changelog. ;)

antic604 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:17 am
tooneba wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:50 am
What 'course'?! We're talking about if 10.1 was a substantial release and it was IMO because it addressed one of the 2 most requested feature request of Ableton community. It was YOU who asked for which features are most requested :o

I'm sorry this doesn't fit to your narrative :D

And lastly - introducing ARA without any pitch-edit feature first doesn't make sense. ARA is just a platform for synchronising DAW and audio / pitch editing tool(s).
You missed the part of bold texts in the previous quote which highlights the context. You changed the question from "Which is the most requested feature in official forum? " to "What is the most requested feature in official forum?" in your brain and gave that vst3 thing answer. That's fine but it just doesn't reflects the argument that CV tools doesn't impress some people or makes them think it deserves one major updates. It just feels weak for some.

Spencer Maddox wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:31 am Updates might be pricier but it’s with the knowledge that your unlikely to be needing to pay for a new feature for the next few years.
It felt painful at the time for sure but the free point release updates after the fact, definitely make up for it. I've learned my lesson and I'm saving a fiver a month now towards Live 11 :)
Always Read the Manual!

Bombadil wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:10 pm Having said that, 10.4.8 has apparently dropped. Bug fixes, etc. Nothing big, but let's hope it squashes some annoying buggies.
Yup! The last two updates have been bug-fixes. Definitely looking like they're not dropping any new features without us ponying up the spons :shrug:

I'm 'calling' EXS24mkIII - Mega-sampler, with a huge development injection from ex-Redmatica and ex-CamelAudio nouse. Perhaps it'll come with a complete, freshly sampled symphony orchestra :hyper:

tooneba wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:03 pmYou changed the question from "Which is the most requested feature in official forum? " to "What is the most requested feature in official forum?" in your brain and gave that vst3 thing answer.
Sorry, I'm obviously not a native English speaker. What's the difference between those two questions?
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:37 pm
tooneba wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:03 pmYou changed the question from "Which is the most requested feature in official forum? " to "What is the most requested feature in official forum?" in your brain and gave that vst3 thing answer.
Sorry, I'm obviously not a native English speaker. What's the difference between those two questions?
In terms of casual conversation, as engaged in on silly internet forums such as this one, there's no appreciable difference. I'm sure there are scholars out there in the world who have dedicated their life's work to defining a difference, but for all intents and purposes they're one and the same. It might be more grammatically correct to say "Which feature has been requested the most in the official forum?" but the rules in English are pretty loose and your average speaker should understand you all the same.

edit: I'm sure what tooneba's point is here, but in another thread he was speculating that Ableton might be employing Ponzi-like sales tactics based upon social-media stats, so go figure :party:
Always Read the Manual!

Are you really following the conversation? :neutral: We are talking about CV tool underwhelming for some people comparing to, for example, reapers's updates. And someone commented about the the prioritization of CV tool before the requested features which have been just implemented within a major version of the said software reaper. So I'm wondering why CV was prioritized before them, which are actually requested more or accessible. By the way, VST3 has been implemented for reaper in the same major version number.... So... the vst3 argument may not affect the impression.

tooneba wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:19 pm
Are you really following the conversation? :neutral: We are talking about CV tool underwhelming for some people comparing to, for example, reapers's updates.
No, YOU are talking about CV Tools as something you have no use for and hence find 10.1 subpar, even though it addressed one of the more long-standing top request of the community - VST3, not to mention stuff like proper support for VST sidechain compression (no need for ghost tracks), freezing with sidechaining included, exporting tracks with sends/return & master FX, user wavetables in Wavetable. All of those I've seen more demand for than your beloved ARA2.

So, what's the difference between those 2 questions, again?
Music tech enthusiast

PieBerger wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:49 pm edit: I'm sure what tooneba's point is here, but in another thread he was speculating that Ableton might be employing Ponzi-like sales tactics based upon social-media stats, so go figure :party:
Fancy ad-hominem argument there. Good job buddy

tooneba wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:25 pm
PieBerger wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:49 pm edit: I'm sure what tooneba's point is here, but in another thread he was speculating that Ableton might be employing Ponzi-like sales tactics based upon social-media stats, so go figure :party:
Nothing fancy about it and not meant to be a scathing indictment of your character. I'm simply point out to Artur, whom I also know from other forums outside of KVR, that your line of reasoning can be somewhat unorthodox, or gappy/jumpy to say the least.
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:33 pm
tooneba wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:25 pm
Nothing fancy about it and not meant to be a scathing indictment of your character. I'm simply point out to Artur, whom I also know from other forums outside of KVR, that your line of reasoning, edit: based upon evidence in another thread, can be somewhat unorthodox, or gappy/jumpy to say the least.
edit: although I can appreciate that it must feel like I'm on your case, so I'll leave you be.
Always Read the Manual!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”