So all the major DAWs got significant update this year. Happy ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

PieBerger wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:02 am In my opinion it would make more sense for Ableton to launch Push 3 with MPE support in Live and able to compete with existing products on the market, as far as new sales go, while also support existing customers who have already invested in any of the products currently available in the market place.
Would be better for me if they implement it and update PUSH2 to work with MPE ... I'm really not keen on buying any more hardware from them.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:45 pm
PieBerger wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:02 am In my opinion it would make more sense for Ableton to launch Push 3 with MPE support in Live and able to compete with existing products on the market, as far as new sales go, while also support existing customers who have already invested in any of the products currently available in the market place.
Would be better for me if they implement it and update PUSH2 to work with MPE ... I'm really not keen on buying any more hardware from them.
Yeah I just don't see them doing an MPE version of Push. The only way it would work is some sort of Lighted block, original Lemur type device, which wouldn't be that satisfying to play drum pad wise.
Basically I think Ableton realize it's a bit of a corner they're backed into with MPE support, Push2 would be sort of OK MPE wise, but Roli and Linn instruments would be better choices. So why reinvent your DAW MIDI wise, spend the reported unholy amount of hours recoding it for MPE support just to take sales away from Push 2?
I think they will eventually get MPE support, but I would bet on more the possibility of Ableton doing a modular type of approach to hardware next. Max/MSP is well known for working with all sorts of MIDI gear to map movement, video etc. etc. I wouldn't be surprised if Ableton started putting out dedicated hardware for working with Max and live.

machinesworking wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:12 pmSo why reinvent your DAW MIDI wise, spend the reported unholy amount of hours recoding it for MPE support just to take sales away from Push 2?
How would adding MPE take away from the sales of Push2?

People not interested in it (read: that can't play shit if their lives depended on it, like me) wouldn't use it and stick to their Push2. Others that really NEED it would use it with Roli or other products, possibly even increasing sales of Live (and Push2) because they were avoiding it until then.

What can only threaten sales of Push2 is an inevitable announcement of Push3, but I'm quite sure it's gonna sell like hot cakes. And I wouldn't be surprised if it's soon, too - they've been looking for hardware & firmware people few months ago, so I'd say the concept is done and they're pretty advanced in actual prototyping stage, or maybe even pre-production.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:12 am
machinesworking wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:12 pmSo why reinvent your DAW MIDI wise, spend the reported unholy amount of hours recoding it for MPE support just to take sales away from Push 2?
How would adding MPE take away from the sales of Push2?

People not interested in it (read: that can't play shit if their lives depended on it, like me) wouldn't use it and stick to their Push2. Others that really NEED it would use it with Roli or other products, possibly even increasing sales of Live (and Push2) because they were avoiding it until then.

What can only threaten sales of Push2 is an inevitable announcement of Push3, but I'm quite sure it's gonna sell like hot cakes. And I wouldn't be surprised if it's soon, too - they've been looking for hardware & firmware people few months ago, so I'd say the concept is done and they're pretty advanced in actual prototyping stage, or maybe even pre-production.
Uhmm? because most people can play an instrument that play around with DAWs?

It doesn't make sense to implement something that takes huge man hours that your own plug ins and hardware can't use either. I think Massive and Reaktor by default are the only MPE compatible plug ins NI have out now for instance. They sell non MPE MIDI keyboards etc. You can see this pattern with Arturia too, Pigments is the true MPE synth they make, their hardware isn't MPE compatible.

As it stands you can of course use MPE in Live, there's a script which makes it fairly trivial. Although it would be better to have it native, MPE isn't really the kind of playing that's designed for editing afterwards, kind of defeats it's point.

IMO again, I'm betting on some more standardized Max hardware controllers, maybe one that allows MPE compatability. This IMO is an obvious direction for them to go in, get people buying into their ecosystem. They've always took an Apple style approach to their product, and it's paid off, they're wildly successful. When they started it was Cubase, Pro Tools, Logic, and Digital Performer, (Sonar catapulted Cakewalk up at that point too), now it's Cubase, Pro Tools, Logic, and Live. Everyone else is a distant second or third place.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”