One Synth Challenge #130: Phase Plant by Kilohearts (exponent1 Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sweet, thanks! :hug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlZg35sYVKM

This thing is an awesome little synthesizer! Took me a little while to figure out that the voice envelope is on the group out-module but otherwise it's very intuitive!

Definitely going to have to try to finish something for this OSC. It's so much fun!
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

deleted
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:41 pm Phaseplant gonna punch you in your face ... Hope I find the time to finish it.
I definitely want to hear that to be finished...!

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:59 pm
] Peter:H [ wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:41 pm Phaseplant gonna punch you in your face ... Hope I find the time to finish it.
I definitely want to hear that to be finished...!
:tu:

by the way - has anybody already made a nice crash cymbal with phaseplant? I'm trying to create one on my own, but not with much success...

Don’t crash Phase Plant :x
Replicating real sounds is good for learning sound design, but the musically more interesting stuff has been never heard before...

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:39 pm Don’t crash Phase Plant :x
Replicating real sounds is good for learning sound design, but the musically more interesting stuff has been never heard before...
he he he ;-)
You can check out the crash in my first full version:
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/line ... achine-mix

This track really got me self addicted and therefore I have spent too many hours at night in the past two days. Actually I planned to stay away from my computer a few days (computer detox)... but I have to admit to myself: I'm a OSC junky. Anyway now the thingy is ready for submission. Currently it's the as-it-is-intended "Man Machine Mix" version with wavetable "lyrics". Will do a submission version later.

Additionally to the "words" I added some more classic kraftwerk elements, I've tried a hypnotic arp in the middle part, but nevertheless kept it punchy and right in your face ;-) Hope I managed to get some kind of entertainment and structure in this to keep you all interested.

The only sad part is that after the OSC I will never be able to edit this again ... because $199 ist too much for yet another synth when there's so many others which get covered by dust...

Have fun
] Peter:H [
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Here's my go at getting familiar with Phase Plant / tearing into and tweaking some of the presets to mold into a track (there are some quite good ones I must say!)

https://soundcloud.com/dailypatcher/kvr ... ant-qoyl-2

screenshot of the Mixer view in Bitwig to show plugins used:

https://imgur.com/a/9Bnm4f0

28x Phase Plant
Lots of Kilohearts snapins / Multipass, Bitwig Stock Devices & a few instances of OTT
Made in Bitwig 3.1

EDIT:

Found some time to update the mix upload a new version.

EDIT2:

Worked on the track a bit more and uploaded final mix.
Last edited by daily patcher on Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Hi all

Here's my entry now in case I don't have more time to work on it before the end of the month. I'm told there's a few celebrations which might get in the way!

Happy Holidays all.

DAW: Reaper

Track Details:
12 * Phase Plant
9 * ReaEQ
9 * JS Midi Note filter
1 * LFX-1310
1 * Pecheneg Tremolo
2 * Valhalla Room
6 * Waves VComp
7 * Waves VEQ4
3 * epicVerb
1 * Stillwell Bombardier

Master:
Stillwell 1973
Stillwell Bombardier
Voxengo MSED
Ozone 8 Elements

Metering:
SPAN
Youlean Loudness Meter 2

Stats:
LUFS: -15.1
DR: 11

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctor ... hase-plant
Last edited by doctorbob on Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hey Rob, well, I love the flute preset, too, and have it in my track - hoping I'll get to finish it. But you should really compress or tame it somehow, because it sticks out like a dagger into my brains on several occasions, making it kind of a gauntlet to try listening to. Other than that it's obviously you in your element again, which is fine, albeit a little hiding the glory of this synth and even making it almost sound a bit bad with the very cheap sounding keys (piano?)....which I would probably replace with something a little less ambitious like an obvious Epiano or Rhodes like preset or even a vibraphone, if that's not too dominant?!
But, yeah, it's a time of celebrations and ironically also to seek out some calmness, peace and quiet to contemplate or simply relax a bit. I don't have that luxury either, which unfortunately includes the celebrating as well, because I've got work to do and pray to get back to my song. The synth can be so glorious, truly. But it is a hungry one, too. As much as I praised it earlier on for its performance powers, I have to admit I was a bit wrong. I finally have Asio drivers running, but they scratch painfully once the cpu shoots up to 100%. There also seem to be some lingering processes that somehow accumulate, because after a short while the cpu can't handle the same places it could handle before. Well, well... still: beautiful synth.
I have even more feedback, but this doesn't seem to be the place to give it, which I also find unfortunate. Just the other day I started playing with wavetable painting, something I sometimes love doing, but you can't seem to save the wavetables in an editable state. Once you close the editor, you're done for, so to say. That's really weird to me, kind of like a sword of the Damocles, you know. Anyway...maybe I'll try the discord channel at some point for some proper feedback. :shrug:

