FL Studio vs Bitwig

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:01 am
Trancit wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:36 amAll this adding together there is still a long way for Bitwig to go... if you charge more than the big boys... you should be better than the big boys... atm Bitwig is mostly a bit of a niche product and cannot compete at all with the big boys on the market but are the most expensive ones (if you always want to stay up to date which is the case for most DAW users)... for me this doesn´t match...
But that's subjective, isn't it?

That´s the reason why I mostly wrote... "my problem" or "for me"... 8)

Nevertheless: If you heavily rely on a native device system the native device should be better imho!!

Trancit wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:36 am My biggest problems with Bitwig (and Reaper) is a quite poor maintenance... bugs and misbehaviour aren´t adressed since V1 and development is mostly single aim driven...
Bitwig i.e. is 90% it´s modulation system (which is outstanding) and most other parts fall short...

My problem with that is that this "highlight" works best with their native devices which are at best mediocre... especially the instruments...

There are tons of plugins with a much better sound and better/more features which are offering a similar modulation flexibility or even system...
Bitwig’s Sampler is very good. Solid multi-sample functionality and both granular and wavetable capability.

Phase-4 is a solid synth that is as good as many VST’s.

The Grid has both the Phase-4 Osc and the entire Sampler functionality (minus filter, env’s etc) as modules.

There is no software modular that is as easy and fast to use as the Grid. It is multi-core capable so I can get many voices played in realtime, even with unison voice stacking.

All the Bitwig instruments are fully MPE capable. They all have the voice stacking and the ability to set any parameter of any of the stacked voices to any value. Bitwig’s modulation can be per voice for native synths. No other DAW has that.

The Bitwig Delays are excellent. You can put any device or chain of devices in the feedback path, including vst’s. That makes them exceptionally versatile... more so that just about any 3rd party plugin.

The Bitwig devices have lots of functionality that you don’t find anywhere else.

Oh, and there have been many hundreds of bugs fixed and lots of refinements of the core functionality added.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:52 am
Bitwig’s Sampler is very good. Solid multi-sample functionality and both granular and wavetable capability.
Agreed except some points which I don´t like in Bitwig in general...
i.e. how on earth does one get the idea to scale a 127 step range of sample selector in a 0-100% range??
This is exactly the type of misbehaviour I just don´t get... and this reflects in too many parts of Bitwig and just causes trouble and tons of workarounds...
I can understand something like this in older DAWs but I cannot accept this in a newly build one which should have learned from the mistakes of others...
Phase-4 is a solid synth that is as good as many VST’s.
Meh... from all nerd synthesis methods is phase distortion one of the "nerdiest" for me
Very hard to get a meaningful tone out of that...
The Grid has both the Phase-4 Osc and the entire Sampler functionality (minus filter, env’s etc) as modules.
The grid is not bad even if I find that:
1. the general 4x oversampling makes it a bit hard to handle on CPU
2. I don´t like the concept of the oscillators especially the swarm at all... the lack of having multiple/userdefined unison respectively that this kind of multisaw implementation in the swarm is bullsh*t should be aware every developer since Propellerhead relased Thor...
3. The lack of containers makes it quite hard to keep oversight... without a 4k screen it´s the scroll party of the century
All the Bitwig instruments are fully MPE capable.

Perhaps a benefit for some... I find MPE highly overrated...
They all have the voice stacking and the ability to set any parameter of any of the stacked voices to any value.
Can sometimes be a nice gimmick but I vastly prefer dedicated instruments (with better features and sound) which offer this as an addon too...leaving wasted CPU alone...
Bitwig’s modulation can be per voice for native synths. No other DAW has that.
1. But many plugins!! often even better!!
2. I find it a big oversight that as a self crowned Modulation DAW, Bitwig has no native way to do modulations across devices/tracks/the whole DAW... no way without many workarounds
3. No editable LFO´s, no MSEG... there are many 3rd party solutions miles ahead
The Bitwig Delays are excellent. You can put any device or chain of devices in the feedback path, including vst’s. That makes them exceptionally versatile... more so that just about any 3rd party plugin.
This is for me the only more or less unique feature of Bitwigs devices...fx nesting... nice idea...
Downside is that it´s indispensable as their native devices sound shit without any further processing what means for me instead of loading a plugin which sounds good out of the box I have to dive into it and have to try to make it sound good... not what I am looking for...

Biggest downside on the Delay´s: no native pingpong mode... I use 95% pingpong delays and Bitwig doesn´t offer any native solution... either I have have to accept Delay-2´s LRC result or I have to waste the double CPU on Delay-4 which even if I just use line 1 and 2 the other 2 lines are processed anyway, which makes quite a difference in the CPU load for projects where I use a lot of delays
The Bitwig devices have lots of functionality that you don’t find anywhere else.
Perhaps while for me it´s hard to find... at the very end and compared to it´s biggest competitor which is Ableton and with the examples of the Delays: they are simply not defined enough ...

Too much workarounds to get a useful result or they sound simply shitty...

- Amp is for me a joke as well as the normal distortion
- Reverb is simply one of the worst reverbs I ever have played with
- No clean LP4 filter in the whole FX range ... 5 or 6 times the same analog modeled one and no clean digital one is for me a big joke too especially for a normal stock EQ
- ... just to name a few
Oh, and there have been many hundreds of bugs fixed and lots of refinements of the core functionality added.
Sadly not the ones affecting me...

Don´t get me wrong... Bitwig as an idea would be a great DAW but the current reality doesn´t blow me away... too many little mistakes for me which I don´t like when working with... beginning with idotic scaling of parameters over hardly being able to change the track height of individual tracks up to silly bugs like this f*cking click sound after soloing tracks, many graphical glitches etc...etc...

Other DAWs have bugs too but Bitwig one´s affect directly my workflow and how does one say:
Constant dripping wears the rock away!! 8)

It’s easy to make a good sound in Phase-4

And I rarely need to scroll at all in the Grid.

I think you are trying to find ways to complain about everything (and sometimes having to try really hard) and in that sense not making as honest assessment.

I have no interest to spend my time further refuting some of the absurd claims... Waste of time

pdxindy wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:31 pm It’s easy to make a good sound in Phase-4

And I rarely need to scroll at all in the Grid.

I think you are trying to find ways to complain about everything (and sometimes having to try really hard) and in that sense not making as honest assessment.

I have no interest to spend my time further refuting some of the absurd claims... Waste of time
Sorry that you don´t like my opinion on Bitwig... I was not trying to find ways, just telling my experiences...

Bitwig - Yay!, Frooty Loops - meh..

My opinion, who cares..

I'm pretty sure the OP who was asking the question bought Bitwig, so the FL Vs Bitwig battle went to Bitwig, so we can close the thread now :wink:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”