So all the major DAWs got significant update this year. Happy ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's funny because I agree that I'm not in line with the way tooneba has been asserting that the update and upgrade isn't that great but I get the sentiment. VST3, CV tools, Push 2 improvements, and even new built in plug ins are all things that don't really address every users concerns. I wasn't a huge fan of the update, but I think in the bigger picture I've started to realize Ableton's concerns are not my concerns.

antic604 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:24 pm
tooneba wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:19 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:37 pm
tooneba wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:03 pmYou changed the question from "Which is the most requested feature in official forum? " to "What is the most requested feature in official forum?" in your brain and gave that vst3 thing answer.
Sorry, I'm obviously not a native English speaker. What's the difference between those two questions?
Are you really following the conversation? :neutral: We are talking about CV tool underwhelming for some people comparing to, for example, reapers's updates.
No, YOU are talking about CV Tools as something you have no use for and hence find 10.1 subpar, even though it addressed one of the more long-standing top request of the community - VST3, not to mention stuff like proper support for VST sidechain compression (no need for ghost tracks), freezing with sidechaining included, exporting tracks with sends/return & master FX, user wavetables in Wavetable. All of those I've seen more demand for than your beloved ARA2.

So, what's the difference between those 2 questions, again?
Sorry I don't get where you can't understand. In the perspective of comparing to the reaper's 2 feature updates, I don't have any clue why you gave a reply with new example when asked which is the most requested or accessible for many people.

In the perspective of the whole features between reaper 5 and live 10, I think I can understand what you are trying to say.

tooneba wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:46 pmIn the perspective of comparing to the reaper 2 feature updates[/url], I don't have any clue why you gave a reply with new example when asked which is the most requested or accessible for many people.

In the perspective of the whole features between reaper 5 and live 10, I think I can understand what you are trying to say.
Look at the thread title - it says "this year". Why you bring Reaper v2? Every software's updates in its early life seem more exciting, because there's more stuff missing. That's a given. But OK. Looking at that other thread it's easy to see you have some axe to grind with Live, not to mention it's difficult for you to separate subjective and objective assesment of situation.

Fake edit: JUST NOW got an e-mail from Ableton would if I would recommend the software to others and what I'd like to see improved :D I'll ask for ARA2 and lets leave this be, ok? :hug:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:55 pm
tooneba wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:46 pmIn the perspective of comparing to the reaper 2 feature updates[/url], I don't have any clue why you gave a reply with new example when asked which is the most requested or accessible for many people.

Look at the thread title - it says "this year". Why you bring Reaper v2? Every software's updates in its early life seem more exciting, because there's more stuff missing. That's a given. But OK. Looking at that other thread it's easy to see you have some axe to grind with Live, not to mention it's difficult for you to separate subjective and objective assesment of situation.

Fake edit: JUST NOW got an e-mail from Ableton would if I would recommend the software to others and what I'd like to see improved :D I'll ask for ARA2 and lets leave this be, ok? :hug:
Not reaper v2. Reaper's 2 feature updates. In this context, they are ARA2 and MPE.

Yes: Both Live 10 and Logic Pro are working beautifully, with elegantly complementary feature-sets.

tooneba wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:03 pmYou changed the question from "Which is the most requested feature in official forum? " to "What is the most requested feature in official forum?" in your brain and gave that vst3 thing answer.
Sorry, I'm obviously not a native English speaker. What's the difference between those two questions?
I think the question was '' Which one was requested more; MPE or CV Tools?'' Not '' What is the most requested?''

andypryce wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:53 pm
I think the question was '' Which one was requested more; MPE or CV Tools?'' Not '' What is the most requested?''
that's right. it wasn't 100% obvious though, and op could have clarified in the very next post but instead chose to go on the attack until the confusion was eventually sorted out.

back on topic i'd wager mpe is probably slightly more requested than cv, but probably harder to implement. both features i think are important to a daw that calls itself "live" . much more so than something like ara.

