How To Use Cakewalk by Bandlab - misc. threads consolidated

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

creativesauce wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:37 am Hi folks! I want to thank the Cakewalk community for telling me all about the features they would like to see improved. I've made a video with my suggestions, and have highlighted some that the community suggested. Let me know what yours are!

WATCH HERE: https://youtu.be/BsogIvcVOf0
I wish I could get it to make a sound :)
If it sounds good it is good

creativesauce wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:37 am Hi folks! I want to thank the Cakewalk community for telling me all about the features they would like to see improved. I've made a video with my suggestions, and have highlighted some that the community suggested. Let me know what yours are!

WATCH HERE: https://youtu.be/BsogIvcVOf0
I wish I could get a plugin to make a sound lol. I've uninstalled and reinstalled cakewalk several times now, finally got it to load the full version. Now it doesn't make a sound. Any sound. I have and use quite a few DAWs, some I paid for (MULAB, Presonus) Some free (Traction 7), and I know how to set up my audio interface (Focusrite s212 2nd gen), load my amp sim vst of choice (that does show up), but nothing will make a sound, not even a signal on the meter from my guitar. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance if you can help me get this software working. Props on your tutorials. I've watched many, still no sound or signal. ??

It usually is because i forget to activate the "input echo" button in the track header.

Saffran wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:05 am It usually is because i forget to activate the "input echo" button in the track header.
One of the "Preferences" is to set any selected track to "input echo" by default. That can save you some time and trouble, if it fits well into your workflow. Of course, you can always turn input echo off on any track you've selected, but when you select a new one, it'll be ready to go.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:10 am One of the "Preferences" is to set any selected track to "input echo" by default. That can save you some time and trouble, if it fits well into your workflow. Of course, you can always turn input echo off on any track you've selected, but when you select a new one, it'll be ready to go.
Steve
That could also lead to more forgetfulness. When it selects the new plugin it deselects the old one.

Saffran wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:17 am
planetearth wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:10 am One of the "Preferences" is to set any selected track to "input echo" by default. That can save you some time and trouble, if it fits well into your workflow. Of course, you can always turn input echo off on any track you've selected, but when you select a new one, it'll be ready to go.
Steve
That could also lead to more forgetfulness. When it selects the new plugin it deselects the old one.
Yes, but you can then either manually activate input echo on the new plug-in (if you want to layer sounds, for example), or just adapt your workflow to it and get used to it. That only takes a couple of hours, and you might find it improves your workflow afterwards. Then again, it might not. It all depends upon what works for you, but the option is there if you want it. :)

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Saffran wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:17 am
Steve
To be precise, it does not select a plugin, it routes the audio through the track. Other DAWS require to record arm the track to do the same, something that confused myself in the past because I do not get why must I do that when I do not want to record at the moment. The auto mode is fine for most situations, but the Input Echo button is very visible in the track's header anyway.

@creativesauce
Just a quick thank you for your tutorial series. I've been watching them and my problems have vanished! Thank you so much and please disregard my last inquiry (question).
Last edited by MarkyMark on Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In case anyone else has this problem. my strip on the drum vst module was bused to "master" instead of my audio interface. That made the drums produce sound. I recorded a drum lop successfully, THEN created an audio track to record guitar. Same thing. Switched main bus from master to my interface. Then I got a signal from my guitar (ONLY AFTER I SWITCHED FROM INPUT 2 TO INPUT 1 in Cakewalk. Seems Cakewalk does not have an input/output 2 only Right imput1 and left input 1, my guitar was in input 2 on the interface...)
This caused the guitar to produce a signal on the graph and sound that was heard. Popped open the amp sims and they also showed signal on the graph but only a clean guitar sound (unaffected by amp sim vst) on DAW. No vst was HEARD. Also, on playback the drum loop could not be heard as well. So I gave up and opened Youtube and wahlahh! I couldn't hear it either. So today I rebooted everything and everything magically worked...don't ask me how, but if you have these problems reboot your system.

Quick question if I may. I've just installed Cakewalk on my studio computer and am customizing the colors. Does anyone know how to change the colors of the Loop Range shown in green here:

CWBL 010419-1.png
I've tried changing "Loop Markers" in Preferences/Colors but with no success even after a restart of CW.

EDIT: It's Selection Markers not Loop Marker. :dog: I'll leave this up in case someone else has the same question.

Oh and RGB 183,123,34 seems to work well in the Tungsten skin at least to my taste......... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Hi folks, for those of you who want to make use of drum maps for easier drum programming, here is my easy to follow tutorial!

WATCH HERE: https://youtu.be/sIquUl-7NfE

HOW TO CONTROL CAKEWALK WITH A PHONE - Using Android and TouchDAW

Hi folks! Recording yourself in a comfortable environment with good acoustics is crucial - but how can you control your DAW?
In this video I show how to control Cakewalk by Bandlab using an Android phone!

WATCH HERE: https://youtu.be/6ndfakrS6Gw

Hi folks! Do you get confused about when to use inserts and when to use sends? Is your mix signal chain a bit of a mystery? All is explained in this video :)

WATCH HERE: https://youtu.be/gx_-nkbqEM8

I have a pupil who is experiencing a lot of problems with Cakewalk by Bandlab. It started with Multi Samplers, like Kontakt and Aria. After instantiating the instrument in the Rack, and loading several sounds in it (each on its own channel), we then created MIDI tracks, each oe addressed to the recpetive sound/channel. Playing with the MIDI controller, everything was well.

We then recorded a track. After recording, the sound was muted (in Kontakt) or with the volume severely reduced (in Aria). Unloading and reloading the sound would make it back to normal. However, after recording a new track, ALL tracks (even the one already recorded) would present the anomaly again. There were no controllers or commands in in action that could cause that.

Yesterday, after uninstalling and reinstalling EVERYTHING related to Cakewalk, a new anomaly appeared. This time, Cakjewalk was stoping to respond to the MIDI controllers. Using other software (like Kinbtakt standalone) allowed us to verify that the MIDI controllers were working as expected - the anomaly was only in Cakewalk.

Frankly, I don't know what else can I do. I advised him to simply give up on Cakewalk for good. What intrigues me the most is that I used and am using Cakewalk on several systems, one of them Windows 7 and the others Windows 10, and I never experienced or saw this problem before.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:45 am I have a pupil who is experiencing a lot of problems with Cakewalk by Bandlab. It started with Multi Samplers, like Kontakt and Aria. After instantiating the instrument in the Rack, and loading several sounds in it (each on its own channel), we then created MIDI tracks, each oe addressed to the recpetive sound/channel. Playing with the MIDI controller, everything was well.

We then recorded a track. After recording, the sound was muted (in Kontakt) or with the volume severely reduced (in Aria). Unloading and reloading the sound would make it back to normal. However, after recording a new track, ALL tracks (even the one already recorded) would present the anomaly again. There were no controllers or commands in in action that could cause that.

Yesterday, after uninstalling and reinstalling EVERYTHING related to Cakewalk, a new anomaly appeared. This time, Cakjewalk was stoping to respond to the MIDI controllers. Using other software (like Kinbtakt standalone) allowed us to verify that the MIDI controllers were working as expected - the anomaly was only in Cakewalk.

Frankly, I don't know what else can I do. I advised him to simply give up on Cakewalk for good. What intrigues me the most is that I used and am using Cakewalk on several systems, one of them Windows 7 and the others Windows 10, and I never experienced or saw this problem before.
Sounds very odd. Maybe you should go to the Cakewalk forum and post there, the developers are very responsive.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”