Do you listen to synthesizers anymore?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic

Do you listen to synthesizer music?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:58 am

I am still interested in hearing someone play a synthesizer.
61%
I mainly listen to samples fed through effects to a beat.
7%
I'm just hear for the drugs and sex.
11%
fish.
20%

Total votes: 54

RELATED
PRODUCTS

It is just me or is pretty much every single thread on KVR getting derailed to Off Topic. Might as well start consolidating forum sections into one big Off Topic section.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Sorry. My bad. Back to music.

Disclaimer: the special fx may be confusing:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QEQkIEkxm7k

telecode wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:32 pm It is just me or is pretty much every single thread on KVR getting derailed to Off Topic. Might as well start consolidating forum sections into one big Off Topic section.
cant blame me for once, ive been posting examples of "synthesiser music" :shrug:

A little bit of off topic occurs everywhere, and it’s always been that way.

Just needs to not have HPC material posted outside of that forum.

I'm listening to synthesizers now. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN1Wz9qb-Dk

Dasheesh wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:58 am I'm not here to judge. I'm trying to decide if I made a synthesizer album, if anyone would be interested still, so answer without shame. I won't be judgmental.
You're on KvR. Who here doesn't like synths? :scared:

I know, some people are specifically only into 70s anti-disco jock rock, or 1700s European chamber music, or bluegrass, or five specific jazz artists but not Miles Davis after 1968. But do you think they'd be into anything you (or any of us) did? :)

Even for us, "does this album have synthesizer on it?" is no guarantee that something will, or won't, be interesting or enjoyable. Damn near everything has a synth on it somewhere, but 90% of everything is crap.

I admit, I might be curious about an album if I hear it's 100% Buchla, or Ciat-Lombarde, or a noise/drone album using only a DX-7... but you could also say that about taiko or hurdy-gurdy or fretless bass. It's absolutely no guarantee I'm going to like the music though.

Forgotten wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:50 pm A little bit of off topic occurs everywhere, and it’s always been that way.

Just needs to not have HPC material posted outside of that forum.
not on other forums like Steinberg or NI. posts are on topic 90% of the time. the odd occasional goof goes on to post stupid useless stuff, but its a pretty well run self policed communites.

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

If you say so. :shrug:

foosnark wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:07 pm
Dasheesh wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:58 am I'm not here to judge. I'm trying to decide if I made a synthesizer album, if anyone would be interested still, so answer without shame. I won't be judgmental.
You're on KvR. Who here doesn't like synths? :scared:

I know, some people are specifically only into 70s anti-disco jock rock, or 1700s European chamber music, or bluegrass, or five specific jazz artists but not Miles Davis after 1968. But do you think they'd be into anything you (or any of us) did? :)

Even for us, "does this album have synthesizer on it?" is no guarantee that something will, or won't, be interesting or enjoyable. Damn near everything has a synth on it somewhere, but 90% of everything is crap.

I admit, I might be curious about an album if I hear it's 100% Buchla, or Ciat-Lombarde, or a noise/drone album using only a DX-7... but you could also say that about taiko or hurdy-gurdy or fretless bass. It's absolutely no guarantee I'm going to like the music though.
drone music which pushes the capabilities of some heavier VSTs would be interesting. I'd also totally dig a release which did very quirky rhythms and beats with arps. :tu:

telecode wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:34 pm
Forgotten wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:50 pm A little bit of off topic occurs everywhere, and it’s always been that way.
not on other forums like Steinberg or NI. posts are on topic 90% of the time. the odd occasional goof goes on to post stupid useless stuff, but its a pretty well run self policed communites.
Is this post pertinent to the topic?

Absolutely! But there is (in my opinion) not so much "pure" synthesizer music. Much is also for commercial reasons a mixture of synth with acoustic instruments or vocals.
The last "pure" synth album I heard was by Thorsten Quaeschning/Ulrich Schnauss "Synthwaves" and by Jarre "Equinoxe Infinity".

BONES wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:34 am
fese wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:57 amI never listened to “synthesizer music”. Most of it feels cold and lifeless to me
Then you're not doing it right. My synth music has way more life (and death) than most rock music. The life I can put into a bassline, for example, exceeds anything you'll hear from any rock band's bass player or from an orchestra or even a jazz bassist. It's actually why I love so much synth based music.
I guess we have very much different tastes there... :wink:

I am not sure I see how that follows but it is likely, in any event.
Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:04 pmI can’t speak for everybody but my eyes are separate to my ears. True they’re connected via the brain but they are able to perform two independent functions. That could just be me though.
I'm not sure I see (or hear) your point. Or maybe you just didn't understand mine?
DJ Warmonger wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:14 pm
Who would talk about a concert and not mention the music?
..but then, what do you refer to? ;)
You need to read the thread in context, clearly.
I've been to a few modular / live acts - not my thing. Synths need careful mixing to sound right. It's always like "hey, I could do better in my studio".
You would hope you could do better in your studio, that's pretty much what studios are about. A live performance should be about more than just the music, though, it should offer something that listening to the music alone doesn't. Maybe that the boring, technical aspect of what's happening but, for me and I imagine 99.99% of punters, it's about putting on a show, creating an actual performance. OK, that's not always easy, especially for instrumental music, but that just goes back to what I was saying before about what makes a song.
excuse me please wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:36 pmDoubt it.
I'm not hearing any synths on this song, just organ. No velocity sensitivity, no aftertouch, no mod wheel or pitch bend. I am thinking more of basslines like this one -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JeU34BqZm0
telecode wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:32 pmIt is just me or is pretty much every single thread on KVR getting derailed to Off Topic. Might as well start consolidating forum sections into one big Off Topic section.
I don't see a problem, it all adds to the colour of the place and it often gives you an interesting insight into those doing it.
telecode wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:34 pmnot on other forums like Steinberg or NI. posts are on topic 90% of the time. the odd occasional goof goes on to post stupid useless stuff, but its a pretty well run self policed communites.
And very sterile and boring as a result, the kind of place you only go when you need something (and aren't in a particularly big hurry to get it). That's why we are here and not over there.
foosnark wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:07 pmI admit, I might be curious about an album if I hear it's 100% Buchla, or Ciat-Lombarde, or a noise/drone album using only a DX-7...
I'd be the opposite, as it would indicate someone who is more interested in the process than the result. We used to list the instruments used on our first couple of albums but that was more about promoting the tools we love than anything else.
4damind wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:34 pmAbsolutely! But there is (in my opinion) not so much "pure" synthesizer music. Much is also for commercial reasons a mixture of synth with acoustic instruments or vocals.
That's because music without vocals is dead boring, which I suppose is why you've put someone's voice into Wireless Life. BTW, your music is very good but feels like it's stuck in the 1970s, a time before expression was possible with synths. But the production and everything else is very impressive.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”