DrumComputer VST from Sugar Bytes - out now, EUR119!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DrumComputer

RichN wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:07 pm
plexuss wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:56 pm
RichN wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:27 pm ... one thing that's driving me nuts is that click in the resonator ... Can anyone shed some light on this?
“The man who says he can work with the click, and the man who says he can not… Are both correct.”

“Your click is what your thoughts make it.”

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s click.”

“The man who asks a question about the click is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life.”

“The journey with a 1000 clicks begins with one click.”

“Choose a click you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”

“You are what you click.”

“Looking at small click prevents great affairs from being accomplished.”

“All clicks are the same; only their durations differ.”

“Learn avidly. Question it repeatedly. Analyze it carefully. Then put your click into practice intelligently.”

“We have two clicks, and the second begins when we realize we only have one.”

Thank you master. I now realize that I have to embrace it.
The Chosen One! :o
A well-behaved signature.

DrumComputer is covering the same ground as FXPansion Tremor, XILS-Lab StiX and Rob Papen Punch 2?

What are the main differences?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:15 am DrumComputer is covering the same ground as FXPansion Tremor, XILS-Lab StiX and Rob Papen Punch 2?

What are the main differences?
Just differences for StiX, and at first view (because I just watched the videos and read the DC manual quickly) :

1/ Obviously they sound very different one from each other.

Which can be easily explained by the following :

* StiX use analog modelled oscillators. DC has different synthesis engines
* StiX also uses real samples, and sample manipulations. DC import samples and 'resynth' them into wavetables.
* StiX has more flexible -audiorate- FM, RM etc. Cross synthesis is different.
* StiX has -3- full complex ADSR envelopes per drumsound (whose segments can be modulated). And the special R-Claps envelopes. DC has A-D EVs. Same could be said for the LFOs.
* StiX has zdf analog filters per drum sound.

The GUI/UI philosophy is also different. In StiX, Synthesis -ez or advanced-, Sequencer -multi or single line-, patterns and Mixer are always visible simultanously. ecause I think that it's better to have theml always visible. DC has a different approach.

The P.lock approach is also diferrent. StiX use real/standard P.lock (per step modulation) approach. DC is different.

All in all StiX has far more parameters to make 'a drum sound', more modulations sources, but also targets. This doesn't mean the resulting drum will be better. It just means a kind of depth in controlling things.

There are also similar features : Live mute/unmute sounds, pattern chaining etc.

And of course DC has some unique features in it's sleeve, like StiX has it's unique PolyStep modulator.

But, all in all, it all comes back to point one. They sound vastly different. And therefore can be seen as totally complementary as much as possibly competing.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Drumcomputer: very good sequencer, less punchy sound, samples functionality quite limited

Tremor: very good sequencer ( very similar) but drumcomputer has the edge with eg randomisation and autofills. Punchy sound. No support for samples.

Punch 2: extensive support for both synthesis and samples. Sequencer is good and can also do polyrhythm but uses 8 parts of max 4 tracks instead. A song mode will be added soon. Drumcomputer's sequencer has the edge though.
Lots of included presets with embedded sequence.
Uses 24 pads instead of 8. Has 8 multi outs.

Personal favorite: Tremor. The sequencer is really fun (DC was probably 'inspired'' by it; its sequencer is a more recent version with a few extra whistles) and I really like the aggressive sound. DC has a softer/more mellow sound.
Last edited by Stefken on Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RichN wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:27 pm I'm still demoing and one thing that's driving me nuts is that click in the resonator that I can't get rid of or control when making a kick drum (except for when I dial down the tone knob, but that completely alters the sound). Well, the velocity controls in the sequencer seem to have an effect on that click, but lowering those controls also lowers the volume, which I don't want.

it's especially problematic for me as that click never seems to sound the same (as if the phase wasn't reset or something between hits). I have the Pitch-Mod at zero, so there shouldn't be any randomization I think? Random variations are useful as long as you can control them, but I just can't get rid of them. And for me, the kick has to sound exactly the same each hit. Always. Obviously I could use samples then, but making a consistent synthesized kick should be possible too I think.

