Opinions on MassiveX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive Massive X Zebra

Yes, their DSP is certainly good but everything is kontakt or reaktor based. Reaktor is a graphical environment with less coding requirements.

But when they needed to code a new vst: not a great result. Looks like they don't have the knowledge in house (anymore).

When I look at Arturia. The consistency within their gui's suggests that they have a custom gui framework set up. And they keep up with current developments. Pigments also supports mpe now ;).

So they have a good architecture going, while NI seems to rely on their older products. And when they need to step outside that comfort zone, things don't go well.

NI makes me think of a (former) popstar that has grown fat in his couch.

Stefken wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:31 pm Yes, their DSP is certainly good but everything is kontakt or reaktor based. Reaktor is a graphical environment with less coding requirements.

But when they needed to code a new vst: not a great result. Looks like they don't have the knowledge in house (anymore).

When I look at Arturia. The consistency within their gui's suggests that they have a custom gui framework set up. And they keep up with current developments. Pigments also supports mpe now ;).

So they have a good architecture going, while NI seems to rely on their older products. And when they need to step outside that comfort zone, things don't go well.

NI makes me think of a (former) popstar that has grown fat in his couch.
ah, these comparisons. i don't get it; am using MX, like it a lot, am making music. what else really matters?

Well, you being here and always being active in MX threads, clearly shows that there is more than making music.
But have fun making music.
I'd be interested to hear one of your tunes....

Stefken wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:46 pm Well, you being here and always being active in MX threads, clearly shows that there is more than making music.
of course, there's more than making music. life, movies, my GF, my friends, etc (my "A" list). but petty arguments over which developer is 'better' seems a distraction from the subject (imho, anyway).

meanwhile: https://soundcloud.com/upstatebrooklyn/sets/popmusic
Last edited by fisherKing on Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

One can approach software synths from many angles. Looking at a SOFTWARE synth from a software/development angle is pretty straight forward imo.
Your interest lies elsewhere. That's cool too.

Stefken wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:02 pm One can approach software synths from many angles. Looking at a SOFTWARE synth from a software/development angle is pretty straight forward imo.
Your interest lies elsewhere. That's cool too.
i get your point above, but don't get the 'this developer is better than that developer' thing... but no stress, we all make the point we need to make. :tu:

Yes we do, don't we. :wink:

I wonder how many posts you have in these MX threads. Certainly more than me :wink: .

fisherKing wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:52 pm
Stefken wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:46 pm Well, you being here and always being active in MX threads, clearly shows that there is more than making music.
of course, there's more than making music. life, movies, my GF, my friends, etc (my "A" list). but petty arguments over which developer is 'better' seems a distraction from the subject (imho, anyway).

meanwhile: https://soundcloud.com/upstatebrooklyn/sets/popmusic
Some really cool stuff in that list, FK :tu:

Stefken wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:21 pm Yes we do, don't we. :wink:

I wonder how many posts you have in these MX threads. Certainly more than me :wink: .
i like hanging out here; i actually learn a few things, get to discuss things that interest me, and occasionally p̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ I MEAN get into a serious discussion about something. it's a great (& crazy) place...
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:34 pm Some really cool stuff in that list, FK :tu:
thanx!

fisherKing wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:42 pm

i like hanging out here; i actually learn a few things, get to discuss things that interest me, and occasionally p̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ I MEAN get into a serious discussion about something. it's a great (& crazy) place...
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:34 pm Some really cool stuff in that list, FK :tu:
thanx!
Looks to me that KVR should definately be on your A-list.

Stefken wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:49 pm
fisherKing wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:42 pm

thanx!
Looks to me that KVR should definately be on your A-list.
ha, it's #1 on my B-list...

now back to the subject at hand. as i get more familiar with the GUI (& the sound), am finding more places to use MX. it's now joined my A-list of synth plugins... :D

Stefken wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:31 pm

Oh dear , :lol:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I guess Prince 2 doesn't ring a bell? No, it's not a cookie.

Stefken wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:31 pm Yes, their DSP is certainly good but everything is kontakt or reaktor based. Reaktor is a graphical environment with less coding requirements
Partially correct. Massive X was prototyped in Reaktor but then implemented in C++. The Reactor department also seems to be one of the departments at NI that wasn't affected by the layoffs in the HQ.

4damind wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:04 pm
Stefken wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:31 pm Yes, their DSP is certainly good but everything is kontakt or reaktor based. Reaktor is a graphical environment with less coding requirements
Partially correct. Massive X was prototyped in Reaktor but then implemented in C++. The Reactor department also seems to be one of the departments at NI that wasn't affected by the layoffs in the HQ.
What I meant was that everything aside from mx, is made in reaktor or kontakt. That is their comfort zone.
Going out of that comfort zone and effectively coding a vst, was not so succesfull.
Unless one calls postponing a project twice and then releasing it halfbaked, a demonstration of good project management.

What is the relevance of that statement?
Well, for me it boils down to the question: can be only expect yet another sample library or reaktor instrument from NI, or can we expect that NI can still deliver good vst's, that support features we expect anno 2020.
Last edited by Stefken on Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”