How To Get Your Music On Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music (DistroKid Tutorial)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:12 pm Portishead's Geoff Barrow has revealed he earned just $2,500 from 34 million streams of his music. The British took to his Twitter account to blast Apple, YouTube, Spotify and “especially” his label Universal Music for “selling our music so cheaply.”

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news ... on-streams
Yeah that sounds about right. Universal probably made (or who ever is the owner and administrator of the licensing for Portisheads.music publishing) made 100x more than Portishead.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:21 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:12 pm Portishead's Geoff Barrow has revealed he earned just $2,500 from 34 million streams of his music. The British took to his Twitter account to blast Apple, YouTube, Spotify and “especially” his label Universal Music for “selling our music so cheaply.”

Yeah that sounds about right. Universal probably made (or who ever is the owner and administrator of the licensing for Portisheads.music publishing) made 100x more than Portishead.
Exactly. Spotify and the label take the vast majority of the revenue and the artist gets bent over.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Vortifex wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:20 pm

I don't understand how that is possible. Do Spotify pay less per stream the more streams you get? Something's not right there. Unless Universal are shafting him big time. Another reason to go independent.

Zoe Keating earned $12,231 for 2,252,293 streams. Seems Barrow's beef ought to be with his label rather than Spotify.
I've no idea who that is but Portishead have some clout.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I don't understand how that is possible. Do Spotify pay less per stream the more streams you get? Something's not right there.
My understanding is the labels or license holder get the money before the artist. So yes, streaming is indeed making more money compared to phisical sales and pirating, but it's make it for labels and owners of the content .. not the content creators.. aka you the artist. That's why Radiohead and co. got all pissed off at EMI and their streaming arrangements back in the day when it all started. They went theor own way I believe because Radiohead members and theor management were certain that they understood their fans and their target market better than EMI and would be able to do a much better job making money for themselves from sreaming. And they were right in the end.

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:26 pm

I don't understand how that is possible. Do Spotify pay less per stream the more streams you get? Something's not right there. Unless Universal are shafting him big time. Another reason to go independent.

Zoe Keating earned $12,231 for 2,252,293 streams. Seems Barrow's beef ought to be with his label rather than Spotify.
I've no idea who that is but Portishead have some clout.
She's an instrmentalist cellist background musician. Nowhere near as big as Portishead.

It could be Keating owns more of her own publishing than Portishead. I don't know much about Portishead apart from their music.

telecode wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:36 pm

It could be Keating owns more of her own publishing than Portishead. I don't know much about Portishead apart from their music.
Could be. It depends on what percentages you agree to when you sign, how much advance money you got, etc ... plus there is more than one person in Portishead, so cash gets split between band members, again depending on what was agreed (presumably).

I earned £0.001 from Spotify last month. :hihi:

To a reasonable approximation there is no money in streaming music other than for people who are with huge labels or developed their career before streaming. Sure the IT industry will pick out some utter fluke, probably PR some bullshit about them to make it seem as if anyone can make money, and then promo the shit out of that so millions of people with no chance whatsoever will shovel money into the industry coffers. You would be better off spending your money on lottery tickets

fairlyclose wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:30 am To a reasonable approximation there is no money in streaming music other than for people who are with huge labels or developed their career before streaming.
I think there are people who are making money streaming who were not recording artists under the old music industry system. But I think those people probably don't *just* make music at home and steam that music. They probably do a lot of other things such as play live, maybe run YT channels, maybe do classes for music software companies. Sort of a musician / social media influencer with a great focus on music.

telecode wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:57 am
fairlyclose wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:30 am To a reasonable approximation there is no money in streaming music other than for people who are with huge labels or developed their career before streaming.
I think there are people who are making money streaming who were not recording artists under the old music industry system. But I think those people probably don't *just* make music at home and steam that music. They probably do a lot of other things such as play live, maybe run YT channels, maybe do classes for music software companies. Sort of a musician / social media influencer with a great focus on music.
you are probably right but their number is vanishingly small compared to those who try and make nothing. I have become utterly suspicious of IT and media industries and their backstories for people making them money. This is not new - Rock Hudson is a great example of how a media industry could keep up the pretense he was heterosexual for decades because it made money to do so. Now we have all these plucky little entrepeneurs who become fabulously wealthy with little going for them other than social networks developed at Harvard etc etc

fairlyclose wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:25 am these plucky little entrepeneurs who become fabulously wealthy with little going for them other than social networks developed at Harvard etc etc
Well, the reason why this happens in the US is the ivy league schools get a big grant from a big corp, and the university uses the grant to start a research project which, if it becomes commercially viable, the people involved take it to market. That's how Blackberry and a crapy load of other industry games changers started out.

I think to make steady income from the Inernet requires lots of work and constant dealing and wheeling. Unless you are a scammer running scam telemarketing trying to catch old retired people to give you their credit card numbers. :cry:

I earned £0.001 from Spotify last month.
Loser, I've once got 0,17 USD invoice from a label 8)
fairlyclose wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:30 am To a reasonable approximation there is no money in streaming music other than for people who are with huge labels or developed their career before streaming. Sure the IT industry will pick out some utter fluke, probably PR some bullshit about them to make it seem as if anyone can make money, and then promo the shit out of that so millions of people with no chance whatsoever will shovel money into the industry coffers. You would be better off spending your money on lottery tickets
This. Music industry is sponsored by musicans. Wannabe musicans, that is. There is way too much music created out there for any audience to listen.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Live performance is different tho, great acts really are great and have to deliver - I dont really know modern electronic performance but performed Tai Chi on stage a few months ago with an act called Flume and the show was incredibly professional and one of the women he performed with (Vera Blue) just lit up the stage. People who gain traction through live performance certainly put the work in.
Which I guess leads to one answer - to get lots of plays from streaming, build up a huge audience through live performance

fairlyclose wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:49 pm Live performance is different tho, great acts really are great and have to deliver - I dont really know modern electronic performance but performed Tai Chi on stage a few months ago with an act called Flume and the show was incredibly professional and one of the women he performed with (Vera Blue) just lit up the stage. People who gain traction through live performance certainly put the work in.
Which I guess leads to one answer - to get lots of plays from streaming, build up a huge audience through live performance
Yeah. But Flume is huge!! He's one of the biggest electronic EDM / Future Bass artists around . He did a song with Beck not too long ago.

I am noticing the live performances for newer younger artists are just smaller and kind of wimpy .. less people on stage. Maybe two or three peeps at most and the rest is all pre-recorded and just lights. Unless you go to the oldies 80s and 90s concerts where , yeah, the artists of yesteryear are riding the revival train.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”