What Version of Kontakt are you using?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic

What Version of Kontakt are you using?

Kontakt 6
64%
Kontakt 5
34%
Kontakt 4
No votes
Kontakt 3
No votes
Kontakt 2
No votes
Kontakt 1
2%

Total votes: 59

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am just wondering what version of Kontakt everyone is using.

Still on 5. Not enough new stuff to upgrade Komplete yet, and it feels like money down the drain to update Kontakt if going to update Komplete further down the road. Guess I have to miss this year's HGSounds group buy :-(

5 as my "Full", 6 as my "Player"... So for NI libraries, 6; for independent content, 5.

I've got 6 but still use 5 for compatibility and access to the import functions that got stripped from v6. I make sure any batch saving gets done in v5 (unless it's a v6+ library ofc).

K6 is such a let down. All the format support is gone. I cannot even import sound fonts without using a 3rd party app.

Gamma-UT wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:31 pm I've got 6 but still use 5 for compatibility and access to the import functions that got stripped from v6. I make sure any batch saving gets done in v5 (unless it's a v6+ library ofc).
this

Like several others in this thread, I use both K5 and K6. I really like some of the new features in K6, but K5 is still handy for compatibility reasons. If I were to publish a new Kontakt instrument, I would probably publish it in K5 format, unless it would significantly benefit from some of the exclusive K6 features. In that case, I wouldn't hesitate to publish an instrument in K6 format.
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

A lot of people think K6 is a bust, but the stats show that 68% have it, although many (including me) still use K5 for some things. I think NI has some work to do.

I was hesitant but got the upgrade on BF. Really glad I did - K5 was not reliable in Reaper - Reaper's fault I would think - but it was slow and would hang when deleting instruments. K6 so far has been much quicker, no hanging (god I wish I hadn't written this as K6 is bound to slow down and start hanging now)

alienmachine wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:34 pm K6 is such a let down. All the format support is gone. I cannot even import sound fonts without using a 3rd party app.
So keep K5 around for those cases, easy.

McLilith wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:33 am Like several others in this thread, I use both K5 and K6. I really like some of the new features in K6, but K5 is still handy for compatibility reasons. If I were to publish a new Kontakt instrument, I would probably publish it in K5 format, unless it would significantly benefit from some of the exclusive K6 features. In that case, I wouldn't hesitate to publish an instrument in K6 format.
This is something I am currently torn between. I was developing a small Kontakt instrument using version 5 and felt that most users would have this. However, some of the included effects in version 6 are definitely closer to what I want to provide so I have a decision to make.

I've yet to install K6 though - actually yet to install any of Komplete 12 yet - and I was worried about breaking any functionality in K5. Especially work I have done. Is anything about K6 radically different that causes certain things not to work from K5? Was there a change to script commands? I know some methods were being phased out but I wouldn't expect them to be dropped.

I'm guessing K6 will install happily alongside K5 though - as with Reaktor 5 and 6.

New to Kontakt 'full', so I use the latest.

Unaspected wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:22 am
McLilith wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:33 am Like several others in this thread, I use both K5 and K6. I really like some of the new features in K6, but K5 is still handy for compatibility reasons. If I were to publish a new Kontakt instrument, I would probably publish it in K5 format, unless it would significantly benefit from some of the exclusive K6 features. In that case, I wouldn't hesitate to publish an instrument in K6 format.
This is something I am currently torn between. I was developing a small Kontakt instrument using version 5 and felt that most users would have this. However, some of the included effects in version 6 are definitely closer to what I want to provide so I have a decision to make.

I've yet to install K6 though - actually yet to install any of Komplete 12 yet - and I was worried about breaking any functionality in K5. Especially work I have done. Is anything about K6 radically different that causes certain things not to work from K5? Was there a change to script commands? I know some methods were being phased out but I wouldn't expect them to be dropped.

I'm guessing K6 will install happily alongside K5 though - as with Reaktor 5 and 6.
I've not noticed any change in my K5's behavior since installing K6. The two versions coexist perfectly on my computer. K6 installed itself into its own directory by default. I wouldn't be worried breaking anything in K5. Lots of folks are using both versions on the same computer.
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

McLilith wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:33 am
Unaspected wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:22 am

I've not noticed any change in my K5's behavior since installing K6. The two versions coexist perfectly on my computer. K6 installed itself into its own directory by default. I wouldn't be worried breaking anything in K5. Lots of folks are using both versions on the same computer.
Thank you.

This is a very useful thread.

So is it just soundfonts and outdated formats that have been dropped? I guess I'll find out when I get round to installing but I'm presuming that SonicCouture instruments, for example, are still working just fine - as I never experienced any issues moving from 4 to 5. Actually, there was a massive improvement there, when they were then made available through Native Access.

Any Kontakt libraries will work just fine. It's 3rd party sample format import (i.e. EXS, GigaStudio, NNXT, etc.) that was removed.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”