knowing ableton, they will get there.....eventually 8)

Digital Performer got a great .1 update. Especially on midi area.

zoidkirb wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:08 pm
andypryce wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:53 pm
that's right. it wasn't 100% obvious though, and op could have clarified in the very next post but instead chose to go on the attack until the confusion was eventually sorted out.

back on topic i'd wager mpe is probably slightly more requested than cv, but probably harder to implement. both features i think are important to a daw that calls itself "live" . much more so than something like ara.

knowing ableton, they will get there.....eventually 8)
My guess is that MPE will be implemented in Live with the announcement or release of Push 3, whenever that may be. There's a lot of support for it on the Beta program, but I don't know that it's necessarily representative of and therefore useful to, a large enough portion of the Live user base to warrant implementing it, especially as it may negatively impact Push 2 sales. In my opinion it would make more sense for Ableton to launch Push 3 with MPE support in Live and able to compete with existing products on the market, as far as new sales go, while also support existing customers who have already invested in any of the products currently available in the market place.
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:02 amMy guess is that MPE will be implemented in Live with the announcement or release of Push 3, whenever that may be. There's a lot of support for it on the Beta program, but I don't know that it's necessarily representative of and therefore useful to, a large enough portion of the Live user base to warrant implementing it, especially as it may negatively impact Push 2 sales. In my opinion it would make more sense for Ableton to launch Push 3 with MPE support in Live and able to compete with existing products on the market, as far as new sales go, while also support existing customers who have already invested in any of the products currently available in the market place.
That's an interesting thought, but how would a Push-like device work with MPE? It already has velocity and aftertouch, not sure about release velocity (probably not as the pads have to shallow travel). For MPE to work you need an actual piano keyboard, so that you can make slides and stuff, I think?

My guess is that Push3 will go into the direction of Akai Force (with Live built-in), have 8-10'' touch screen, small LED screens for pads, maybe another row of encoders / sliders.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:14 am
PieBerger wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:02 amMy guess is that MPE will be implemented in Live with the announcement or release of Push 3, whenever that may be. There's a lot of support for it on the Beta program, but I don't know that it's necessarily representative of and therefore useful to, a large enough portion of the Live user base to warrant implementing it, especially as it may negatively impact Push 2 sales. In my opinion it would make more sense for Ableton to launch Push 3 with MPE support in Live and able to compete with existing products on the market, as far as new sales go, while also support existing customers who have already invested in any of the products currently available in the market place.
That's an interesting thought, but how would a Push-like device work with MPE? It already has velocity and aftertouch, not sure about release velocity (probably not as the pads have to shallow travel). For MPE to work you need an actual piano keyboard, so that you can make slides and stuff, I think?

My guess is that Push3 will go into the direction of Akai Force (with Live built-in), have 8-10'' touch screen, small LED screens for pads, maybe another row of encoders / sliders.
The LinnStrument is a grid-based (as opposed to piano style controller, so my guess is that they'd adopt this to the existing 64 pad Push layout. Just a guess though :)
Always Read the Manual!

I’m never happy. A DAW update doesn’t change that...

Yes, I am happy with this year's DAW updates: Renoise 3.21 runs again like hell, Bitwig gets a faster and faster GUI, and is always instant-amazing me, when I open it.

ozinga wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:17 am Digital Performer got a great .1 update. Especially on midi area.
Tons of usability improvements as well, GUI workflow etc. 5 pages of improvements and over 6 pages of fixes.

I own too many DAWs, and DP stands out as the one with a ton of power, but a total lack of buzz. I reach for it by far more than Reaper, Logic, Live, Reason, MPC2 etc. etc.

IMO DP 10.1 is a real contender live performance wise. Compared to switching projects like Bitwig and Live, Chunk chaining to switch songs is just better. It's funny, I end up defending DP a lot because it really feels like the red headed step child of the DAW world. :lol:

Have been happy before, but happy that i've been given the final reason at last to pay Cockos what they long deserved
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”