FL Studio vs Bitwig

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Passing Bye wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:00 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:45 pm
Passing Bye wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:03 pm Sorry, but FL is the most over hyped DAW on the planet
Sorry, but in fact, it's the opposite - it's quite underestimated. I won't say underrated, because it often wins in the "Best DAW" polls. :)
It wins because that's what people over hyped and love, what they actually use, vocal bedroom majority, not some handful industry pro's, they of course discredit it with passion, but real world people around use it and love it, already said what I had, FL is the prime example of over hyped DAW based on true facts and history, but obviously passionate FL users aren't capable of being objective or comprehending that, so stop quoting me already, you have nothing, no arguments whatsoever, I get it, you don't agree, shocker.
Cool down. I am not into arguments anyway. Enjoy your favorite DAW. :tu:

Some people can’t comprehend nesting culture in FL environment. Channel in rack. Midi in pattern. Pattern in playlist. Time line in rack. Channel in mixer.....

Just move on to your safe space. Pick what you feel comfortable.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:32 pm Cool down. I am not into arguments anyway. Enjoy your favorite DAW. :tu:
I'm really not upset, I disagreed with another member and expressed my opinion, than you come along quoting me and expressing yours, than I responded to that, if you aren't into arguing or have any argument to bring to the table, than best thing to do is to keep your opinion for yourself or at least don't quote me if you decide to express it, pointless discussion, we are just wasting our time than.

All the best to you too :hug:

Passing Bye wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:39 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:32 pm Cool down. I am not into arguments anyway. Enjoy your favorite DAW. :tu:
I'm really not upset, I disagreed with another member and expressed my opinion, than you come along quoting me and expressing yours, than I responded to that, if you aren't into arguing or have any argument to bring to the table, than best thing to do is to keep your opinion for yourself or at least don't quote me if you decide to express it, pointless discussion, we are just wasting our time than.

Didn't mean to unsettle you. It was just a casual comment. :) All is well though, wish you the best as well. :hug:

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:58 am
Passing Bye wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:39 pm

Didn't mean to unsettle you. It was just a casual comment. :) All is well though, wish you the best as well. :hug:
:hug:

tooneba wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:41 pm Some people can’t comprehend nesting culture in FL environment. Channel in rack. Midi in pattern. Pattern in playlist. Time line in rack. Channel in mixer.....

Comprehending it and not liking the workflow are not mutually exclusive.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:04 am
tooneba wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:41 pm Some people can’t comprehend nesting culture in FL environment. Channel in rack. Midi in pattern. Pattern in playlist. Time line in rack. Channel in mixer.....

Comprehending it and not liking the workflow are not mutually exclusive.
I'm not talking about facebook. At least you can't "like" tools unless you comprehend it. 👍

Bitwig has really good modulation of plugins. also the clip recording area is great. FL has their performance mode but has yet to work it so we can record and perform at the same time. So really Bitwig a winner here. But it is also harder to learn at first. Because Im used to working in FL studio I feel like being drawn back to it but what Bitwig is offering even in their 8 track edition is powerful if you own an external synth.

But Fl is lifetime free updates and I feel if I wait long enough all these features will be there, but Um getting tired of waiting and may have to move on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2CwHWGS_10

is missing in Bitwig, in FL don't have to use the record button at all, u can impro more freely
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Depends on the audience. Check the billboard charts, FL Studio users dominating. Type is in making hip hop, dance, pop with FL vs Bitwig what do you see.

