Do you listen to synthesizers anymore?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic

Do you listen to synthesizer music?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:58 am

I am still interested in hearing someone play a synthesizer.
61%
I mainly listen to samples fed through effects to a beat.
7%
I'm just hear for the drugs and sex.
11%
fish.
20%

Total votes: 54

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vurt wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:29 pm why does your fandom of nin have any bearing on them being an example of synth music?
"Vorzel....".. don't go there dude. Just let it slide.

Incidentally, Trent Reznor is a highly intelligent artist that still makes amazing music both under the banner of NIN as well as sountracks. You all need to check out the soundtrack to Gone Girl -- especially what they did for the death scene where Rosamund Pike kills the Neil Patrick Harris character. Once of the most innovative uses of modular synth combined with visual ever created IMNSHO!
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:08 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:29 pm why does your fandom of nin have any bearing on them being an example of synth music?

Incidentally, Trent Reznor is a highly intelligent artist that still makes amazing music both under the banner of NIN as well as sountracks. You all need to check out the soundtrack to Gone Girl -- especially what they did for the death scene where Rosamund Pike kills the Neil Patrick Harris character. Once of the most innovative uses of modular synth combined with visual ever created IMNSHO!
Didn’t make up for the incredibly sh!te film though.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:09 pm

Didn’t make up for the incredibly sh!te film though.
true. the sountrack was much better than the film. i am finding most soundtracks are actually better than the films these days.

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

sorry, i dont understand "nutter" :shrug:
poogle translate is not helping either.

@OP:

All the time, pal!

You guy’s :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

I think, Beer, a handshake 🤝 and this guy sums us all up a little.

Merry Xmas you stupid bastards. :party:

https://youtu.be/NW87dBPjHuU

Proxima4 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:37 pm You guy’s :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

I think, Beer, a handshake 🤝 and this guy sums us all up a little.

Merry Xmas you stupid bastards. :party:

https://youtu.be/NW87dBPjHuU
Nils is the man!!! And that ladies and gents is why software will never sound as good as hardware. :clap:

BONES wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:24 amNone of this impresses me in the slightest. Until I got Analog Lab a couple of years ago, I had never heard of Buchla, either the man or the company. It/he are little more than a footnote in synth history, which doesn't interest me anyway. I like to look forward, not back.
So fatuous, such a lack of normative awareness.

You aren’t moving music forward in a vacuum, in reality you are standing on all kind of people’s back and repeating history. NB: This ’you’ works as the universal you, anyone saying this kind of nonsense. You in the particular just show a kind of contempt and the typical willingness to posture. So bold, so missing the point. Dunning-Kruger rules ok. I’ve heard your music, forward-looking? That through itself wouldn’t be a point for judgement, but the pretense there only showed us an ahistorical bent. Were we supposed to be impressed? A silliness.

now
jancivil wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:42 am
BONES wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:24 amNone of this impresses me in the slightest. Until I got Analog Lab a couple of years ago, I had never heard of Buchla, either the man or the company. It/he are little more than a footnote in synth history, which doesn't interest me anyway. I like to look forward, not back.
So fatuous, such a lack of normative awareness.

You aren’t moving music forward in a vacuum, in reality you are standing on all kind of people’s back and repeating history. NB: This ’you’ works as the universal you, anyone saying this kind of nonsense. You in the particular just show a kind of contempt and the typical willingness to posture. So bold, so missing the point. Dunning-Kruger rules ok. I’ve heard your music, forward-looking? That through itself wouldn’t be a point for judgement, but the pretense there only showed us an ahistorical bent. Were we supposed to be impressed? A silliness.
earlier in the thread
jancivil wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:08 pm
telecode wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:34 pm
Forgotten wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:50 pm A little bit of off topic occurs everywhere, and it’s always been that way.
not on other forums like Steinberg or NI. posts are on topic 90% of the time. the odd occasional goof goes on to post stupid useless stuff, but its a pretty well run self policed communites.
Is this post pertinent to the topic?
whether you agree or not my asking to stay on topic and lay off the attacks is pertinent to the topic. There is no need for it
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

foosnark wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:31 pmHere you demonstrate only your own ignorance. Buchla invented the voltage-controlled synthesizer before Moog did, and he invented the sequencer.
So what? That is of less than no interest to me and of no consequence whatsoever to anything I do, in any part of my life. Synthesisers could have been invented by Hitler for all the difference it makes.
Nobody cares whether things impress you or not.
Clearly that's not true, else you wouldn't have bothered to reply.
BONES wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:24 am
RichieWitch wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:38 pm The concert was breathtaking.
Was the music any good? You still haven't said
And here you demonstrate intentional boneheadedness.[/quote]
Quite the opposite, I made myself quite clear, yet the bonehead I had responded to still didn't get it, which further reinforced my point.
jancivil wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:42 amYou aren’t moving music forward in a vacuum, in reality you are standing on all kind of people’s back and repeating history.
I don't think I'm moving music forward at all but I am interested in what comes next. OTOH, I have less than no interest in how we got to where we are today. It just doesn't matter.
You in the particular just show a kind of contempt and the typical willingness to posture.
All that is self-evident but knowing the details doesn't make a blind bit of difference to anything, it's totally irrelevant. And yes, I am contemptuous of those who think it does matter, even slightly. Punk swept it all away and it is best forgotten, confined to the dust bins of history.
So bold, so missing the point. Dunning-Kruger rules ok.
Apparently it does among you idiots. Honestly, you seem to have no grasp of what matters, like you don't even have real interest in music at all, just in the excrutiatingly irrelevant minutae around it.
I’ve heard your music, forward-looking? That through itself wouldn’t be a point for judgement, but the pretense there only showed us an ahistorical bent. Were we supposed to be impressed? A silliness.
Our music is what it is. There is no cynical, preconceived notion of what it should be, it is nothing more than an expression of what was in our collective head at the particular time that it was created. It would be more than a little pretentious to think it was anything more. I look to the future to work out what might influence what I/we do next.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

fese wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:57 am I never listened to “synthesizer music”. Most of it feels cold and lifeless to me, also I prefer songs over sounds. I have nothing against synths (some of my best friends are synths!), but more as another color in a song arrangement, not complete tracks made only with synths...
I went through a phase of it in my early 20s, where I was really into electronic music.

Now, I mostly prefer listening to acoustic instruments; be they real or sampled. There're these human elements to "real instruments" unto themselves which synths will never be able to replicate.

The main thing with synths I find is that the most "interesting" sounds are the least-musical, but the most-musical ones are the least-interesting and cheesy-sounding.

But I think I'll always have a soft spot for those 90s keyboard-patch type sounds and synth solos alongside acoustic instruments and orchestras like in Yanni's music.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”