Sytrus
42%
Harmor
58%

Total votes: 45

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Correction: $119 marked down to $69.
In cart price makes it almost 50% but not quite @ $62.
And they do have 50% sales which get further attention from JRR.
Also signed into blowout page and there was only a few cents difference.
Better to wait, considering it's status.

Ok, checked the demo and Harmor is jawdropping. Sytrus not so much. My mind is made :)

Thanks to everyone contributing! :tu: :hug:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Harmor is a good and solid machine. Enjoy!

antic604 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:38 pm Ok, checked the demo and Harmor is jawdropping. Sytrus not so much. My mind is made :)

Thanks to everyone contributing! :tu: :hug:
Harmor is jawdropping for sure. But Sytrus is bread and butter and beyond.

They both fill different niches. They can't be compared, as like, anyway.

And keep in mind that Sytrus will do many sounds that fit in to a mix where as Harmor leads a bit too much. It's fat and fancy and what you need sometimes. Sytrus provides sounds you need most the time.

They are both a great compliment to each other, but if I was absolutely forced to pick one I would get Sytrus, hands down. It just does what you want to do 90 percent of the time.

It's a close call though as Harmor is also a stand out instrument.

Harmor is jawdropping for sure. But Sytrus is bread and butter and beyond.
+1

Harmor is an unique beast, but it's also very difficult to program. It will take a lot of time to get where you want.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I like Harmor more + it can do resynthesis

I never tried Sytrus but I think it's a very old synth, isn't it? Is the sound quality is on par with something like Dexed?

Anyway, for most FM sounds used in psytrance you don't actually need an FM synth, these sounds are made by FMing/PMing a saw or a more complex waveform from another oscillator, mostly triangle, saw or sine. Wavetable/subtractive synths with oscillator cross-modulation, like Serum, Massive X, Viper or Dune3, would give you a much easier way to make such sounds than a "true" FM synth (in Dune3 you will be using an oscillator as a mod source for another oscillator at the audio rate rather than an FM osc).

I've owned Harmor for some time and some of its presets do sound awesome but I'm still pretty clueless about programming it. I guess it's no rocket sciense and SeamlessR has good series of tutorials, but it just feels very uninviting and counter-intuitive. I do use it sometimes just because I have it (mostly modify the presets in some random ways) but most of the time I keep forgetting that I have it.

If that matters I also make psytrance
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:35 am I never tried Sytrus but I think it's a very old synth, isn't it? Is the sound quality is on par with something like Dexed?

Anyway, for most FM sounds used in psytrance you don't actually need an FM synth, these sounds are made by FMing/PMing a saw or a more complex waveform from another oscillator, mostly triangle, saw or sine. Wavetable/subtractive synths with oscillator cross-modulation, like Serum, Massive X, Viper or Dune3, would give you a much easier way to make such sounds than a "true" FM synth (in Dune3 you will be using an oscillator as a mod source for another oscillator at the audio rate rather than an FM osc).

I've owned Harmor for some time and some of its presets do sound awesome but I'm still pretty clueless about programming it. I guess it's no rocket sciense and SeamlessR has good series of tutorials, but it just feels very uninviting and counter-intuitive. I do use it sometimes just because I have it (mostly modify the presets in some random ways) but most of the time I keep forgetting that I have it.

If that matters I also make psytrance
It depends what quality is to you. For me the quality is fine on Sytrus, surprisingly it can even do the same sounds as Monark does and you can even find patches if you google.

I only dont like the whole structure and routing and layout of the synth. It just feels weird no matter how many tutorials i have watched.

Harmor is quite hands on if you stick it in your head that its not a subtractive synthesizer but has some sort of coating. With a bit of learning curve its quite a powerfull and awesome sounding synth. I used to used it sooo much 5-6 years ago. Now only occasionaly presets i have made already or for FX sounds because FL Studio polyhonic slides and glides automation per note.

codec_spurt wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:18 am Image
I actually ended up getting both :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:31 am I actually ended up getting both :D
Wise choice... you will not need another synth for years :tu: ! Both are extremely deep but completely take different approaches

Harmor has a lot of tutorial videos.

antic604 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:19 pmFor context, I already have few FM synths (FM8, FM4 and PX7 in Reason, FM-4 and Operator in Bitwig and Live) and few additive ones (Razor, Loom, Parsec and Spectra in Reason). The music I make is - mostly - psychedelic trance.

Help! :help:
If you’ve already got all those FM synths, I vote Harmor. They’re both good, and I own them both, but once you have FM8, you’ve already got a pretty kick ass FM synth.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I've had Sytrus for years (10? 15? is that possible?) and I'll forget about it and then get back to working it, somehow, into a track. The preset list is extensive and impressive. The sound is great, and as someone already pointed out, very easy on the CPU. What always surprises me is that it holds up so well after all these years.
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Both of them, you will no regret
12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

Return to “Instruments”