can you change the key of a specific chord?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Stamped Records wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:09 am Hint, guitar is useful for learning a bit about voicing if you transfer the voicing of common guitar chords to keyboard. I'd recommend to anybody starting out, to get a cheap guitar and learn some chords.

Also, once you are playing a chord on a guitar, try playing the notes of the chord individually. People can disagree all they want but this is a nice introduction to melody and it's far easier than the same exercise on a keyboard.
While you’re at it, you might as well start to sing when playing chords. Don’t really think it matters wether it’s on guitar or keyboard, and you don’t have to be a great singer to begin with, just experimenting singing melodies over chords you play gives you direct feedback what sounds good to you.
All my best melodies came from singing while playing around which chord changes on guitar.

Agreed, big time

Yet OP is still looking to pull MIDI off the net instead and even pay for it. :shrug:

Or if you really don’t like to sing, play a melody on the piano and figure out how to accompany yourself with chords - it really helps you figure out how to use borrowed chords, secondary chords, etc. when you encounter chromatic notes outside of the key you think you’re working in.

I am of the view ya has ta get over not liking to sing. You can’t have less of a voice than I.
Let your body in on it amap

For sure - I think it took me until my early 30s to get really used to it, but will sing anywhere, any time now. I was just thinking of piano as an alternative as I think it’s a good way to visually check the notes if you’re not good at recognizing intervals in real time.

All good though, and a lot better than relying on a piece of software to make all your compositional decisions for you...

Interval recognition is everything

Forgotten wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:20 pm
excuse me please wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:09 pm Basically there are only major and minor chords
:?:

Diminished? Augmented?
Sure.
But here are shitloads of styles & genres that manage without them, and shitloads of artists having a respectable career while never touching these chords.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:19 am
excuse me please wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:09 pm Basically there are only major and minor chords

Diminished? Augmented?
Sure.
But here are shitloads of styles & genres that manage without them, and shitloads of artists having a respectable career while never touching these chords.
Of course, but my point is that music doesn’t stop at major and minor chords, and it’s definitely not true that they are the only types of chord that exist.

I said 'basically.' Dimished is basically a dominant 7th chord without the root. Or a 7b9 non root chord.

Diminished is not a Dominant 7th without the root - it two stacked minor thirds, or a minor chord with a flatted 5th.

For example:

Cdim = C-Eb-Gb

Rootless C7 = E-G-Bb

A chord with a flatted 5th is neither a Major or a minor chord.

Well, E G Bb coincides with C7/no C, but eg., vii in F major or harmonic minor *is* E diminished, obviously a chord in its own right.

So, it is of no real use value to tell us it *is* that other actual harmony and may just muddy the waters.

IE: we may want to extend the diminished triad and thinking of it as some other thing would be just stupid waste of thought. Go directly to the object in question. Everyone who has had Intro to Music Theory has the intervallic coincidence. :roll:

Diminished/diminished 7, E G Bb Db (Diminished 7th);
Diminished/minor 7, E G Bb D (Half diminished 7th).

E G Bb Db F: E dim7 b9
‘C7 b9 11/no C’?
bullshit

etc
Last edited by jancivil on Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

(C) E G Bb Db NR C7b9
(C) E G Bb D NR C9

But yes, I should have said 'practically' instead of 'basically.'
Sorry, my bad.

BertKoor wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:19 am

Diminished? Augmented?
Sure.
Preferably we want facts in the first place. This shit is useless.

Ok sucker, here you are, asshat:

"Those who always know what’s best
are a universal pest.”
― Piet Hein

Return to “Music Theory”