Arturia Pigments 2 (Free Update): Now it's Granular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

mladi wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:19 pm Have to agree! "create 2 identical presets" LOL Sorry that is utter nonsense.
In defense of the OP, while "identical" may not be possible, you certainly could:

1. Load up your own wavetable in two different WT synths (or same sample in two granular synths)
2. Setup similar tuning, envelope, filter settings across Pigments2 and another WT synth
3. Setup similar modulation on both
4. Use the same number of voices
5. Turn FX off on both
6. Compare the sound

There'd be no "utter nonsense" about using a test like that to compare sound quality. Particularly if you were listening for things like "which filter do I like better" or "can I hear a difference in the wavetable interpolation" or "how does CPU compare between this and Hive2 (for example)?"

I agree that comparing Pad Preset X on Pigments and comparing it to Pad Preset Y on Hive2 is a really poor way to compare two synths, but it's totally possible to do more objective comparisons. In fact, it seems like a perfectly reasonable type of thing to do if one were really worried about spending money a synth they may not need.

For those intrigued by the new Pigments' granular engine, overview & tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTwrzjnTWVE

This was an amazing surprise by Arturia. Thank you so much for the free update! :tu:
In general, I think Arturia has been quite generous with their offers. :)
Pigments is a fantastic synth overall, but it is exceptional for sounds like keys/bells/pads. :o

I demoed pigments and loaded up rapid. I just went through the va and basic shapes on the wt just to compare the general sound of the synths. One thing I did notice rapid has a lot more 'fizz' and pigments sounding a little dull and smeary. If that makes any sense. The phase modulation is also pretty tame in pigments but filters are great.

Pigment has all the features I could dream of and the perfect interface, but the sound is just so dull. :( Everything just sounds glassy in away.

Mik_lo wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:03 pm I demoed pigments and loaded up rapid. I just went through the va and basic shapes on the wt just to compare the general sound of the synths. One thing I did notice rapid has a lot more 'fizz' and pigments sounding a little dull and smeary. If that makes any sense. The phase modulation is also pretty tame in pigments but filters are great.
Yea, I noticed that too. But on further inspection, the fizz in Rapid is due to the treble knob in the filter section. Turn that down in Rapid and the waveforms should sound very similar again.

So far I'm loving Pigments 2, purchased it today after demoing Rapid, Icarus 2 and Avenger. It's a very intuitive synth and has a very fast workflow. Everything is so visual and I love visual feedback.It ticks all the boxes for me and I think in the future if we see a wavetable editor too, it would be amazing Wishful thinking ! :)

rezoneight wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:03 pm Go and create with the stuff you like.
What is this 'create' you're talking about. Is it a plugin?

All joking aside, when I first tried Pigments, I wasn't wowed by the sound. That was why I didn't buy it, because I loved the GUI. With the new granular sampler module, Pigments has suddenly become really interesting. I think I'm going to pick it up this time around.

The problem with Pigments is that it has this sort of aquamarine sound, if you know what I mean. Turn the modulations up and you'll get this distinctive oyster tone that has this sort of gaseous iodine feeling.

I just don't know how to get that, you know, "hyperbolic arctangent" vibe when the filter goes from nicotine-esque to utter pancreatitis with just a little throw of the knob.

dumbledog wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:53 pm The problem with Pigments is that it has this sort of aquamarine sound, if you know what I mean. Turn the modulations up and you'll get this distinctive oyster tone that has this sort of gaseous iodine feeling.

I just don't know how to get that, you know, "hyperbolic arctangent" vibe when the filter goes from nicotine-esque to utter pancreatitis with just a little throw of the knob.
interesting comment. i will need to check it out tonight.

so just wondering, would padshop2 be a fair comparison to pigments2 now?
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:00 pm
so just wondering, would padshop2 be a fair comparison to pigments2 now?
Just because of the granular implementation? I don't think so. Pigments has other types of synthesis Padshop doesn't, and vise versa. Padshop now has spectral resynthesis.

Pigments needs a more modular approach. For instance, a possibility to bypass some oscillators from going to fx sessions. Freely routible envelopes (which is not possible by now, because VCO envelope has a different "ballistic" qualities than the rest of the envelopes). This would create a lot of possibilities to use a synth as, for instance, a drum synth.

This weekend for me is Hive 2 Vs Pigments

Initial impressions I prefer Hive 2

I loved the quality of the sound from MX but I struggled with the workflow

Spencer Maddox wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:44 pm I don’t know anyone off the top of my head who’s copied the 8Pad morphing stuff Alchemy yet.
alchemy's octopad isn't as impressive as some people think - it's just 8 snapshots within a preset, and the presets don't always make use of the x/y morpher which is another module, basically a glorified 4-way crossfader.
I use a good vst host, so I can do alchemy-style snapshots with every plugin, it's quite elementary.

exponent1 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:34 pm
rezoneight wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:03 pm
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on KVR and I've read a lot of ridiculous things here. They are completely different plugins. There is no way to "create 2 identical presets". Comparing them is also pointless. Again, two totally different plugins.

Jesus people, can't anyone on these newsgroups just enjoy/not enjoy something and stop with the pointless comparisons? Its OK to like or not like something. It really is. Your world won't come crashing down if you like Pigments and I don't. Go and create with the stuff you like.
There's really no need to act smart and get salty here :hihi: I'm not comparing/complaining about anything, I'm merely suggesting a way to compare things a bit more objectively, if you at all need to compare :roll:

What I meant is if you really want to compare the sound engine of synths, use the similar types of oscillators shapes and FX etc. to really effectively compare which one sounds better or fuller in your opinion. That is all I meant. I don't really complain about synths, and have created songs even using very limited synths. Anyway, peace :tu:
For what its' worth, that's exactly how I took it. And I purchased my first synth around '79 - so like, street cred or something ;)

Nice move by Arturia. They are doing all the right things. Nice free update with granular, even adding mpe. It’s funny when you compare them to NI, both of whom have been around quite a while. Arturia updated their old GUIs. The GUIs even work flawlessly in touch screens and now they are adding mpe. They are keeping up with technology. The pace of their development is killing NI. Honestly I just wish I liked the Arturia sound more. I tend to find it all a bit dull and smeary, as pigments was described earlier.

Return to “Instruments”