My guess is that I'm missing something obvious. Can anyone shed some light on this?
The design that the resonator module is emulating (excited self oscillating filter) should have a mixer that should let you adjust the balance between the excitation and the tone. It would be handy to have a knob added that would simply adjust how much of the actual excitation signal is passed along the audio signal path.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

As a former STIX user I would say DC’s work flow is a winner, STIX is such a ball ache to use. DC’s sequencer is amazing, drag n drop midi that works properly, unlike STIX. And DC is fun as hell to use, which wasn’t the case for me with STIX, it feels like a finished instrument where as STIX always felt like a work in progress. I can’t comment on Tremor or Punch 2 as I’ve not used them.

What's the best way to sequence this? Record the randomisation and fills live on the fly or drag and drop by beat?

zentatonic wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:02 pm What's the best way to sequence this? Record the randomisation and fills live on the fly or drag and drop by beat?
you can do both. after you dragged the midi file, the internal sequencer automatically bypasses and the engine works with daw midi. otherwise you can always record on the fly, the data is the same. just switch off the play button to make DC expect data from midi instead of the internal seq.
auto fills are still applied, until you set the button to Remix. which makes another fun fact: you can apply auto fills on already existing auto fills..

whats puzzling me is the low end critics. it so much depends on how you use the engine.
sure the wt and resynth are not neccesarily fat. resynth not really captures low end due to its noise convolution approach, while with the wt, playing complicated waveforms at the edge of audible frequency is not that nice. for a clean low end kick, concentrate on the resonator with its clean but organic sine. the resonator will have a pitch drop button in the next version, so you get a lower base pitch here.
use the resynth for air and the wt for punch or character. but make sure that the resonator is the dominant part, while the wt shows a clean sine.

For me personally, I don't really feel that it's lacking in the low end. It's more that I struggle to get that 909 kind of punchiness or roundness. The first thing I always do when trying a drum synth is to make a 909 kick. Like I said before, it's always possible to just use a sample for that (or a 909 simulation), but I'd prefer to be able to do everything inside DrumComputer, the way it was meant (so no samples). I admit though that I'm not very good at sound design.

@Sugar Bytes I think you should have really added one very visible preset which run of the mill drum sound. Because here and on Gearslutz people keep commenting on "can't make 909", which, as others have pointed out, the thing doesn't need to do but if it's possible it could have circumvented some of that decissions. I think the DrumComputer is super fun, I'm just not sure how long I'm gonna use it so I'm hesitant to jump on it for 110 (esp. after BF).

edit: I think I figured out what the problem is, (1) evreything is based on the wave form of the wavetable synth in the middle section, even if you mute that syntehsis channel. the resonater also uses that waveform. (2) at least thats what I did: I tried to build a regular fat ass kick and was looking at a couple of the sine based wave forms with no luck. The kicks of the DF presets are all really droning but I think most of them used waveforms from the "mixed" tag.

Anyway I wanted to add: I really love how this thing looks. Like a lot.

edit 2: I realize what i explained in edit 1 (;-)) of what I presupposed of how the plugin works, is kinda stupid but I couldn't have been the only one so I leave it up.

The gui puts a considerable strain on my cpu , and slowed down the gui of my host , not impressed by the soundquality at all ( like most sugarbytes stuff )
Un-installed after 5 minutes
:tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Concentrate on the Resonator for kicks. Here are some hints:
-Exciter-Decay at zero(longer decay kills the bass, I will adress that in the kick random profile),
P-Mod controls the punch now.
-Resonance above 50% provides a longer bass tail
-Partials at zero.
-Exciter to "Envelope"
-Play with Comp and Distortion
-add another Pitch-Mod using the ModMatrix. So you have one fast and one slow pitch mod
-deactivate velocity on Pitch-Mod to make all kicks sound the same

@gExpectations: Make sure the exciter for the Resonator is not "Wavetable" but "Envelope"

Dropping the base pitch below 20 brings no good result, as down there you have no audible signal.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:41 am ( like most sugarbytes stuff )
Wot ?? it seems deal definitely not in a stuff. :)

The hihats in most demos sound very similar and unexciting, anyone has any insight on those?

Return to “Instruments”