Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn Thorn Pro Expansion (Thorn Presets)

e@rs wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:29 am No, you have to pay to upgrade to 1.2.
And unfortunately for those who'd rather not (and I included myself in that list - got the update 'free' with my monthly voucher), I'd call it an essential upgrade. The oscillator oversampling is finally working in 1.2.1, and my word if any synth desperately needed it...

So... Thorn or Pigments 2.0? Because you can score Pigments 2.0 for just $69 USD until December 31 if you grab their free plate reverb.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

If Dmitry still sold and updated Thorn I would consider this a tie, but my experiences with PA have really not been good. I cannot imagine buying anything from them again. My experiences with Arturia have been really good, including updates. Pigments is brilliant. I like Thorn and it is good for making very quick presets, but Pigments is very deep.

Dmitry has stated he will continue to update. He’s working on Dimension as well for PA.

Fleer wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:51 pm Dmitry has stated he will continue to update. He’s working on Dimension as well for PA.
I am glad he is doing the updating, but PA's policies have put me off giving them another nickle. If Dmitry ever gets the rights back himself, I will gladly be a customer of his again.

ravasb wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:11 pm
Fleer wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:51 pm Dmitry has stated he will continue to update. He’s working on Dimension as well for PA.
I am glad he is doing the updating, but PA's policies have put me off giving them another nickle. If Dmitry ever gets the rights back himself, I will gladly be a customer of his again.
so what exactly is putting you off? Be specific. I just added my $25 voucher to it and got for $30 total. 👍
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:23 pm
so what exactly is putting you off? Be specific. I just added my $25 voucher to it and got for $30 total. 👍
I have had very unhelpful and unpleasant experiences with their customer service. I also was irritated that as a previous owner of all of Dmitry's products I still had to pay to get even minor bug fixes.

ravasb wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:05 pm
ramseysounds wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:23 pm
I have had very unhelpful and unpleasant experiences with their customer service. I also was irritated that as a previous owner of all of Dmitry's products I still had to pay to get even minor bug fixes.
The charge of $15 for existing users was palmed off as being how much it cost to move the database over and provide support (lol), but when I emailed Plugin Alliance to ask where my 'upgrade' voucher was, they got poor Dmitry to reply to me from his personal Gmail account anyway. Top blokes :tu:

With the $25 voucher they are now offering that is applicable to this, everyone should pick this up right now.
Yes, everyone. Even you.
(unless you already have it that is)

Local Man wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:55 am With the $25 voucher they are now offering that is applicable to this, everyone should pick this up right now.
Yes, everyone. Even you.
(unless you already have it that is)
Sorry for my ignorance, but how do you get the voucher?

It's a generic voucher sent out by email to (I'm assuming) anyone who has a PA account.

XMAS19-25off4ALL

It can be used once per account and will expire tomorrow night.

This is a stupidly underrated synth that's capable of a real wide range of sounds, includes great affects, has some nice seq/arp capabilities. Great for EDM, but also killer for ambient and evolving sounds. At this price it's a great deal regardless, and though I'm also not a fan of PA's policies, I didn't mind paying them for an "upgrade", especially at the sale/voucher price - hopefully Mr. Sches will see some of that and continue development.

Pigments has a lot going for it; I'd give the edge to Thorn sound-wise (turn Osc Oversampling on - if you're unsure, load up the default preset and choose a square wave).

The 1.2 update a lot of useful Rob Lee patches (not sure if this was ever included in the non-PA version). It's interesting how many patches don't use any of the "fancy" waveforms and still produce such a wide variety. And the Harmonic Filter is brilliant - virtually every sound can instantly be turned into something else that's still useful - load up the "PAD Floating" preset, run through the Harmonic Filter presets and turn the knobs - automate them and it's pad heaven.

All these great VSTs for under $200 - if they only existed in hardware we'd be selling our souls and never leaving the house. :)

Thanks everybody for your posts. I went ahead an signed up on Plugin Alliance, and was able to use their latest coupon voucher getting the latest version of Thorn 1.2.1 for $25 total.

When installed it did not look for the older version and update it. It installed a new version in a separate folder so I now have both versions in my DAW. No need for the older, correct?

IF anybody knows, should I uninstall the older or simply exclude it from showing up via Cakewalk by Bandlab's Plugin Manager?

Toddskins wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:42 am IF anybody knows, should I uninstall the older or simply exclude it from showing up via Cakewalk by Bandlab's Plugin Manager?
Why not just leave the older version installed and have the option of both? Thats what I did
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Return to “Instruments”