Monitors skipping during playback -- HELP!!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this. If not, please let me know!

I have a pair of KRK Rokit's and am using a PreSonus AudioBox USB 2x2 USB. Almost every time I play music, the speakers start skipping. Here is a link to a video I recorded:

https://vimeo.com/378840195

Does anyone have any suggestions on what's going on/how to fix it?

Thank you!

Are you sure its the monitors?

I would try raising the audio buffer size of the soundcard and see if that helps.

Thanks, but this occurs with any type of audio. For instance, playing something from spotify or youtube. No matte what, there are always these sounds

sprtan20 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:03 pm Thanks, but this occurs with any type of audio. For instance, playing something from spotify or youtube. No matte what, there are always these sounds
If you are using a soundcard, then all of your audio is going thru it. If the buffer is set too low you will get dropouts.

If you're sure its not the buffer, then next thing is to check cables and connections, including the usb cable connecting your soundcard.

After listening to your video, it sounds like some kind of electrical interference. Maybe coming from the video monitor ... or could be a ground loop. Is the laptop plugged into the mains? Does the glitching still happen if you run it on battery power?
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

usb cable would be my first check after buffer, as that does appear digital skipping rather than analogue drop out

Thank you for your help so far, I really appreciate it!

I'm 99% sure it's not the buffer size. Adjusting the cable seems to help the problem, so I'm leaning towards a connection issue. The clipping does occur without the monitor plugged in and also without the macbook connected to a power source.

This is the setup: Both of the KRK Rokits are plugged into the same power strip for power. They each have XLR to 1/4 jack and the 1/4 jack is plugged in the the LEFT and RIGHT outlets on the Audiobox. The audiobox is connected to the Macbook via USB. Knowing that, any other suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks again.
thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:21 pm
sprtan20 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:03 pm Thanks, but this occurs with any type of audio. For instance, playing something from spotify or youtube. No matte what, there are always these sounds
If you are using a soundcard, then all of your audio is going thru it. If the buffer is set too low you will get dropouts.

If you're sure its not the buffer, then next thing is to check cables and connections, including the usb cable connecting your soundcard.

After listening to your video, it sounds like some kind of electrical interference. Maybe coming from the video monitor ... or could be a ground loop. Is the laptop plugged into the mains? Does the glitching still happen if you run it on battery power?

vurt wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:26 pm usb cable would be my first check after buffer, as that does appear digital skipping rather than analogue drop out
What exactly do you mean by check the USB cable? Try using another?

yup.

yes, try changing all cables... process of elimination

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”