xbitz wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:00 pmin FL don't have to use the record button at all, u can impro more freely
This illustrates one of the issues I have with FL, but also with DAWs in general - they all seem to try and invent new words for describing the same shit! "Score log"?! Bitwig has their "Onsets" (for transients), S1 has "Transform to audio" (for bouncing), etc. and so on... You go through the menus and can't find the thing you're looking for, because it's called some obscure term.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

rmacattack wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:03 pm Depends on the audience. Check the billboard charts, FL Studio users dominating. Type is in making hip hop, dance, pop with FL vs Bitwig what do you see.
FL is on the market 20 years, whereas Bitwig only 5. Also FL is heavily pirated, whereas for Bitwig it's marginal. This topic is not about which one has more users, but which one is better. And no, I'm not saying Bitwig is better - it's very subjective. But if your criteria is Billboard charts then sure, FL wins hands down.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:04 am
xbitz wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:00 pmin FL don't have to use the record button at all, u can impro more freely
This illustrates one of the issues I have with FL, but also with DAWs in general - they all seem to try and invent new words for describing the same shit! "Score log"?! Bitwig has their "Onsets" (for transients), S1 has "Transform to audio" (for bouncing), etc. and so on... You go through the menus and can't find the thing you're looking for, because it's called some obscure term.
Nah... that´s a bit OTT...
Therefor it´s always good to know your tools no matter how they call something...

antic604 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:07 am
rmacattack wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:03 pm Depends on the audience. Check the billboard charts, FL Studio users dominating. Type is in making hip hop, dance, pop with FL vs Bitwig what do you see.
FL is on the market 20 years, whereas Bitwig only 5. Also FL is heavily pirated, whereas for Bitwig it's marginal. This topic is not about which one has more users, but which one is better. And no, I'm not saying Bitwig is better - it's very subjective. But if your criteria is Billboard charts then sure, FL wins hands down.
Counting the years is a bit misleading as FLS was most of the time coded by just one developer while Bitwig since the beginning by how many ??? 4 ??? In this comparison Bitwig is nearly 20 years old too :D ??
My biggest problems with Bitwig (and Reaper) is a quite poor maintenance... bugs and misbehaviour aren´t adressed since V1 and development is mostly single aim driven...
Bitwig i.e. is 90% it´s modulation system (which is outstanding) and most other parts fall short...

My problem with that is that this "highlight" works best with their native devices which are at best mediocre... especially the instruments...

There are tons of plugins with a much better sound and better/more features which are offering a similar modulation flexibility or even system...
Using these in Bitwig means what for are all these efforts (or waste of time) in a native modulation system while I miss so many other features...
This all makes just sense if you use mostly native devices... therefor they should be at least on Ableton level or better ... they are not!!

All this adding together there is still a long way for Bitwig to go... if you charge more than the big boys... you should be better than the big boys... atm Bitwig is mostly a bit of a niche product and cannot compete at all with the big boys on the market but are the most expensive ones (if you always want to stay up to date which is the case for most DAW users)...
... for me this doesn´t match...

Trancit wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:36 amAll this adding together there is still a long way for Bitwig to go... if you charge more than the big boys... you should be better than the big boys... atm Bitwig is mostly a bit of a niche product and cannot compete at all with the big boys on the market but are the most expensive ones (if you always want to stay up to date which is the case for most DAW users)... for me this doesn´t match...
But that's subjective, isn't it?

I'm willing to pay more for Bitwig than I am for Cubase or Studio One, because the things it does great and better than the rest are exactly the ones *I* require. I don't need comping, pitch edit / ARA, notation editor, expression maps, video support. I'd like for Bitwig to have them in eventually, but only because this would mean more users, more money and thus more development time for the things that *I* need and that somehow seem to align with Bitwig's devs ideas.

And that's why I always cringe when Bitwig is compared to "big boys" in a very biased way - it's always about what Bitwig misses, but never the other way around. And for me, who started with Live and quickly moved to Bitwig, I can't imagine working without clip launcher, without global modulation systems (yes, even for synths like PhasePlant!), without Instrument/FX/NoteFX Layers, without nesting, without hybrid tracks, without dedicated touch interface, etc.

If you're only using (or consider using) Bitwig just for few features you like, but the rest of them that are more impotant to you are elsewhere, then keep bothering that other dev to add them to your DAW of choice and stop complaining about Bitwig being "expensive" (on which I disagree, but that's a different discussion...). Either get in for the whole package and adjust, or ignore it.
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”