Thanks T. The "EP" sound to the left was a placeholder … decided to make it another acoustic guitar - sounds OK to me. Toyed with a Hammond style organ as well, but doesn't fit really with the "percussive" vibe of the track. Added some comp to the flute, but will have to do some "vocal riding" style volume tweaks to really tame it … later …

dB

I've just got to say that the sonic capabilities of this synth are ridiculous. I mean seriously I've made a couple just f**king nutty patches that would be difficult to pull off in a single synth. Good job to the kilohearts team, it's a really nice instrument.

Progress is slow because I keep getting lost in patch making, which is a good sign I guess. Means I'm having fun. But I need to make a song damn it!
Disco flangus shenanigans

Hey all, I made a thing with PP, hope you're having fun!

https://soundcloud.com/ranoka/yet-another-revolution

Made for the KVR One Synth Challenge #130 Phase Plant by Kilohearts.
All the sounds were created using Phase Plant - The Sampler generator, and sample based Wavetables weren't used, I stuck to the factory wavetables.

FL Studio 20.6 64bit - Windows 10
33 instances of Phase Plant used - all sounds made from init.

As a challenge, I stuck to the Kilohearts snapins for any mixing (except for Fruity Balance for volume automation, and Fruity Limiter for a little ducking)

- Kilohearts snapins used on the mixer (ones used in Phase Plant not counted here)
Reverb x2
Delay
Filter
Compressor x2
Distortion
Transient Shaper

- FL Native:
Fruity Balance x6 (for volume automation)
Fruity Limiter (for ducking)

- Visualisers:
Youlean Loudness Meter 2
Spiral

+++ SUBMISSION +++
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/line ... ix/s-U7khJ

DAW: Bitwig 3.1 beta
Phase Plant: 25 instances
Commercial FX: Melda MSpectralDynamics, MStereoProcessor, MUltraMaximizer
Other FX:
Audio: Lot's of Bitwig EQ, Compressor, Dynamics, Peak Limiter, Tool, Reverb, Multiband and M/S-Containers. Native Instruments "Raum" Reverb - Their christmas give away.
Midi: Bitwig Arp, Bitwig Diatonic Transposer, BlueArp

Patches: about 50/50 Presets used and Patches created from init. Especially the factory drums are pretty cool, I've instantely given up to get something better than they already are ... I think I have only tuned the bdr a bit.

Notes - only if you're interested:
1.) Actually sbdy asked about the kind of slightly-out-of-pitch sounds. I used several techniques. a.) "Tone" Control in Phase Distortion module or b.) a delayed envelope that first plays a note in tune but then if the delay time passed pushes the pitch away and last but not least c.) a Dispersers on LFO...
The Arppegio is just a sequence which contains +3, +10, +2 offsets, which I drive by a cords sequence. The ARP output is later "corrected" by a Diatonic Transposer to fit into E harm.minor.
2.) I've used a lot of subtle randomness. I've read somewhere that Jean-Michel Jarre reportedly said that he wants every note to sound different. For the Arp I even randomized the Env-Delay.
3.) I've only scratched the surface of PhasePlant, it's realy versatile though I missed a few things like a real "note random" effect and a MSEG generator.
4.) Mostly I've tuned the presets because they are very "expensive" because some modules produce long "tails" which eat up CPU. And as always these presets are "tuned to impress" - therefore I took away all the show-off-fx like choruses, reverbs, ensembles and stuff and used the DAW ones to have a coherent sound...

] Peter:H [
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote="]
I've used a lot of subtle randomness. I've read somewhere that Jean-Michel Jarre reportedly said that he wants every note to sound different. For the Arp I even randomized the Env-Delay.
[/quote]

You are really very successful in this! This creates an effect that you don't fully realize at every moment of time, but you think: "Wow! That sounds cool! What is it?!" Bravo! :clap:

Return to “Instruments”